What synth have you bought more than once?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Re: What synth have you bought more than once?

Post by visceralvoids » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 am

Multiple microKorg owner here as well since 2003... microKorg was my "gateway synth".

First micro was stolen after jam session in 2006, second one bought on my own after band broke up in 2007, I started playing less metal guitar, and more synths, chill and experimental stuff (always been into keys since I was a kid and did all synth parts for old band)

In 2010 I sold the microKorg for an Alesis Ion. I wanted to really learn subtractive and programming. I realized that matrix-menu editing was not for me. Ultimatley I sold the Ion to get a JP-8000 in 2011 after encoders and jacks in the Ion went south :facepalm: man that really bummed me out when it started to have a different volume everytime I turned it on and it started to self-edit.

But the one piece of gear I really miss... was the Sequential Drumtraks I had.
I wanted to marry that drum machine because I clicked with it right off the bat, even after a few months I was not bored of it, yet it was so simple. Had a bunch of issues that crept up though - busted keypad, memory problems, etc. After I busted the hi-hat button I reluctantly sold it off. That was my 1st piece of real vintage gear and I did learn my lesson. You gotta have some dough on hand to fix them when they go bad :facepalm: I still dream about those claps. I can totally see why some of you bought/rebought your TR-808s as well.

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:37 am

Juno 106 (x2)
TR-606 (x2)
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:58 am

OSCar (twice)
Chroma (twice)
Voyetra-8 (twice)
2600 (3 times)
OB-X (4 times) :)
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:27 pm

calyx93 wrote:
This was at my height of wavetable addiction
There really should be a support group.

My wavetable addiction was towards the cheaper digitals; I've owned 3 or 4 incarnations of the Microwave XT and 3 Fizmos. I always ended up flogging off the XT because I just couldn't get into it (despite sounding great) and the Fizmo due to the piss poor interface.

I've owed several incarnations of the Evolver as well. I think 2 DEvos and 2 MEKs. Love the sound, but not enough to keep one around permanently, mainly because I only use half of the features. I tend to sample and sell it, but will probably pick up a DEvo somewhere down the road again.

I've owned the Prophecy twice because I absolutely love the wind instrument physical modelling (anybody that's heard my music knows why), but having to scroll around a with a button press (as opposed to a dial/encoder) is just a goddamn deal breaker.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Zardoz
Gear: Zardoz is pleased.
Band: Pecora Pecora

Post by Zardoz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't want offend anyone here... but you guys sound like synth sluts. ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Two that are really embarassing for me are the pAiA 9700 modular and the Yamaha PLG150-AN daughter board.

After buying a Motif ES workstation back in 2005, I bought a 9700 modular to "complement" it. My first ever modular it was both fun and maddening.

Around the same time I had taken a gamble on a used PLG150AN to install inside the Motif for my first taste of VA. I liked the sound but the complexity of programming it and managing patches (all user patches lost when powering down, insane!)

Soon I had sold both and began my Lost Years stumbling through the analog, modular and VA wildernesses trying one synth after another.

After about 18 months, I owned a second 9700. But I became disenchanted (again) with it's quirks and sold it.

I then decided to load my ES up with PLG boards and learn to love the software editor (I even bought a Windows laptop just to run it, despite being a diehard Mac person). I bought three of the boards (some by pulling them out out of AN200 chassis) and spent about two years learning all the ins and outs of the PLG universe. Eventually I got disgusted again with the complexity, and sold all three boards.

I reached rock bottom buying my third 9700, then selling that after a month to pay for an MFB Kraftzwerg which I flipped.

I found another AN200 plus another PLG150AN and started collaborating with an Aussie who was working on a freeware AN1x/AN200/PLG family editor that let me program the knobby 200 and then transfer the patches into the PLG board in the ES. I gave up in frustration yet again and just sold the lot.

