just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:48 pm
Real name: David
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2
Location: Connecticut

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by DLovas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:For clarity:

Demo: Someone who shows functionality.

Performance: Someone who plays something.
a bad performance > would translate to someone who does not play something musically relevant > translates to someone who does not show the musical functionality of something (which i mentioned previously is the criteria i look for.

Someone who tweaks knobs very slowly, to change the parameters of a simple sine wave shows near to no functionality of a synth - nor is it musically satisfying. The two are interchangeable in that respect.

User avatar
bouzoukijoe1
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:For clarity:

Demo: Someone who shows functionality.

Performance: Someone who plays something.
not necessarily imho. demo is short for demonstration, no? which is a broad term. if it's strict functionality you're after, I believe that is specifically a functional demonstration or feature demonstration. but a demo can be a performance too. if you simply want to hear an overview of the breadth of capabilities of a synth, you don't necessarily need to show its features in a dry way. kind of like when you test drive a car... that's like a demo. but the salesman doesn't necessarily have to show you how to disassemble the back seat and fit a sofa in it. he/she can just take you for a spin around the corner, which would constitute a demo too I think. :)

User avatar
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:48 pm
Real name: David
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2
Location: Connecticut

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by DLovas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:For clarity:

Demo: Someone who shows functionality.

Performance: Someone who plays something.
not necessarily imho. demo is short for demonstration, no? which is a broad term. if it's strict functionality you're after, I believe that is specifically a functional demonstration or feature demonstration. but a demo can be a performance too. if you simply want to hear an overview of the breadth of capabilities of a synth, you don't necessarily need to show its features in a dry way. kind of like when you test drive a car... that's like a demo. but the salesman doesn't necessarily have to show you how to disassemble the back seat and fit a sofa in it. he/she can just take you for a spin around the corner, which would constitute a demo too I think. :)
exactly - demonstration - performance, in this context, are interchangeable

foodeater
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:29 am

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by foodeater » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:15 am

Editing video isn't as much fun as playing synths. :)

But, yeah, I don't have much use for most performance videos. If I wanted to see someone playing I'd search for piano or poly-at synth videos. The Jexus videos are a good complement to his written reviews, but I mostly want to know how intuitive the synth is to program or possibly to sequence with other gear....My favorite musictrack demo is where they have the Gaia sound creation battle.

The jp8000 and modular videos you thought were bad I found informative. The way I can interact matters more to me than the sound, which I know I'll make my own. As long as I can clearly see and hear what is going on I can extrapolate from there. I mean, 90% of synths are setup to make "musical" noises and the ones that aren't are pretty obvious.

Sometimes, tutorial videos can be another useful tool to see the functionality of a synth, especially the ones that use text rather than voice narration.

User avatar
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:48 pm
Real name: David
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2
Location: Connecticut

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by DLovas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:14 pm

man the modular synth video - was just a bunch of STATIC... thats what i heard - it wasn't even filtered noise... it was just distorted static.... thats all i got out of it - unless you mean the obvious information i learned from it that modular synths are indeed capable of making LOUD NOISES

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 pm

DLovas wrote:

^^^^^^^^^ there ya go
DLovas wrote:man the modular synth video - was just a bunch of STATIC... thats what i heard - it wasn't even filtered noise.
static?
there's a VCA being gated by some f**k-up clock or something. there are obvious breaks in the noise. static means constantly making the same unbroken noise as a result of the receiver/radio relationship having no coherent signal.

a sound-designer or FX guy might find that video useful. obviously you didn't.
so move on.

what did you expect?
Sure, he's not doing switched on or even tonal 'music', but then the video DOES exactly what the title/description implies.
Why would you have a problem with that?

