Korg - original value red LED

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bouzoukijoe1

Korg - original value red LED

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 pm

You know that red LED on Korg synths that lights up and it lets you know when you pass the original value of the knob's parameter? Why don't other synths have that, like the Virus for example? Is that patented or something? It's one of the best little features but for some reason not all synths have it. It drives me nuts when I turn a knob too quickly and I don't see what the original value is.

Barely

Re: Korg - original value red LED

Post by Barely » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:04 pm

My Virus TI2 has that light, though it's white.

hey, that rhymed! Can I have a cookie? :D
Cheers,
Barely

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 am

I made you a cookie.....

... but i eated it.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:06 pm

You know what's even better? A rotary encoder and a screen that tells you the original value and the current value.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:30 pm

a simple LED is better I think. quite sufficient and doesn't use up display space. besides, pots are better than encoders.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:40 am

:facepalm:

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:20 am

RD9 wrote:a simple LED is better I think. quite sufficient and doesn't use up display space. besides, pots are better than encoders.
great point. conventional wisdom would make you think that seeing the saved and current values simultaneously is desired, but in reality when you're jumping from knob to knob trying different stuff, sometimes you don't actually care to read the exact numbers. potentiometers are enough because you already know the visual range, unlike endless encoders. all you need is a quick indicator to let you know how to set it back if you change your mind. this is the reason why the context-switching menu used by Access Virus can get a little schizophrenic because it responds temporarily to the current knob that you turn just to show you the value, but then automatically flips back after a couple of seconds to the last menu you had which is kind of a j**k experience.

I could see how some people would prefer a literal display of the values, but I think there are some of us who don't really need all of that all the time. sometimes it's overkill.

COOKIES for everyone!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:06 am

The issue with just having an original value LED is that you don't know if you need to go up or down to get to the original value, you don't know how far you need to go etc. I guess it depends on how you use the machine and if it's something simple like an Electribe where you don't have a lot o parameters all going into effecting the sound design or if you've got a much more complex system going on. If you had something like a Poly Evolver with only pots and an original value LED to edit it with then you'd be pretty much screwed.

Barely

Post by Barely » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:05 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
(...) this is the reason why the context-switching menu used by Access Virus can get a little schizophrenic because it responds temporarily to the current knob that you turn just to show you the value, but then automatically flips back after a couple of seconds to the last menu you had which is kind of a j**k experience.
COOKIES for everyone!
Yay, cookies! *omnomnom* :D
You can set the display time of knob values in the virus, btw. - I found it quite handy. But the display is a little to small for that, I agree.
The POT edition of the Poly evolver doesn't have the "original value" display anymore. That is compensated by the new and shiny Prophet-style knobs ;)
Anyway, all that c**p is best handled at Moog's little phatty. You have a nice LED ring that shows the actual value and have to rely on your ears that you find the exact right position ;)
A feature that would be nice (and I haven't seen that in any synth yet) would be a "slow reset" button that slowly (1 bar?) increases or decreases the values back to where they were before I started fiddling around.
Cheers
*goes looking for more cookies*,
Barely. ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:36 am

This is a bananas argument about compromises. A ring of LEDs like the Nord Lead 3 is better, and the display shows the value too. The ultimate in convenience (and expense) is motorised pots.

Anyone ever done the trick of cleaning the front panel? Fun way to generate new sounds randomly. :)