What are your thoughts on the Casio HT-6000? (Just got one.)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bichuelo

Re: What are your thoughts on the Casio HT-6000? (Just got o

Post by bichuelo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:53 am

The HT-6000 is a fantastic piece of gear. Its the poor man's Jupiter-8, although the filters resemble a Moog ladder instead of a Roland filter.

There's an easy mod which gives you analog control to the filter cutoff and resonance as well as a bigger range to the resonance so it can self-resonate: http://legoluft.dyndns.org/tech/bending ... -6000.html

I have bought all the parts but I haven't tried it yet. If someone here can do it, will you please post your results?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:54 am

The HT-6000 is a fantastic piece of gear. Its the poor man's Jupiter-8, although the filters resemble a Moog ladder instead of a Roland filter.

There's an easy mod which gives you analog control to the filter cutoff and resonance as well as a bigger range to the resonance so it can self-resonate: http://legoluft.dyndns.org/tech/bending ... -6000.html

I have bought all the parts but I haven't tried it yet. If someone here can do it, will you please post your results?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:16 am

phineus_ii wrote:I got the HZ600 which is the speakerless version of it. prety cool sounds even if it is super thin sounding.
The HZ600 is actually the "pro" (speakerless) version of the HT700. It's an important distinction because the HZ only has 1 filter for all voices (similar to the Korg poly-800). The HT6000 is genuine polyphonic.

This was a huge blunder of Casio's part. If they had made the HZ a pro version of the HT6000 I think they would have had a winner.

rsaintjohn
Gear: Roland System 100, 500 & 8. Casio CZ & HT; Moog Sub37 & Minitaur. Korg minilogue. Yamaha MK-100. Ensoniq ESQ-1.
Band: ceeZED

Post by rsaintjohn » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:55 pm

I've spent the past two evenings with my newly acquired HT-6000, and I'm really impressed. When I first got it home, I was a bit disappointed, thinking "Oh, this is just a 3000 with a few more bells and whistles." Man, was I wrong. The ability to go in and further shape those individual oscillators (and so easily!) just takes me to places I could never go with the 700 and 3000. I'm creating some amazing long and evolving pads and getting sounds that aren't anything like what I get from my other boards.

It's going to take quite a few weeks to wrap my head around some of the possibilities. I haven't even touched the sequencer yet and may not for a few more nights. I feel like I have to re-audition each of these waveforms with these new controls at my fingertips. I've found some very good info (and lots of misinfo, hah) online about the 6000 and SD, but I wish there was more. I'm halfway tempted just to start a blog documenting the journey, except no one reads those anymore. I'd rather spend time making sound than writing about it.

Can't wait to stack this with my CZ-1 and see what else is possible. For the moment, this has cured me of any driving desire to acquire anything new, which my wallet and wife will appreciate.

Question for those of you lucky enough to have two or more HTs: once you got a 6000, was there any reason to keep your 700 and/or 3000? I'm really out of space here and I'm wondering if I will ever really want to go back to either. I suppose two of them and MIDI might lead to some interesting layering possibilities, but I'm not sure.

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:55 am

rsaintjohn wrote: I've found some very good info (and lots of misinfo, hah) online about the 6000 and SD, but I wish there was more. I'm halfway tempted just to start a blog documenting the journey, except no one reads those anymore. I'd rather spend time making sound than writing about it.
I also thought about making a blog or article about the HTs and have lots of info. Maybe we could write something together?

rsaintjohn wrote: Question for those of you lucky enough to have two or more HTs: once you got a 6000, was there any reason to keep your 700 and/or 3000? I'm really out of space here and I'm wondering if I will ever really want to go back to either. I suppose two of them and MIDI might lead to some interesting layering possibilities, but I'm not sure.
Since my last post on this thread, I´ve bought another HT-700. So now I´ve got 2 HT-6000, 1 HT-3000, 2 HT-700 and 2 memory cards. For some reason the 700 is my favourite. I used to think that maybe the fact that it´s paraphonic makes all the oscillators mix to the same filter and that generate some kind of saturation, but checking the 700 next to the 6000, they sound the same. Somehow I still subjectively feel like it have more punch, but I also love the fact that it´s simple, small, cute, etc. That doesn´t mean I don´t like my 6000s, I love them!!!
Here´s a little demo of my 700...

rsaintjohn
Gear: Roland System 100, 500 & 8. Casio CZ & HT; Moog Sub37 & Minitaur. Korg minilogue. Yamaha MK-100. Ensoniq ESQ-1.
Band: ceeZED

Post by rsaintjohn » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:24 am

Sorry it took me so long to reply. The past week has been a "barely time for synths" week.

