What synth have you been using a lot lately?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Re: What synth have you been using a lot lately?

Post by calyx93 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Been giving the good ol' DW-8000 a lot of love lately :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

realtrance

Post by realtrance » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:04 pm

[quote="DLovas"]I've owned my JV1080 for nearly a YEAR now, and only recently its been getting a lot of studio use!
I love its continental sounds if you know what i mean - I feel like certain patches give my music the feel of being from brazil, or spain, or china, or japan - followin me?

Ill post what i've been working on all day later - but i've got a lot of perc / wind related instrments involved - like a xylophone, Timpani, panflute... all from the JV

I never knew that it was so versatile...
Just throw some outboard effects on it - and you've got a keeper!

now i just to learn how to program my own patches on it...
[img]http://www.hearandplay.com/main/wp-cont ... jv1080.jpg[/img]

Also i will mention some synths i am neglecting... Ever since i've acquired it, my AN1x has not seen much use... its that damn programming interface - it just doesn't make any sense to me... The day i got my fizmo, i created such nice patches... Also my JP8000 has not seen much use the last couple months - i will start bringing it back in however, no worries. ;)

Your turn.[/quote]

One of the things I've learned over the years is that in any kind of mix, most even mid-90's samples are sufficient to emulate non-electronic instruments to the point where -- if you know the instrument's performance range, and style -- the fact it's not a "perfect" sample or performance doesn't matter. In other words, the trumpets, flutes, percussion, brass etc. on a JV-series Roland are mostly "good enough" for most mixes. It's where you want a truly expressive solo on such an instrument that you start to run into the limitations, and at that point, if you're doing professional work, you're probably better off bringing in a live session musician anyways for the part (or even working with them remotely, simpler still).

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:27 pm

i agree completely
realtrance wrote:One of the things I've learned over the years is that in any kind of mix, most even mid-90's samples are sufficient to emulate non-electronic instruments to the point where -- if you know the instrument's performance range, and style -- the fact it's not a "perfect" sample or performance doesn't matter. In other words, the trumpets, flutes, percussion, brass etc. on a JV-series Roland are mostly "good enough" for most mixes. It's where you want a truly expressive solo on such an instrument that you start to run into the limitations, and at that point, if you're doing professional work, you're probably better off bringing in a live session musician anyways for the part (or even working with them remotely, simpler still).

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:58 am

indigo 2 and pek.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 pm

I consider my spectralis and virus ti a single unit, and do 95% of everything there. (Except for the odd sample processing, in live)
I had not touched my matrix6 for awhile so I traded it last night for a tetra... I expect to be spending time on the little beasty

cram1960

Post by cram1960 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:16 am

in strong rotation:
Modular (Blacet)
Creamware Minimax
Andy A6
Cheetah MS6
Roland JD-990

not so much:
mks-80
spectralis
Pro one
SEM Pro

offline:
CZ-101
Motif Rack
Yamaha TX81z
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:28 am

My Crumar BitOne. :twisted:
bonne chance

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:00 pm

I've been using my AN1x a ton lately. I'm starting to think of it as my "idea synth" cause whenever inlay it - I come up with tons and tons of different ideas.

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:41 pm

I sold all of my other synthesizers in the last number of months and am left with my JP8080.

I love this synth, but dear god I need something that can do bass better.

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:24 pm

RS7000 has been getting all my attention lately.

sequencing is fast, fun, intuitive.

the synth is ok for bass sounds, and some guitar...but I want to use it for triggering other synths.

the real time remix function is just amazing...the swing and midi delay dials are to die for.

you just can't do that with software...(you could, but by the time you are done it just isn't the same.)

the best thing though is that I put it on my table and I work with ear buds while watching tv...this as opposed to working for hours in ableton...I like both methods...but this feels a lot clearer, and makes me see with my ears.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:29 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:My Crumar BitOne. :twisted:
Rad, always wanted one of those... gave up.
Would rather hold out for an Opera 6 w/VCO's... sorta gave up on that too..

Lately I've been getting back into the AX-60. I can't remember how to route the cutoff to the mod wheel? I feel like I'm losing my mind. Guess I could read the PDF.. so... lazy..

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:57 am

My Pro-One is getting a lot of bass attention these days, and the SH-5 almost always makes an appearance when I need a sustained texture. Do Omnisphere and Animoog count? :lol:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Massive, Fm8.

That's all really.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Since aquiring a Virus KB, it's become my favorite and most used, followed by my trusty MoPho keyboard. The Little Phatty has been mostly ignored, and might be sold to the bassist in my band soon. Hard decision, since It's my 2nd Phatty, and I swore to myself I wouldn't get rid of this one.
Bassist, synth junkie