What are your thoughts on the Casio HT-6000? (Just got one.)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
grahamrlang

What are your thoughts on the Casio HT-6000? (Just got one.)

Post by grahamrlang » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:30 am

I've just acquired a Casio HT-6000, and it seems to be a pretty powerful synthesizer dating back to 1987. I came to Vintage Synth Explorer expecting to see something about it and was surprised to see there isn't.

It's an analog/digital hybrid, and I read an article saying something about how when it was released, it was mistakenly marketed as a consumer grade machine when Casio started to cut back on creation of making their more professional quality synthesizers. It seemed to imply that the HT-6000's label as a consumer grade synthesizer hurt it's reception and it became relatively rare. I'm not sure how rare it really actually is... but was interested as to why it may not be up on the site. Nonetheless it seems to be a pretty versatile synth! Was interested in knowing what anyone's thoughts on it might be in general, if you've played one, etc. Gimme the scoop!

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Re: What are your thoughts on the Casio HT-6000? (Just got o

Post by elmosexwhistle » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:04 am

It's Digital Waves run through analogue filters, the waves are interesting and allow you to come up with many sounds you won't find anywhere else. It's a h**l of a pain to program, one alpha dial and a load of numerical values to change (and you have to read the manual to find out which number equals which value!)

I have the HT3000, the 6000 is basically the same with 4 of everything, so you can really layer up some big sounds.

I have a demo of the 3000 here, so you can gauge the kind of sound world you'll be able to get out of a HT range synth:

http://soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle/ca ... -alex-juno

Go to about 2:10 in for what i think is the best thing about the synth, play some notes whilst scrolling back and forth through the waves in edit mode, and you get the most lovely, scratchy, bleepy, wavetable effect pad i've ever heard.

All in all, you've got a VERY unique synth capable of some great sounds.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:26 pm

HT-3000 was my first ever synthesizer, I bought it new back in the late 80s. I don't really consider the 3000 (at least, not sure about the 6000) as a 'real' synthesizer, more a home keyboard with a pretty cool synthesizer section built in. And I don't remember it sounding particularly warm or powerful in any respect. It kinda just did 'some synth sounds' but didn't set my world alight (even though I loved it for a couple of years, i was young!)

Sound wise I remember doing some cool stuff on it, still have tapes somewhere 20+ years old :mrgreen: but i think next to many 'cheap' real/pure synths you could pick up, it's gonna sound a bit thin.

I sold it when I bought a Juno 6... around early 90s. I don't think I'd track one down today but that's about the unit as a whole rather than it's sound capabilities, it could surely do some useful sounds - as can most synths.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:03 am

excellent synth. 4 oscillators, cool waveforms, nice filters, lightweight, portable, built in speakers, programmable auto-accompaniment (really cool feature). we've got one for sale but will be sad to see it go.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

grahamrlang

Post by grahamrlang » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the information guys!
I haven't really gotten into the synthesizing portion yet, although I did notice that ability to toggle through waveforms with the wheel and change them while playing and that's really great. Some of it's stock sounds are also great for getting some authentic 80's synth-string and brass sounds. The electric piano doesn't sound bad either!

I've never really fooled around with synthesizers much in the past, and this is my first synth (besides a Casio Sk-1). I also haven't ever messed with the HT-3000, but this synthesizer sounds relatively warm to my ears. That might just be in part due to the extra oscillators, but any chance the components of this synthesizer being of any higher quality than previous models? It seems like a pretty capable synthesizer to me.

I also noticed it has a slot for a Casio RA-100 Ram card. Is this the only way to save sounds to the synth? I'm pretty unfamiliar with what the Ram card does, but I would assume it's just a memory card to expand it's memory. I also understand they're pretty hard to come by.

Any thoughts on where I might be able to find an instruction booklet for the HT-6000? I'd really like to learn how to use this synthesizer to it's fullest potential. I'm open to any information on how to control it and really utilize it's quirks and unique features to their highest aesthete...