More succinctly: what the h**l are you doing clicking on a Noisering video and then expecting it to not sound like static/noise?? :roll:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

User avatar
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:48 pm
Real name: David
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2
Location: Connecticut

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by DLovas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Your wrong - I could find a noise osc or
Something of the kind very useful.
Sound design such as creating sfx for films etc - as you stated is one area that such technologies can be applied. However to once again recede from your Use of technical terms
- he created distorted noise / something with no practical abilty / aka useless static (whatever you want to call it)
-
Unless I see it implemented Elsewhere. If he wants to Make Useless Static - that no one in their right
Mind would Implement into a movie or something - he can do it on a much less expensive piece of hardware...

I mean no hostility in my statements - this is Just what I believe to a view shared by many

And I was searching for a video that could show me
What a Sherman QMF is capable of - this showed up and I clicked on it out of interest. I'm not complaining it didn't answer my question - I'm merely acknowledging its utter uselessness and possibly its sarcastic attitude that mocks all serious users of such equipment.

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea
Location: Exton/ westchester
Contact:

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:50 pm

DLovas wrote:this showed up and I clicked on it out of interest. I'm not complaining it didn't answer my question - I'm merely acknowledging its utter uselessness and possibly its sarcastic attitude that mocks all serious users of such equipment.
likewise: we're not complaining that you're blatantly disrespectful and opinionated when it comes to your post; we're merely acknowledging its utter uselessness and possibly its sarcastic attitude that mocks all serious users of such equipment.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:48 pm
Real name: David
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2
Location: Connecticut

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by DLovas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:12 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
DLovas wrote:this showed up and I clicked on it out of interest. I'm not complaining it didn't answer my question - I'm merely acknowledging its utter uselessness and possibly its sarcastic attitude that mocks all serious users of such equipment.
likewise: we're not complaining that you're blatantly disrespectful and opinionated when it comes to your post; we're merely acknowledging its utter uselessness and possibly its sarcastic attitude that mocks all serious users of such equipment.
I've already amended certain aspect of the post - i admit I was wrong to state that all videos were bad.

how am I being disrespectful now?

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea
Location: Exton/ westchester
Contact:

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:42 am

DLovas wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:
DLovas wrote:this showed up and I clicked on it out of interest. I'm not complaining it didn't answer my question - I'm merely acknowledging its utter uselessness and possibly its sarcastic attitude that mocks all serious users of such equipment.
likewise: we're not complaining that you're blatantly disrespectful and opinionated when it comes to your post; we're merely acknowledging its utter uselessness and possibly its sarcastic attitude that mocks all serious users of such equipment.
I've already amended certain aspect of the post - i admit I was wrong to state that all videos were bad.

how am I being disrespectful now?
do you know what the difference between a post and a thread is?

DLovas wrote:If he wants to Make Useless Static - that no one in their right
Mind would Implement into a movie or something - he can do it on a much less expensive piece of hardware...
you don't see this as coming off in a disrespectful way? what if i said the same thing about your posts in the listening lounge? are you telling me that you think i'm respecting you if i tell you that no one in their right mind wants to hear your c**p and if you want to post it, you can just share it with your friends on some less public forum? certainly not. that your stupid tracks mock the rest of us who legitimately use the equipment, and that you should probably just stick to cheap hobbiest gear? starting to see where we're coming from yet?
DLovas wrote: something with no practical abilty
by who's criteria for practicality, yours? that's a bit opinionated don't you think?
DLovas wrote:I mean no hostility in my statements - this is Just what I believe to a view shared by many
same. exemplified by:
shaft9000 wrote:what the h**l are you doing clicking on a Noisering video and then expecting it to not sound like static/noise??
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:48 pm
Real name: David
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2
Location: Connecticut

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by DLovas » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:13 am

the dude almost blew my computer speakers...
i clicked on the video based on the picture i saw in on the sidebar of suggestions - not thinking twice - and the loud noise was very startling - at which point i stopped watching the video. I didn't see the title until after i had seen all i needed to see.

Do i know the difference between a post and a thread?
yes. i do. the original post is what i was referring to - i should have made it more explicit.

it seems that no matter what i say i will be alone in my opinion, thus i see no point in arguing any further.

you win.