Great track (and great soundcloud collection!) with the HT-700, really 80s-evocative tones there.

I think a blog or at least an "Casio SD" page would be great. I've been gathering lots of info and have some things that might be worth putting up for others. I just did a spreadsheet listing all the tones for the 700, 3000 and 6000 and I'm going to do some side-by-side comparisons to determine if, for instance, a tone like SYNTH-ENS sounds the same across all three boards. Plus I'm going to write down the tones and their settings for the 700 and 3000 that aren't on the 6000 so I can manually port them over (since the cards won't work for that).

I wish Sealed's HT page was still available, but I've tried all the web caches and it looks like it's gone. I bet he had some great info there, but all I saved was his CZ pages.

Thanks for the advice. I think for the moment, I'm going to hold on to all three and just see how I feel come winter, but if one goes, it'll probably be the 3000. I also love the portability of the 700.

Speaking of portable, here's something interesting (maybe): I also have a Casiotone MT-240. Although its known the the MT-600 was the home keyboard for SD, I think the 240 was an even cheaper version of it. Similar tones, but with the ability to layer them on top of each other. Many of the same tone names, rhythm names and beats, but the timbre is definitely different -- more primitive, and drowned in chorus and reverb. I suspect the same waveforms are involved, though. I'm tempted to open them up to compare, but I'm not sure if it would be at all useful to know. It is kind of fun to connect the two via MIDI, though.

I think one of the favorite things I've found about the 6000 so far is the ability to edit those lower tones and to, in fact, zero out their amplitude. Because in many cases that makes the stock accompaniment patterns much more tolerable, almost like a hidden arpeggiator feature. Finally going to dig into the sequencer tonight, though, so that may turn out to be irrelevant.

Another question: what is the 6000 doing with those 4 OSCs? It's a given that each tone combines two waveforms and its got 8 voices of polyphony. But the Upper Tones don't seem to lose any voices when the lower tones and drums are activated. I guess my confusion is why you can edit each OSC individually to some extent, but only for a single waveform combo. Or is something else generating those waveforms, which are then fed into the OSCs? Is there a similar synth with a similar signal path?

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:12 pm

actually, i dont think the single filter envelope effect on the ht700 is possible on the ht6000. i believe this is why we decided not to hang onto an ht6000 too.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:24 pm

rsaintjohn wrote:Sorry it took me so long to reply. The past week has been a "barely time for synths" week.
No problem, I took my time too...
rsaintjohn wrote:Great track (and great soundcloud collection!) with the HT-700, really 80s-evocative tones there.
Thanx! The HTs are so inspiring... I´ve got 50+ synths/samplers, but the HT-700 is my favorite of them all. Everyone laugh at me when they come to my studio and I show them my favorite one.
rsaintjohn wrote: I think a blog or at least an "Casio SD" page would be great. I've been gathering lots of info and have some things that might be worth putting up for others. I just did a spreadsheet listing all the tones for the 700, 3000 and 6000 and I'm going to do some side-by-side comparisons to determine if, for instance, a tone like SYNTH-ENS sounds the same across all three boards. Plus I'm going to write down the tones and their settings for the 700 and 3000 that aren't on the 6000 so I can manually port them over (since the cards won't work for that).

I wish Sealed's HT page was still available, but I've tried all the web caches and it looks like it's gone. I bet he had some great info there, but all I saved was his CZ pages.
Perfect... let´s join our databases and see if we can make something. Let´s PM.

gilbodavid

Post by gilbodavid » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi Guys. I'm sitting here as a synth newbee trying to get to grips with an HT600 that i bought for my ex's son's birthday, and now have to work out how to use for him!

Luckily I have the manual! Havent started programming it yet. Can you make and save sounds without the ram card?

Having read a bit i'm very excited to get this synth going properly. Making an HT page/blog would be immensely helpful to people like me who play piano, but are new to synths.

Cheers, david