Synths used in The Psychedelic Furs- Love my way?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Synths used in The Psychedelic Furs- Love my way?

Postby cgren72 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:13 pm

I like the synths in this song quite a bit. The xylophoneish sounds are pretty nice, and also the backing synths.
Does anyone have any information on this song?
cgren72

Re: Synths used in The Psychedelic Furs- Love my way?

Postby calyx93 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:55 pm

I believe the xylophone/marimba might be a real one, judging it on the natural timbral variation on that part - the synth bits sound very much like a Prophet-5, especially when the releases cutoff beyond five notes - if you listen carefully.

Live, at least in this example, the marimba came from a Fairlight and the analog synth bits were indeed a Prophet-5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ncAnO4jEg
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Postby cgren72 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:36 pm

thanks, I will have to find a nice prophet vst. And ive been liking simple acoustic instruments lately like the array mbira, kalimba and tabla. Lol now the xylophone.
cgren72

Postby Micke » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I believe that's Ed Buller playing synths in the video you posted. However, I don't think he played on any of Psychedelic Furs' early albums though. Todd Rundgren is credited with playing synths/keys on the "Forever Now" album and afaik
he was a big Prophet 5 user at the time. Another favorite of his was the RMI KC-II keyboard computer.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby calyx93 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Micke! I was hoping you'd chime in and lend us some definitive knowledge :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Postby cgren72 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:51 am

this keeps sounding better and better. I find the vocals pretty funny, but in a good way. serious vocals are kindof uncomfortable.
cgren72

Postby part12studios » Sun May 06, 2018 8:14 pm

So I'm curious too about the xylophone which I do believe from what I've read, TR did play them live.

My question is listening to it, it feels like there is more than one note being played.. like a doubling.. i have a xylophone sample set that sounds good, but it sounds too singular compared to the recording.

the doubling doesn't feel like a delay.. I did try playing it with octaves and that might just be it.. but it is funny how hearing anything not a guitar sound is assumed to be a synth back then. i know when i heard the xylophone my instinct was to say it was a synth.

it's funny too.. not sure what is going on but you ever notice how there is this almost squelch.. choking sound when it flips to the higher pitch. or the very first time it plays at the beginning of the song.. almost like tape punch in noise.. just interesting.. maybe i'm hearing things.. but there has always been something in those transitional moments I notice..

here is the music video and it too is sporting an actual xylophone..but still doesn't really look like its a live performance, more of a "lip sync" performance..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGD9i718kBU
part12studios

Postby V301H » Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 am

Todd Rundgren was interviewed by Songfacts regarding "Love My Way". Here is what he had to say:

Songfacts: Todd, "Love My Way." Whose idea was the marimbas?

Todd: They had a demo of the song, and I don't remember what the instrument was that they were using. It might've been just a guitar. But I happened to have the marimbas in the studio. I happened to have owned a set of marimbas. So I thought, Well, let's see what it sounds like with the marimbas. And it turned out that the little musical theme just sounded perfect with the marimbas, and became a signature element of the song. So it just was a question of availability. It's not like I had to go rent some marimbas. I happened to have them.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50
V301H

Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Postby part12studios » Wed May 09, 2018 12:05 pm

nice find and yea interesting how often stuff like this isn't planned, just discovered through the process. marimba.. got it..
part12studios

Return to General Synthesizers