External arpeggiator?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

External arpeggiator?

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Maybe I just made this up, but I swear I've seen these. It was an external hardware arpeggiator. Not on a synth, just stand alone arpeggiator unit...can somebody confirm that this exists and direct me to one or just confirm that I'm crazy? Thanks.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: External arpeggiator?

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Oberheim Cyclone, Strummer, and there's a 3rd in the series that I forget the name of.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/strummer.php

http://archive.cassiel.com/space/Gearhe ... im+Cyclone
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Waldorf also made the Gekko, a standalone arpeggiator. (I used to have an Oberheim Cyclone but sold it when their prices got ridiculously high.)

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:23 pm

And to digress only slightly, the Korg Karma makes an excellent external arpeggiator, even though it is also a workstation.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:34 pm

for the price, grab a cheap laptop (just saying....)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 pm

There are also:

Akai ME20A

MAM (Music and More) MAP1

I like using my Roland Fantom X6's arpeggiator to drive other synths.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Solderman wrote:And to digress only slightly, the Korg Karma makes an excellent external arpeggiator, even though it is also a workstation.
Yeah, there don't seem to be that many stand alone arpeggiators. Most of them are built into synths and sequencers, right? The Supernova and Emu Command Station also have great arpeggiators and they output arpeggios in MIDI, so you could use them as "stand alone" arpeggiators so to speak and not even use the sounds. Plus the Supernova has an additional intelligent quantize feature that plays a late note even if you miss the beat, so it doesn't skip that note even if the following notes are quantized. I wonder if any of the other arpeggiators have advanced features like that.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Yep Waldorf made some along with a hardware chord memory device (They were different colours to distinguish the two different models apparent easily)

I have never seem either for sale :|

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:46 am

I use my trusty mc808's arpeggiator...I haven't figured out how to program my own into the darned thing, but I was pleasantly surprised at its complexity comparted to software arps...and you can switch its setting on the fly while you are recording into ableton.

Once it's in a clip then I usually start the sculpting process...its cheating but MAN it saves me some time and opens up a world of possibility!

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 pm

The new mutable instruments midipal does this as well

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Altitude wrote:The new mutable instruments midipal does this as well
Is this available yet? Found the manual here: http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal/manual but couldn't find any ordering info. It is a hardware device, right?

I've been after a standalone MIDI clock divider for a while, and almost resigned myself to the fact that I'd just have to learn how to make one myself if I really wanted one.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:04 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:Maybe I just made this up, but I swear I've seen these. It was an external hardware arpeggiator. Not on a synth, just stand alone arpeggiator unit...can somebody confirm that this exists and direct me to one or just confirm that I'm crazy? Thanks.
When I got my MacBeth M5, I wanted a standalone sequencer. I ended up getting a Future Retro Orb.

Here's the thing, although geared for analogues, it does have a MIDI option (as well as MIDI to CV) that can go to a MIDI synth.

There are a number of different patterns in the Orb, (all of which you can mutate and remix on the fly or simply write your own) and these can all be turned on and off on the fly. I believe on some synths, these sequences can be transposed via the keyboard should the need arise.

It occurred to me that this unit is quite flexible for non analogue synths. With a little tweaking and experimenting, I would imagine you could use this sequencer (or ones like it) simply as an arpeggiator.

Here's a pic:

and a link:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/ ... sequencer/

I don't own this one, but a MFB 64 might be a good contender

link:

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikel ... p64_e.html
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:54 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
Solderman wrote:And to digress only slightly, the Korg Karma makes an excellent external arpeggiator, even though it is also a workstation.
Yeah, there don't seem to be that many stand alone arpeggiators. Most of them are built into synths and sequencers, right? The Supernova and Emu Command Station also have great arpeggiators and they output arpeggios in MIDI, so you could use them as "stand alone" arpeggiators so to speak and not even use the sounds. Plus the Supernova has an additional intelligent quantize feature that plays a late note even if you miss the beat, so it doesn't skip that note even if the following notes are quantized. I wonder if any of the other arpeggiators have advanced features like that.
Lol I thought I was just lazy for using the Triton as a glorified midi controller+Arp. To be fair, it is really good at doing just those two things and is very user friendly.

Also, do all the EMU Command stations have good arps? Or is there a specific model?

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:59 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
Altitude wrote:The new mutable instruments midipal does this as well
Is this available yet? Found the manual here: http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal/manual but couldn't find any ordering info. It is a hardware device, right?
Answered my own questions with a bit more research. Seems it's slated to be available as a kit (with some surface-mount components, FYI :( ) sometime in November. But will be available pre-assembled as well, at some point.
phesago wrote:Also, do all the EMU Command stations have good arps? Or is there a specific model?
All the Command Stations are the same, they just have different paint jobs based on which stock ROM originally came inside.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop