The Official Oberheim OB-12 Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
georgemarauder

Re: The Official Oberheim OB-12 Thread

Post by georgemarauder » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Yeah, OB Fat Pad is a famous OB-12 sound. I've yet to hear it though. I'll have to check all my presets someday and see if it's on there. I'd definitely like to hear it. Maybe you can upload a sound example?

I've made some lush sounding strings and things with my OB-12. It's great for that type of thing. I imagine scoring a movie soundtrack would be awesome with the OB-12. I've done a little soundtrack-y type work and it's a great synth for that, so far.

My favorite thing about the OB-12 is how it can recreate Arp Odyssey and Arp Axxe sounds easily. Sometimes I like to only use one oscillator in mono mode and use it like it's an Axxe. It's great for those flute-y and clarinet-y type leads that the Ody and Axxe do so well. And maybe it's me, but even with only one oscillator going, the bass sounds nice and fat. Sometimes I don't even bother turning on the second oscillator because it sounds good enough without it.

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:34 pm

I know you don't want to hear it, but it is somewhat rare, not a lot of them were made and they will soon be discovered to be very capable synths indeed. I just saw one sell on Ebay for $1300 and was not surprised. I would buy one now before they are discovered as the next classic, must-have vintage synth.
roflmfao it's not that rare :lol: and it certainly isn;t vintage :lol: and you don't actually know it's about to become a classic. :lol: And even things that are actually rare often are for a reason that isn't necessarily desirable.

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:50 am

Purity_Control wrote:
I know you don't want to hear it, but it is somewhat rare, not a lot of them were made and they will soon be discovered to be very capable synths indeed. I just saw one sell on Ebay for $1300 and was not surprised. I would buy one now before they are discovered as the next classic, must-have vintage synth.
roflmfao it's not that rare :lol: and it certainly isn;t vintage :lol: and you don't actually know it's about to become a classic. :lol: And even things that are actually rare often are for a reason that isn't necessarily desirable.
True, some rare things suck. But the OB-12 does not suck. And yes, it's not the rarest synth ever, but it's true that not a lot of them were made and they were made in a short production run, from what I understand. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've heard. They're not as plentiful as say, a Microkorg.

And yes, it's not exactly "vintage" either, but it's over 10 years old now, and it seems like some people are starting to realize what a killer synth it really is, and that's driving the prices up a bit. That one that sold for $1300 on Ebay should tell you something about the prices. They've gone from $450 to $750 to $900+ over that 10 years. I'd say the price is going to continue to go up too. I really believe that people will start "discovering" the OB-12, and realize that it's an amazing piece of gear. That will just drive the demand up for them. But this is just my opinion. And again, not the rarest synth, but you don't see them for sale all the time, Ebay or otherwise. So you should probably buy one before the price does increase any higher.

And yeah, I can't say for sure the OB-12 will become a classic, but I already feel it IS a classic, because it's that good in my opinion. But I do realize more people will have to come to that conclusion over time. Which I think will happen, but it's just a guess. Once you get past the swirling negativity about the OB-12 and you actually start tweaking knobs and sliders, you realize that it's a monster, and all the negativity was overexaggerated. I'm just a messenger of that.

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Any other OB-12 users out there lurking around? I want to hear tracks made with this thing.

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Mon May 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Bump. Any new users of this great machine out there?

greggybud
Gear: DSI Polyevolver, Mopho
Ensoniq VFX-SD-2, ESQ-R
Oberheim OB-8, OB-12, M-1000
Moog Voyager
Nord 2
Yamaha TX-802
Roland D-550
Emu Morpheus, Vintage Keys

Post by greggybud » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 pm

The patch OB FAT PAD is the default first patch and patch that loads every time the synth is turned on. It's deep, lush and I haven't heard other close emulations of it.

I am an NI Kore user, and I like to create and search for thick pads. For example the "Terrific FM" patch in Kore (6 or 7 FM7's or FM8's running parallel plus some Reaktor reverbs) make for digital pad bliss. Of course send the pans to mono and all the magic is lost.

Apparently earlier versions of the OB-12 did not include the OB FAT PAD patch? I don't produce songs with just one or two synths, so I have no demos of tracks made with the OB-12.

I think over time the fondness of this synth will grow, because a lot of the initial hatred was the Oberheim badge combined with poor factory patches that were apparently replaced with updated OS's.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:07 am

Yeah, most of the "hate" comes from the fact that it's not really an Oberheim synth, but a Viscount (who bought the oberheim name). People wanted it to be an updated OB-8/Xa. And it clearly wasn't.

And that it had some nasty bugs initially. I tried one in a store, some of the knobs made strange results, like the distortion would only distort on certain points, and just make the sound disappear elsewhere when I turned the knob..it looks awesome. I guess these weird things were patched?

