Analog, VA or..... the future?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Analog, VA or..... the future?

Post by man-009 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:30 pm

came across this comment / ' quote " on the net and i can see his point a bit. it is over used! but then again i don't see it as well because i love analog..so what do you think?

..." isn't everyone bored by now by analog synths?
The sound possibilities are not 'endless' and I am tired of 'fat', 'warm' and other tired adjectives that people throw out to describe what are 30-50 year old ideas when, in modern times, we should be far far beyond this... "

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Re: Analog, VA or..... the future?

Post by stephen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm bored with pianos and guitars. So played out. Computers are the future. :D
Stephen(2)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 pm

If analog synths were just a novelty, then sure. But when your talking about a musical instrument, it's a different story. The same musical notes sound fresh in new contexts, and the same goes for familiar timbres. Analog synths have a lot more variety than say a piano, or guitars, but yet they both endure, and have endures far longer.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm all for pushing forward, but then again, I'm against throwing away older technology just because it isn't the future. Anyways, as ninja hinted at, old can be used in new contexts to create the future. It's about music, not gear.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:29 pm

To me a true musician is required to know and use any tool available to him. Othherwise, you're just a player of x or y instrument. There's nothingg inherently right or wrong with either route, its just people coonfuse the two. Picasso was picasso and pollock was pollock. One of my favorite artists is piet mondrian but some painters would scoff at the idea.

Its the same with synthesizers. Are you a synth player or a musician? A musician can be a synth player but a synth pllayer isn't automatically a musician. its a ggiven area of expertise. If your expertise is analog synths then by all means, have at it. But: I expect you to know the ins and outs of every oscillator and filter response if that's the case.
Contrarily, or additionally, a musician is required to know the tools he needs to reach the ends he means. Anything less is unacceptable :) so if u make music with a casio then it better be really good casio music.

those that make that sort of comment usually aren't very good synth players or musicians.....

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:12 am

some-bloke wrote:I am tired of 'fat', 'warm' and other tired adjectives that people throw out to describe what are 30-50 year old ideas when, in modern times, we should be far far beyond this... "[/b]
Let me know when this is the general consensus. I've loved analog synths for over 25 years. Maybe when they are less fashionable, I can finally get a few for a decent f**k price.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:49 am

i hear you Solderman!!!! ...:)

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:55 am

man-009 wrote:
..." isn't everyone bored by now by analog synths?
The sound possibilities are not 'endless' and I am tired of 'fat', 'warm' and other tired adjectives that people throw out to describe what are 30-50 year old ideas when, in modern times, we should be far far beyond this... "
Isn't everyone bored by that argument by now?

kerpan
Gear: Roland Juno-106, Roland JX-10, Casio CZ-1, Akai S3000XL

Post by kerpan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:06 am

I'm bored with all the digital and VST garbage my friends are using. I'm hard pressed in my demographic to find other people who are into hardware... of any type.

Maybe I'm just a fool who wastes his money on analog consoles, polysynths, digital hardware, and outboard effects processors, when really I should just pirate some waves plug-ins and a copy of Ableton.

It's not for me though. I like a bit of noise on my tracks, and all of my friends crumble when they demo their virtual synth riffs through some of my gear.

I don't want to be the j**k on the bus who's writing dubstep on headphones. So yeah... analog still plays, but who really wants to debate these opinion based issues?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:32 am

I didn't get my first analog till last year, and while its not vintage it certainly possesses a quality that I hadn't previously experienced. I was very skeptical about the whole digital vs analog debate for an extremely long time, but my dark energy with a bit of pwm annihilates a virus or comparable soft synth in terms of thickness. Despite this I'm considering purchasing my first vst and just recently purchased my first DAW (renoise). Of course I think I'll just chicken out and not even bother throwing away any more money, because synth1 and sq8l are free and sound better than all the lame Arturia emulations.
kerpan wrote:
It's not for me though. I like a bit of noise on my tracks, and all of my friends crumble when they demo their virtual synth riffs through some of my gear.
Electronic music needs a Steve Albini.

