Knobs or Sliders?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: Knobs or Sliders?

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:17 pm

ninja6485 wrote:i'm still waiting for someone to invent the sliding knob: cutoff up/down resonance twisted left or right, etc. comes with a free pack of doublemint gum...
I think most folks would like a knob inside of the slider. With a way to lock the knob (like some animals).
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:06 pm

sliders somehow seem less intimidating when there is a whole rank of them than a whole bank of knobs.
I do prefer knobs for certain things like LFO speed, master volume, mix/blend etc.
I prefer knob switches to slider switches though.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:38 am

Cumulus wrote:They could have chosen knobs but sliders look cooler, especially automated ones.
I know your comment was sarcastic, but that s**t is 100% truth.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:38 am

Hybrid designs are the best. Mixers have always utilized both, so having both on synths shouldn't be too confusing either.

I'd say knobs if I had to choose one over the other. The improved visual cue isn't a deal breaker, because I should be able to tell a rough approximation of the position of the controls just by listening to the sound.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Everytime I see that o1V96 video I cant believe someone programmed all that automation
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:39 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Cumulus wrote:They could have chosen knobs but sliders look cooler, especially automated ones.
That could be animated.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Hair

Post by Hair » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:43 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Is it bad that I recognized that as Daft Punk without having my speakers on?

On topic: I think I generally prefer knobs because of the greater precision.

Originally I was going to say that I prefer sliders in software, but then again, usually the mouse-motion is the same (up and down), and knobs typically have a bigger target area instead of a little slider bit to click on - sliders all the way for touchscreens though, I'd think.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Knobs or Sliders?
any one of them is a-ok with me;
just as long as there aren't any touch screens :x damn, those got old fast!

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:05 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:Knobs or Sliders?
any one of them is a-ok with me;
just as long as there aren't any touch screens :x damn, those got old fast!
:lol:
Good to see someone else agrees; not a fan of touchscreens either although I would have to deal with them if I want a V-Synth GT. Feels like you have to buff and polish the screen after every playing session just to keep it void of fingerprints. Hey, at least you have a way to forensically ID who's been playing your synth.

Sliders are perfect for ADSR envelopes.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:08 pm

and membrane buttons. those belong in a special place in h**l.
I used to have a Sony tape deck that had the membrane buttons. Pretty much identical color scheme to a memory moog actually! But it sure wasnt fun when it wouldnt go into record.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:13 am

Same as many.. Knobs mostly (they feel way smoother to me - ie polysix - more precise, more pleasing to turn as you don't have to move your wrist up/down just twist the fingers - overall a more tweaky/precise feel) and sliders ARE visually better for ENVs (in my case SH-101) but sliders definitely are not as smooth, esp on old synths, and do tend to have more problems and never seem as precise as the rotational action of a knob.

With sliders you often have to think more about your pressure or adjustment amount, you overshoot, you come back etc.. the human hand unless a brain surgeon doesn't really seem capable of pushing a slider up/down QUITE as smoothly/precisely as it does turning a very smooth/solid knob. When I tweak a knob on the P6 I think about sound and never the interface, it's so smooth and the double finger tip control is comfortable and accurate. On the SH-101 I have to move more slowly or more likely It just takes longer to zone in on the sweet spot I want. Of course it's hardly a chore and simple enough, I could live with it if we only had sliders, I just prefer the feel of knobs and especially their accuracy and comfort vs sliders (and they more j**k action - even new/clean sliders) - a turning circle is a constant balance of left v right which feels and acts good, a slider (great for visual) is all one way or the other with no physical balance. Stands to reason. Yes I'm way over thinking this now but that is exactly why I prefer knobs.

Am glad the Polysix has knobs instead of sliders. Maybe it's even a very small part of why i VASTLY prefer it to the Juno6 I had (sound being the main part of course)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: That could be animated.
I'd wager it'd be far easier to just send the automation cues from a DAW than to bother animating that.

shipatsea

Post by shipatsea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 pm

I prefer knobs myself. I had knobs on my first synth and just got used to the feel i guess.
old american monosynths.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:20 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: That could be animated.
I'd wager it'd be far easier to just send the automation cues from a DAW than to bother animating that.
I have no experience in automation beyond that that I experienced 10 years ago. Sending info from a DAW would undoubtedly be easier than hand-setting all of those cues. Animating that would take some time... but in the end, isn't it just entering number values in either case?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

winnebago

Post by winnebago » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Got to be sliders for me, in specific the sliders on sh-101, cant get enough of them.