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Not sure if those issues were patched, but I don't have any problems with mine, and I have the last OS they ever made for it. There was one glitch where if you sent numerous settings to the LFO at the same time, you would get a kind of ripping, glitching sound. Like a badly encoded mp3. It went away if you simply de-routed a thing or 2 from the LFO. But mine has been rock solid otherwise. I think I remember reading they did patch most of those bugs with the updated OS, now that I think about it. If you buy one just make sure it's got the proper OS installed. A google search should get you the details you need.

The saddest part about the OB-12 though, is that the screens are now dying on these machines. Mine died 2 days after I purchased the synth used on Craigslist, and it sucks because I don't have the skill to replace the screen myself. I'm hoping I can find someone who can replace it for me if I pay them. Don't let that scare you away though, because even with the dead screen the synth is still very much useable. Just keep a flashlight handy if you plan on digging in the menus, but most of the features for sound creation are one button press away.

greggybud
Gear: DSI Polyevolver, Mopho
Ensoniq VFX-SD-2, ESQ-R
Oberheim OB-8, OB-12, M-1000
Moog Voyager
Nord 2
Yamaha TX-802
Roland D-550
Emu Morpheus, Vintage Keys

Post by greggybud » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 am

This guy replaced his own screen. He is the only person I know of who did such a thing, and it took a lot of time to find the right parts.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... b12-2.html

His user name is Oli. I think he has instructions on how to replace the display, but as I recall it's not for the timid.

As I said, Norm Ninneman the USA Viscount Tech service guy replaced my display and it has worked wonderfully ever since. (The only gripe is that it had to be green and not blue.) His number is 715-231-4096.

Good luck!

Valsolo
Gear: Kurzweil PC3, Sledge, JD-Xa, E-MU XL-7, DX7, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Modular, Virus Ti, DSi Mopho, JP08, JX03, CS01, Roland System 01, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: S.P.O.C.K, Val Solo

Post by Valsolo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi guys!
The FedEx guy just arrived with my OB12. Bought it because it looked beautiful :) Tested all the keys, display is ok etc etc,. What I did notice directly was that the sound cutoff totally and in a buggy way when I on a sound played with the ribbon controller. Started ok, but then it felt like synth CPU couldn't handle it.

Anyway, I see that my OB12 has FW version 1.5. I've downloaded the latest version, but I'm really afraid to update the synth due to some posts I've read where the guys couldn't get the synth started. Any suggestions?

Thx in adv
//Val

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:14 pm

See if the reverb and distortion knobs work as they should aswell. They are notorious for being scratchy.

I tried an OB-12 in a store some years ago, knowing that the software were prone to bugs. The Reverb knob only worked at certain points, and the distortion was more "on/off" rather than smoothly introduced. And scratchy when I turned the knob.

Filter cutoff was also iffy and jumped all over the place when I turned the knob. Which is kind of weird, since all this is software.

If you wanna update its OS, find a guide that is verified to work and follow it CLOSELY.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:42 am

I had the synth with latest OS for a while and sold it with no regrets, here's why and sorry but this will be a bit negative :)

- the CPU is way underpowered and not handling the features correctly. The unisono have notes switching on with delay which sounds really bad and makes the unison unusable. It's glitchy , The PW on the Square gets twice as loud as you narrow it ????

- the patch system is really bad, Performance is merely saving some parameters (effects amongst them) while you need to save the Tone first, sorry viscount but this type of storing sounds was typical for early 90's gear. This is a huge limitation. You change a Tone and the other patches in performace will have the sound changed too. Solution > use only Tones right forget about performance... Guess what , you can't switch on the synth to be in the Tone mode straight away, it only goes into performance mode so you need to switch back to Tone , That's no big deal right , it is as only the performance mode saves the effects so you will be stuck with the same effects on all tones...

- The Volumes of the waveforms and patches are an issue, you can blow your speakers or hurt your ears going from one patch to another and it's achore to fix it , and when you finally adjust the volumes you notice that the patches sound now a bit different then before as it affects the effects or modulation less. Again very bad.

- The sound quality is not bad at all. the only thing that made me buy it was the fact that it looks fantastic. will never buy one again and it's no wonder that they did not make more synths as this were not a success for a reason, or should i say many reasons...

pelican

Post by pelican » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:50 am

Didn't don buchla work on this? It's gotta be cool

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:01 am

pelican wrote:Didn't don buchla work on this? It's gotta be cool
No that would be the other Gibson "Oberheim" abomination called the OB-Mx (see http://web.archive.org/web/200601101644 ... ick01.html
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:53 am

Also known as one of the greatest flops, it's one of the most fault-prone synths ever made. You find one or two pristine OB-Mx, and probably hundreds of broken or half-broken ones.