What synth have you bought more than once?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Re: What synth have you bought more than once?

Post by bochelli » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 am

Many were bought 1999-2002 going for a song, most as a result of a few friends in the music industry, it was the early years i found most a few in uk sound on sound magazine , ebay, if only a database like the minimoog existed for the polymoog it would be interesting to see if any were former owner, only 1 so far has been linked to prog band Camel.
yamoto773

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Ah yes, 1999, when people were claiming vintage prices were already too high. Come back $1200 JP-8....

Anyway, if you ever do a complete inventory of your "Polymoog Philharmonic," make sure you share please! Your collection alone will either validate or destroy the "Polymoogs break down if you look at 'em wrong" mythos. :)

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:55 am

I bought my old D-50 back from my friend who bought it from me two years ago.
I use it more today than I did back then.
Tonight I'm reacquiring my Arp Axxe that I had to sell in desperate need of cash last spring.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:32 am

The 1st synth I ever bought was a Little Phatty when they first came out. But, I was still mainly a bassist, so eventually traded it off for a bass amp. Then, a couple of years ago, I accidently became a synthesist, and immediately bought another Phatty straight away. Though I've moved on to VA's, I still love the LP and the ease of use, not to mention what a great tool to learn on.
Bassist, synth junkie

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:21 am

Oh i bought :
3 x Roland D50
3 x Korg Polysix
2 x Korg Poly 61
3 x Korg Poly800
2 x Moog Prodigy
2 x Juno 106
4 x Yamaha dx7

:)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Oh, man is this embarassing or what...

Back in Nov. 2011 I posted that since 2005 I had bought three pAiA 9700 modular systems and six or seven Yamaha PLG150-AN daughter boards.

More confessions:

Over that same period I bought two each of the following:

synthesizer.com modular
DSI Evolver
Virus Snow
Korg Radias
MFB Kraftzwerg
Vermona Perfourmer (OK, the first one was defective and had to be returned to the seller)

Currently I still own one Evolver and one Snow (used alongside my Motif XF)...the rest I flipped :|

I attribute most of this to the ease of buying and selling over teh interwebz using credit cards (FYI, I pay the full balance every month...I have no card debt). It's one thing to drop $100 on impulse, what's frightening is how quickly it got to the point of making $1000+ impulse purchases :roll:

Sometimes I look back on this and laugh, but sometimes I'm crying.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 pm

AX60, Polysix, and JX3P. Missed the grit, the ensemble, and needed some parts, respectively.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:00 pm

meatballfulton wrote:...It's one thing to drop $100 on impulse, what's frightening is how quickly it got to the point of making $1000+ impulse purchases :roll:

Sometimes I look back on this and laugh, but sometimes I'm crying.
Yeah exactly, impulse purchases are soooo easy to do these days on eBay and if u spend a lot of time on there it can quickly get out of control - I've made real progress myself by sticking to $100 or so as a rough limit, but $1000 is like OMG

Gotta get that under control my man ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:$1000 is like OMG
Gotta get that under control my man ;)
I was online looking at the inventory of a local store and spotted a used dotcom cab about half-full of modules listed for $899.

I drove up to see it, they had no idea how to make any sound with it other beyond patching the VCO into a guitar amp. I patched up a simple S&H -> VCF sound and their mouths fell open.

Total time spent in store before flashing the credit card was about 10 minutes...plus it was over the border in NH so no sales tax, either :guitar:

But the best part was I had already bought another half-full dotcom cab and was supposed to go pick it up the next day :shock:

I cobbled together a full cab from the two systems, sold off the "leftover" modules and put the empty second cab up for sale. Then I flipped the whole thing about two months later :oops:

I should be in therapy :ugeek:

PS my current Virus Snow was listed at Noisebug a good $300 under typical eBay prices, I spent one day thinking it over before ordering it. This was after deciding I'd sit tight with just the Motif and Evolver. Then two weeks later I bought a Slim Phatty which I just sold yesterday :help:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:22 am

Synergy II
Prophet VS
Moog Sonic Six
Yamaha VL1-m

Regards,

MM
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

Dividedbyzero

Post by Dividedbyzero » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:21 pm

I wish I could stop buying Roland D50/550's. Have two 550 in the attic and a D50. I don't even use them much!

Stuck with the same PG1000 though !!!??

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:47 am

mmp wrote:Synergy II
Prophet VS
Moog Sonic Six
Yamaha VL1-m

Regards,
MM
Heh, a Sonic Six is a curious one to buy twice. Mind sharing the backstory?

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:08 pm

The Sonic Six was repurchased from the guy I sold it to five or six years later. I no longer have it or a Synergy, but have kept the other ones.

Regards,

MM
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Prophet 08 PE x3 - kept buying it because of connectivity, stability and overall convenience. BUT, at the end of the day I just do. not. like. the. sound/tonality. I will NOT buy it again!

Voyager OS x2 - Let it go during a 'f**k analog, the computer is where its at!' moment - rebought it a few months later ;)

Linndrum x2 - Let it go during a 'f**k old drum machines, the Tempest is where its at!' moment - boy was I wrong. Rebought a couple months later ;)

Nord Electro 3 73 x2 almost 3 - Hated it, loved it, now I want the hammer version of it!

implant

Post by implant » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Picked up a bass station keyboard again this time for less and in better condition.
why? It is fun and cheap plus this time I like it for being the simple little
synth it is and nothing more. :)