*edit
God damn why am I even discussing this.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:15 am

kerpan wrote:I'm bored with all the digital and VST garbage my friends are using. I'm hard pressed in my demographic to find other people who are into hardware... of any type.

kerpan wrote:but who really wants to debate these opinion based issues?
Evidently you? I'm really sorry that my VST garbage and the dubstep pumping out of them as I ride along on the bus offends you, but being a bit of a d**k about it won't help you. It just invites conflict.

To me the original poster is not outwardly just smashing analogues because they're old etc. To me it seems like it he's just pissed off at analogue elitism, not being a software elitist. He's probably just pissed off at all the people constantly talking about how much better analogue is, not actually angry that people might enjoy them. Could I see the original context in which he posted that?

Also nukitfromorbit, don't look to VST synths for emulations please, they're not very good at that. But there's plenty of amazing VST's out there that no hardware sounds like in the same way it goes the opposite direction. Check out absynth, reaktor, etc. Stuff like waldorf largo is nice too.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:19 am

There is still a lot of ground to be covered with what we have available to us already. I personally don't feel the need for instrument manufacturers to invent new things for me to use, but I think everybody needs to spend more time working out what the limits of what we already have are.

An example of what can be done but isn't done nearly enough:

In my band the drummer has triggers on her kit hooked up to a NM G2. We haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what's possible with that setup.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, XP-60, SY99, EMX1. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:21 am

I'd rather have a widely programmable VA, than a more limited Analog for the same price. Collectors can have as many Juno 60's as they want. I don't get why people are SO OBSESSED with analog these days. Cheaper, fun, knobby VA's for me then. Good.

And I too, hate buzzwords like "Phat" and "Warm". Bleh.
tekkentool wrote: To me the original poster is not outwardly just smashing analogues because they're old etc. To me it seems like it he's just pissed off at analogue elitism, not being a software elitist. He's probably just pissed off at all the people constantly talking about how much better analogue is, not actually angry that people might enjoy them. Could I see the original context in which he posted that?
This.
soundcloud.com/vectron

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 am

If you ask me, music gear that came out ten years ago, STILL hasn't been pushed to it limits by programmers, musicians and owners. Ensoniq ESQ-1s are like over 20 years old now but Skinny Puppy music still sounds like it was recorded yesterday... it's not because of the gear. Analog, VA, digital, it's all how you use it, it's not supposed to be an end to itself.
EDIT:
nuketifromorbit wrote:Electronic music needs a Steve Albini. God damn why am I even discussing this.
Agreed, there's too much safety and elitism in all kinds of music these days.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:05 am

isn't everybody bored of music? it's been around for thousands of years I mean jeeeze...
I think stab is right about gear too - we've had such an influx of technology over the past ~30 years that there is no way it's all been milked yet! How long did it take people focusing on JUST a single instrument before a new style was born? If we all took nothing but a mid-90s VA and spent 50 years working with it, do people really think they already know where we'd end up? i think we've seen a stagnation of a few formats of electronic music, but nowhere near covered the realm of possibility.

I want to see new interfaces/controllers/arrangements/things like that.. I think we have the technology these days to make something capable of controlling way more parameters at once than anything that currently exists.. think pressure-sensitive-multi-touch-regions with overlapping extra sensors, etc... and that's just one idea off the top of my head..

I want to see an instrument that allows someone to play an entire 'track' live at once..

Also, whats with these percussion standardisations? eg: low sound, smack sound, with a few ticks between.. sure people experiment alot with percussion now, but it all seems to vaguely resemble the normal division of drum types..

Id love to see a single synth patch that when played with a certain amount of modulation makes it possible to play an entire 'song' not with distinct separate tracks, but with modulated soudns covering a full spectrum of sound, with separate rhythmic distinctions, etc..

That's where I would go if I had some money and a team to work with.