What's the deal with the Roland JD-800?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: What's the deal with the Roland JD-800?

Post by Pro5 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:36 am

Bitexion wrote:Ah. So it's basically a D-50 on steroids with a PG-1000 controller jury-rigged onto the back :)
not quite, D-50 still has one or two more features in it's engine and the pure synth modes - obviously this synth's sounds are always based on PCM. This has a much better filter though, better than some VAs (and JX-8P imo). And using both synths has a totally different feel because of keybed and panel differences (obviously). I did get a custom patch from my D-50 onto the JD - not exact but just as good. It can do D-50 esque but sounds less alive than D-50 (also less noisy). Doesn't have to be a bad thing. Obv if i'm now saying my JD-800 has replaced 3 other synths in one go (not technically but logistically for my needs/music) it also has it's own thing going on that D-50 can't do, nor my other synths. And i love that! :) It will be my main synth from now on.

They should be seen as two entirely different synths I think regardless of the connections many have drawn between them (perhaps in D-50 PCM modes yes this is that 'done right' but D-50 still has that VA-like live waveforms going for it).
Last edited by Pro5 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Re: What's the deal with the Roland JD-800?

Post by vicd » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 am

Regarding demos - http://www.youtube.com/user/retrosound72 has some pretty cool (if only stylistically monotonous) videos using JD800.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!