Scored a Juno-60

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
factorplayer
Gear: Korg MS2000
Roland SH-32
Roland Juno-60
Taurus 3!

Scored a Juno-60

Post by factorplayer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:29 pm

finally in the club! I have some other instruments but this is my first proper vintage synth.

I lucked out and it is in pretty good condition but there are a few minor issues I'd like to try to address... I am thinking hopefully it just needs a good cleaning..

-output can be scratchy sometimes on the attack if it's loud.. I hear this both in phones and amp
-one or two keys tend to re-trigger when released if they are held down more than a second or so
-the LFO trig button seems to have no effect

Otherwise it really sounds and plays great. What do you guys suggest?

redchapterjubilee

Re: Scored a Juno-60

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:36 pm

You live in Austin, so I'd go over to 12th Ave. on the east side of the freeway and take your synth to Switched On. They can fix your synth post-haste for a good price and with quality work. Otherwise, you can Youtube/Google how to repair key contacts (the probable source of the key repeats) and clean your volume pot (the probable culprit for the scratchiness).
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 am

+1 for Switched On. I'd have them work on anything I needed if I lived in Austin.
soundcloud.com/vectron

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 am

Congratulations. If all else fails, it is worthy to note that Roland will service some of their old products. My Juno 60 had a number of strange issues that turned out to be some broken solder joints and scratchy pots. Didn't cost much at all to get it to 100%. That Switched On place looks cool though, I'd check it out if I was near there.

http://www.rolandus.com/support/service_centers/
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:59 am

For the LFO Trig Button, don't forget to put "LFO Trig Mode" on "MAN" (manual). And turn up DCO or VCF LFO Mod. Won't do anything otherwise.

shipatsea

Post by shipatsea » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Allen at the synthspa does quality work too. I bought a fully reconditioned 60 from him and it's ace!
old american monosynths.

factorplayer
Roland SH-32
Roland Juno-60
Taurus 3!

Post by factorplayer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks guys sounds like SwitchedOn is the way to go, I've been there before and always gotten a good vibe. May have to wait a bit though, even though I got a great deal on the Juno it still sunk me and the issues are fairly trivial at this stage...

gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Post by gearfixer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 pm

I just got one last week and it is something special, way more balls than my PolySix. I also needs repairs done to it but where I live "the synth desert" I"m my own best hope at repairing it.

gd

Post by gd » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:37 pm

I've had mine for 8 months now and still enjoy it (traded a jd800). I had owned a jp 8 for 20+ yrs. sold then after a few yrs. missed that Roland sound character but didn't want another jp8. The 60 plays so well with my P08 and miniD. It is not complex but what it does it does well and is so quick to dial in a sound. I'm not saying that it is a direct replacement for a jp8,that would be ludicrous but it does have the essence of that jp sound which is all that I was looking for. Enjoy your 60, I still have to install the Minerva kit.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:22 pm

I agree with your assessment of JP8 vs. Ju-60 ...

Not a direct replacement by any means ... JP8 with VCOs has an "unchained," much more "alive" feel while Ju-60 sound is always "too perfect" ... Plus, extra osc, cross mod and LAYER mode make a HUGE difference in the sounds you can produce on JP8 ...

I sold my Ju-60 about eight months after getting JP8 ...

To Ju-60's credit, though ... lots of overlap in their sonic signatures ... Without a doubt, Ju-60 is the synth closest to JP8 sound ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

factorplayer
Roland SH-32
Roland Juno-60
Taurus 3!

Post by factorplayer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:30 am

Just a follow-up question is the memory storage on the Juno-60 going to be eventually doomed? I hear bad things about it.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:55 pm

In what way? I haven't heard of this being an issue, there is always tape or add a midi kit.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:23 pm

gd wrote: Enjoy your 60, I still have to install the Minerva kit.
I'm assuming that is a MIDI retro fit?

gd

Post by gd » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 pm

bhrama wrote:
gd wrote: Enjoy your 60, I still have to install the Minerva kit.
I'm assuming that is a MIDI retro fit?
Yes

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:07 am

factorplayer wrote:Just a follow-up question is the memory storage on the Juno-60 going to be eventually doomed? I hear bad things about it.
The original memory ICs are still available NOS, though they are pricey at 30 bucks for a set. From looking at the data sheets, it appears that more modern equivalents should work fine. The only problem is that they will suck battery. Nobody has made a very low power version of those ICs in a long time. Those memory ICs were specially designed to draw an extremely low amount of current when in standby. The modern "low power" equivalents use like 10x the power of the originals (if i remember right). I imagine it wouldn't be too big of a deal to use the newer ICs. You would just have to rig up a much beefier battery supply, like a pack of AAs, and maybe replace the batteries a bit more regularly (like once a year instead of every five years). Note, that I haven't actually tried this or done the battery life calculations, but it looked feasible when I was mulling over the idea and checking data sheets a few months ago. There's definitely plenty of room in the case to mount a sizable battery holder, and the newer ICs seem to meet all of the other important specs.

In other news, my Juno-60 is still tanked. I've put about 50 hours of work into it and still can't get it up and running properly (and I'm someone who has a clue what I'm doing). I have a few things I'm going to try before I give up and start asking for help on the internet. It seems the Digital logic board is pretty messed up. At this point it's looking like the CPU might be the culprit, but it's killing me becasue it's the most expensive chip on the synthesizer and the last thing I would expect to go bad. I need to get access to a scope so I can actually see what's going on. This has been a frustrating experience to say the least.