What synth have you been using a lot lately?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

What synth have you been using a lot lately?

Post by DLovas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:39 am

I've owned my JV1080 for nearly a YEAR now, and only recently its been getting a lot of studio use!
I love its continental sounds if you know what i mean - I feel like certain patches give my music the feel of being from brazil, or spain, or china, or japan - followin me?

Ill post what i've been working on all day later - but i've got a lot of perc / wind related instrments involved - like a xylophone, Timpani, panflute... all from the JV

I never knew that it was so versatile...
Just throw some outboard effects on it - and you've got a keeper!

now i just to learn how to program my own patches on it...

Also i will mention some synths i am neglecting... Ever since i've acquired it, my AN1x has not seen much use... its that damn programming interface - it just doesn't make any sense to me... The day i got my fizmo, i created such nice patches... Also my JP8000 has not seen much use the last couple months - i will start bringing it back in however, no worries. ;)

Your turn.
Last edited by DLovas on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bouzoukijoe1

Re: What synth have you been using a lot lately?

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:59 am

for the past 6 months I've been focusing solely on an Access Virus C that I just got. really trying to get to know every inch of it. all its pros and cons. trying to use it for every part except for drums to see where it really shines and where it sucks. I think it helps me also see the value of my other synths too.

so far it's been going well and it's proving to be a great instrument, but I notice that I definitely tend to gravitate to the same routings and settings mainly because of the interface. it's kind of hard to break free of it sometimes because some parameters are too buried in the menus so I tend to forget about certain options which is bad. so it takes twice as long for me to get to where I want to. thank god I have experience with those buried features from other synths or else I would never have thought of looking for them on the Virus. still a great instrument though.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:42 am

My CS-15. I did the Don Solaris serial mod and like the sounds I'm getting with a pair of 2 pole filters in series, plus feedback from the headphone out. Reminds me of the Minikorg 700s without the FM, but a much wider range of tones.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:32 am

What's weird for me lately is that I've been doing a lot of "stuff" with synths other than actually playing them. :shock: I've gotten the Solaris this week and I've been trying to learn that; the last month or so before this week has been taken up with the Fizmo project to decode the patch dumps, and the month before that I was mainly trying to do something in Csound that I haven't gotten to work the way I want yet.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:48 am

MonoMachine
Machine Drum
SEM/Mobius
guitar

Voyager and Juno are sadly getting no use at all.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:03 am

DLovas wrote:I've owned my JV1080 for nearly a YEAR now, and only recently its been getting a lot of studio use!
I love its continental sounds if you know what i mean - I feel like certain patches give my music the feel of being from brazil, or spain, or china, or japan - followin me?

So, it took you a year to start feelin' those '94 presets? That "start a new thread" good, huh? :yahoo:
Do you even post on vse bro?

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:12 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
DLovas wrote:I've owned my JV1080 for nearly a YEAR now, and only recently its been getting a lot of studio use!

So, it took you a year to start feelin' those '94 presets? That "start a new thread" good, huh? :yahoo:
well i think its because only recently i've owned FL Studio and recording equipment - and in the last thing i put together (which prompted this thread) i used a lot of outboard effects from FL that prior to owning the sequencer / audio interface - i was unable to do. :)

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:24 am

I had a 1080 once, as well as the 2080. Programming the 1080 is not a walk in the park but it was on the 2080. Overall sound quality was about the same but both were a great addition to my arsenal.
soundcloud.com/vectron

HH

Post by HH » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:50 am

Juno 60 with spring rev, dig revs, delays and phasers:
used almost everywhere here : http://soundcloud.com/kimouts/sets/longing-ep/

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:02 am

Octatrack. Pure damn genius.
Monomachine. Does things on it's own, sometimes I have control, sometimes not. Either way, I don't mind!
Animoog. Polyphonic aftertouch on a Buchla-esque keyboard.... Wonderful.
Less words more noise

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 am

Ugh... nothing... been in a bit of a lull really. I should do something.
Stephen(2)

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:25 pm

HH wrote:Juno 60 with spring rev, dig revs, delays and phasers:
Just listened to your EP. Sounds brilliant! My Juno-60, (and 106) is my go-to synth these days. I should have bought a couple of them back when they were reasonably priced. The good basic sound and dead simple interface help me focus on creating music instead of programming patches. As a more casual synth user this is a good fit for me.

What are you using for reverb and delay?
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

HH

Post by HH » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:53 pm

theotherleadingbrand wrote:
HH wrote:Juno 60 with spring rev, dig revs, delays and phasers:
Just listened to your EP. Sounds brilliant! My Juno-60, (and 106) is my go-to synth these days. I should have bought a couple of them back when they were reasonably priced. The good basic sound and dead simple interface help me focus on creating music instead of programming patches. As a more casual synth user this is a good fit for me.

What are you using for reverb and delay?
thanks! For reverbs i use alesis midiverb, demeter rv1. Delays: symetrix 606. A bit of EHX small stone in there too and thats basically it

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:52 pm

I was using an Arp Odyssey for awhile. It had issues staying in tune though and was generally a pain to use. Before that I had an Arp Axxe that I loved, but sold anyway. Now I'm using an Oberheim OB-12 as my primary synth. You can hear sound examples on my youtube.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:09 pm

I've been using my prophet 08 and roland hs 10...I've been trying to do more "ambient stuff" and using organ sounds...I am just waiting for my effects processor to add reverbs and delays...