External arpeggiator?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: External arpeggiator?

Post by Altitude » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 am

pricklyrobot wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:
Altitude wrote:The new mutable instruments midipal does this as well
Is this available yet? Found the manual here: http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal/manual but couldn't find any ordering info. It is a hardware device, right?
Answered my own questions with a bit more research. Seems it's slated to be available as a kit (with some surface-mount components, FYI :( ) sometime in November. But will be available pre-assembled as well, at some point.
.
Yes. And you want one. I've been beta testing it for a couple weeks now and it is brilliant. There are a dozen different functions, all super usefull and you can chain them as well for a big midi processor (it can only do one function at a time)

User avatar
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: External arpeggiator?

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Altitude wrote:you want one.
I believe you're right about that. ;)

Would you say the surface mount stuff is minimal enough to be do-able by someone with only normal, through-hole soldering experience?
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: External arpeggiator?

Post by Altitude » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:01 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
Altitude wrote:you want one.
I believe you're right about that. ;)

Would you say the surface mount stuff is minimal enough to be do-able by someone with only normal, through-hole soldering experience?
Its way easier than you think, I actually prefer it to through hole since it goes faster and there is no lead cutting. Just make sure you have a good magnifier, solder wicking braid, and a FINE pair of tweezers. Some flux is good to for the TQFP part. Just check youtube, there are a ton of how to videos. All you do is melt some solder onto one of the pads, slide the part in when it is molten, solder the other side.

User avatar
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: External arpeggiator?

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Altitude wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:
Altitude wrote:you want one.
I believe you're right about that. ;)

Would you say the surface mount stuff is minimal enough to be do-able by someone with only normal, through-hole soldering experience?
Its way easier than you think, I actually prefer it to through hole since it goes faster and there is no lead cutting. Just make sure you have a good magnifier, solder wicking braid, and a FINE pair of tweezers. Some flux is good to for the TQFP part. Just check youtube, there are a ton of how to videos. All you do is melt some solder onto one of the pads, slide the part in when it is molten, solder the other side.
Cool, sounds do-able. I've got some nice Xacto tweezers already, guess I'll need to pick up a magnifier (maybe one of those ones that straps onto your head, as sometimes I worry I don't look quite nerdy enough whilst soldering ;) )

Now that I'm fairly happy with my current gear sound-wise, creative utility devices like this, that let you do more with synths you already have, become the really exciting things to look forward to.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: External arpeggiator?

Post by Altitude » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:53 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
Altitude wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:.. I worry I don't look quite nerdy enough whilst soldering ;) )

.
Just warm up your coffee by throwing the soldering iron in for a few secs, that will bring up the nerd level considerably.

Post Reply