Earlier this year (2011) I sold the ES to buy a Motif XF. The XF cannot use the PLG boards so I have broken my link with that love/hate affair. I still get GAS attacks whenever I see a 9700 up for sale.

Honestly, it's been a rough 6 years. I was so buried in finding the exact perfect just right companion for my Motif that I ended up in a morass of shopping, experimenting, buying and selling that took on a life of it's own.

So I've owned 3 pAiA 9700 systems and 6 or 7 PLG150AN boards. And I'm not proud of it, either. I could have better spent the six years making music instead and saved myself a lot of money.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Bought a Little Phatty Stage I back in, '06ish, but was still fully a bassist looking to add some fun. Eventually traded the Phatty for a bass amp. Then, last year, became a full-time synthesist with a new band, and regretted the loss of the Phatty, and bought a Stage II. Will not make the same mistake agian.
Bassist, synth junkie

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Yamaha DX7 x2 (If a TX7 and a DX7s count as more or less the same...)

Roland MC-303 x2.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Some restored and flipped
- juno-106 (x4)*
- polysix (x2)*
- mc-303 (x3)
- mc-505 (x2)
- electribe er-1 (x2)
- JP-8000 (x2)*
- MS-2000 (x2)*
- TR-505 (x2)
- Rhodes MK-1 (x2)* one was suitcase, one stage version
* I was tempted to keep but had to sell to save space

Things I didn't appreciate the first go around, missed them dearly and replaced them
- Jupiter-6
- ESI-32 sampler

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 pm

meatballfulton wrote: (a long and interesting tale).....
That's quite a story! yet, somehow, I can see that happening to me....
Zardoz wrote:I don't want offend anyone here... but you guys sound like synth sluts. ;)
Yes, sometimes...
tallowwaters wrote:...

There really should be a support group. ....
Isn't that what this is?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Isn't that what this is?
s**t, this is an enabling group.

I could start a "Should I buy a 4th Fizmo?" threads right now and everybody would chime in with yes, with the exception of a few people that know about other Ensoniq wavetable capable synths.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Prophet VS, Jupiter 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Korg Odyssey FS, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Post by Fatbenelton » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Always sold stuff and then missed it!

SH101 x 2 (still have 1)
Pro-one x 3 (still have 1)
MKS70 x 2 (now have a JX10)
MKS80 x 2 (gone but want again!)
Jupiter 4 x 2 (still got 1)
Prophet VS x 2 (now none but would have again)
Waldorf XT x2 (still have 1)
Jonny Jones

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Bought and sold:

1) Yamaha CS15 2X's
2) Future Retro XS sold once and just repurchased... :D
3) way to many other analogs/digital s to even remember.

I will say that I extremely glad that I have repurchased the XS...one of the very best newer synths ever made IMHO. It works well with my 2 Modular synthesizers, which are a 15U Euro, and 6U Bugbrand.

felis

Post by felis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:58 pm

For meatballfulton:

this is the link that badmister gave me for the plg boards to run in current pc OS's:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/jp/downloads ... an/editor/

just in case - ha ha. :lol:
(for some reason, it's on the Japan site, but not on the US site).

For me, I can't remember how many doubles and triples I've had over the years. Trying to stay away from that now.

orlando56
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage

Post by orlando56 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Juno 106 (x2)
Prophet 600 (x3, one traded away long ago)
Poly 800 (x2)

In the first case, pawnshop availability. I can't stand to watch them sit there being unappreciated. And I had a Juno 60 that I foolishly sold and wanted to (somewhat) get back. Have done enough 106 faulty chip restoration now that I'm practically a pro.

In the second case, she was like my first girl -- I yearned to have her back. And then there was another mint one on eBay.

In the third case, one broke, and my repair guy offered me a replacement for $75. Did the Moog Slayer mod on it.

A harem of cheap synths. They all sound better, in my humble opinion, than VAs or softsynths.

Will never sell my Little Phatty and Minikorg 700.