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 pm

there are onboard locations for saving sounds but make sure your batteries are good or *poof* theyre gone.
the card is optional. google ht-6000 manual. i think theres one somewhere out there. or maybe that was just the ht-700 manual. i dont remember...
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Pro5 wrote:HT-3000 was my first ever synthesizer, I bought it new back in the late 80s. I don't really consider the 3000 (at least, not sure about the 6000) as a 'real' synthesizer, more a home keyboard with a pretty cool synthesizer section built in. And I don't remember it sounding particularly warm or powerful in any respect. It kinda just did 'some synth sounds' but didn't set my world alight (even though I loved it for a couple of years, i was young!)
I also have the 3000, and I pretty much agree with Pro5. It's not mindblowing(though I've heard good things done with it) but it can sound decent at times. I recall using it alongside an EA-1, and it sounds fine in that track. I think I only used it on one track, and haven't used it since. Despite having analog filters, it's very digital sounding, and not the greatest thing out there.

It also weighs as much as a baby elephant. :D

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 pm

maybe not mindblowing, but as someone who has played almost every vintage synth, i can say that its unique and worth owning. as for it weighing as much as a baby elephant, you might wanna take your vitamins and get to the gym or something. :p
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:55 am

minime123 wrote: as for it weighing as much as a baby elephant, you might wanna take your vitamins and get to the gym or something. :p
mini
Never! I intend to preserve my androgynous physique. ;)

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:44 pm

I´ve got two HT6000, an HT-3000, an HT-700 and a RA100 card. To me they´re really special sounding synthesizers.
I´ve got a big list of synths, but these are fantastic. The more simple 3000 and 700 are more complex than a Juno 60, with two envelopes, more waveforms, more lfo waveforms, etc. There´s no sub oscillator per se, but the DCOs are made of additive pulses, so most waveforms have various octaves, so it´s a similar effect.
The 6000 are surprisingly complex, with 4 DCOs, different envelope curves, velocity modulation of filter and VCA, etc.
The waveforms are analogue, they´re a pulse output of a clock going to an octave divider, so what you´re hearing is an analog signal, without aliasing, etc. The different waveforms are the result of various pulse levels and tunings, not of digital waveforms stored in memory.
So what you get is a very analogue sounding synth, analogue chorus included, with a very pleasing sound, (which reminds me of a mixture of Juno-60 and a SID chip), for very little money.

Stay tuned, an article about them is going to be released soon.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:55 am

I own both the HT-6000 and HT-700. They are both deeply underrated synthesizers, particularly the 6000. One thing to note is that the HT series have an abysmal MIDI implementation. There is absolutely no sysex support for patch storage or editing. The only MIDI CC support is sustain pedal and mod wheel, but the mod wheel cannot be assigned to anything other than osc pitch.

The drum sounds cannot be triggered via MIDI but few will consider this a shortcoming since they are so bad :lol:

Interestingly, the auto-rhythms generate and sync to MIDI clock - a curious feature to implement when so much else is missing.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Had one for about a week - loved what it could do despite it looking like a home accompaniment keyboard. DCO's didn't seem to go low enough for good bass patches, but IIRC you could use the ring mod to pitch things down an octave. BTW - the ring modulator really helps with creating cool patches on this. Nice filters - never really got into the programmable accompaniment. Decent envelopes - pretty punchy. Makes some very nice pads too :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: LoveRock, T40, MG500, JX10 4.0, D-50, Juno 60, VZ10M, CZ1, HT6000, K3m, SX240, Lambda, DSS1, Yamaha SY2, DX11, SQ80, MultiTrak, SammichSID
Band: Gospel Choirs

Post by wjmwpg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Forgive my revival of an old thread. I'm wondering if anyone here has decent scan or an original copy of the HT6000 manual?

I'm just starting to get to know my HT6000, and the only manual for it that I can find online is such a bad scan I can't read it at all - I have a bit of an eye condition that doesn't help. It's just chicken scratch to me.

phineus_ii

Post by phineus_ii » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:38 pm

I got the HZ600 which is the speakerless version of it. prety cool sounds even if it is super thin sounding.

About the casio RA-100 ram card... good look finding one lol! I have one and it doesn't even work. I remember getting into a bidding war on it ages ago.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:52 pm

phineus_ii wrote:I got the HZ600 which is the speakerless version of it. prety cool sounds even if it is super thin sounding.

About the casio RA-100 ram card... good look finding one lol! I have one and it doesn't even work. I remember getting into a bidding war on it ages ago.
RAM and ROM carts usually have a memory battery to keep the memory going. You might want to carefully open it up and see if there's an old watch-type battery to replace. There could be corrosion or it could just be dead. That might revive the old girl.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)