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:46 am

DLovas wrote:
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:For clarity:

Demo: Someone who shows functionality.

Performance: Someone who plays something.
not necessarily imho. demo is short for demonstration, no? which is a broad term. if it's strict functionality you're after, I believe that is specifically a functional demonstration or feature demonstration. but a demo can be a performance too. if you simply want to hear an overview of the breadth of capabilities of a synth, you don't necessarily need to show its features in a dry way. kind of like when you test drive a car... that's like a demo. but the salesman doesn't necessarily have to show you how to disassemble the back seat and fit a sofa in it. he/she can just take you for a spin around the corner, which would constitute a demo too I think. :)
exactly - demonstration - performance, in this context, are interchangeable
I appreciate your opinion, but as a guy who was among the first to ever do this on YouTube, I have to tell you that your viewpoint is based upon your perception more than the history of the situation.

The difference between a demonstration of a keyboard/synth/whatever and a performance ON a keyboard/synth/whatever is defined by those two terms.
A demonstration of someone's musicality, performance skills, ability to perform the music of others, is not a "synth demo." It is a demonstration of their all of the things I listed above. Primarily, it is a demonstration of THEIR PERFORMANCE SKILLS. While you're free to jump to all the conclusions you want based on your perception or motivation, words have meanings.
A synth demonstration is a demonstration of a synth. Can this be achieved through performance? Absolutely... but not through performance alone. Otherwise, it's a goddamned "performance," and not a "demonstration." If some douchebag runs through all of their prog rock riffs on appropriate sounds on a synth, the synth is not demonstrated. Their interests, skills, etc. are demonstrated. If someone shows you what a synth is capable of... then the synth is demonstrated.
Listen, I can write a shitload of great patches on a synth, and perform lead lines by other people... but what the f**k does that actually demonstrate to you? You're not going to be able to duplicate those patches (unless I demonstrate how they're done), and you're not going to be able to or want to duplicate my duplication of some other d**k's lead lines. As such, it's a PERFORMANCE.
This democratization of words is getting ridiculous. Just because words have overlap does not mean they are synonymous.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
Nannerfan
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by Nannerfan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 am

I like a lot of synth demos. Pretty easy to spot a bad one.

I really like SyntheticMachines demos

http://www.youtube.com/user/SyntheticMachines

I don't care for most modular demos tho... embarrassing actually..

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea
Location: Exton/ westchester
Contact:

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:06 am

DLovas wrote:the dude almost blew my computer speakers...
i clicked on the video based on the picture i saw in on the sidebar of suggestions - not thinking twice - and the loud noise was very startling - at which point i stopped watching the video. I didn't see the title until after i had seen all i needed to see.

Do i know the difference between a post and a thread?
yes. i do. the original post is what i was referring to - i should have made it more explicit.

it seems that no matter what i say i will be alone in my opinion, thus i see no point in arguing any further.

you win.

:lol: as petty as it looks, I'm going to have to disagree with you again! But this time to your credit. I think you CAN articulate your opinion in a way that doesn't step on the modular people's toes. I, personally don't own any modular equipment, and I can't appreciate that demo. Maybe a little from owning an odyssey, because that noise did sound nice and frothy which I like. But otherwise, I'd rather watch other things. So I sort of agree with you, except my view is not that the demo is lacking but that my apreciation is. You can look closely at what your about to critique and do the same thing. Because really, you never know what you might come to appreciate in the future. Just don't get too wishy washy and carried away: you don't want to risk automatic gainsay levels of bafoonery ;)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
Nannerfan
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by Nannerfan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:13 am

ninja6485 wrote: So I sort of agree with you, except my view is not that the demo is lacking but that my appreciation is
I don't agree.. don't beat yourself up. Modulars can sound beautiful.. problem is you gotta write music, which these people can't do/nor want to do..


That song was made on a modular..

Post Reply