How far out of your way have you gone to get a synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Herbs_and_Spices

How far out of your way have you gone to get a synth?

Post by Herbs_and_Spices » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Just started collecting synths, and wanted to start by getting some classics. I live on the South coast of England, and found a DX7 for a reasonable price (£140), collection only, about 200 miles North!

Knowing that I wouldn't find one this cheap again for a while, I was determined to get it, but knew it would be hard to acquire since I don't have a car.

In the end, I made my friend, who was heading back up North to uni make a detour to pick it up for me. I then made arrangements to go and visit him for a weekend a few weeks later, and would pick up the synth and take it back to my uni.

I ended up lugging a DX7 home, in a soft case on my shoulder for a 5 hour train journey. Let me tell you, trying to get an object this big and heavy through a busy London underground, whilst making sure it doesn't get damaged is no fun at all!

So what's the most effort you've put in to get a synth?

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Re: How far out of your way have you gone to get a synth?

Post by justin_havu » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Let's see... Back in 2007, Daddy's Junky Music (RIP) in Portsmouth, NH, had an Ensoniq TS-10 for $250. I had no way to get down there, so I had my best friend, (who lived in Cornish, ME at the time) drive down to Sanford, where I live, pick me up, and we went to Portsmouth to look at it. I decided to buy it, but was short $40. Luckily my friend had some extra cash on him.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:27 pm

I have too many of these stories!

I got a Sequential SixTrak while staying in Iceland this summer, but couldn't take it home with me (to Belgium). A month later I had a gig in Berlin, so I asked my singer to take it along as hand-luggage, which he did (and we used it during the gig). I then eventually missed my bus back to Belgium from Berlin, so I had to lug the thing around (along with three other bags) in 7 different trains and finally the synth was home!
Monkey business since 2007!

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:32 pm

The most distance I've gone for a synth is about 2 1/2 hours drive, a new Roland Mc505 with a place that takes trades back when they first came out.

However, I've bought a lot on line and some of those synths have travelled a long way to get to me. A lot of synths seem to just drop on my lap somehow, considering Nova Scotia isn't exactly the most travelled path.
Sexor wrote:I have too many of these stories!

I got a Sequential SixTrak while staying in Iceland this summer, but couldn't take it home with me (to Belgium). A month later I had a gig in Berlin, so I asked my singer to take it along as hand-luggage, which he did (and we used it during the gig). I then eventually missed my bus back to Belgium from Berlin, so I had to lug the thing around (along with three other bags) in 7 different trains and finally the synth was home!
That's some dedication!
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:38 pm

At the time it was a 3 hour drive from Dallas to OKC to pick-up a Jupiter-6 bought on ebay. Lo and behold now I live in OKC again.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Same journey, different synth: In 1994, I drove from Dallas to OKC for my JD-800 with my son who was only a few months old at the time.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:05 pm

2 hour each way drive in a snow storm to get a cs-20m for $60 :)

gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Post by gearfixer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I drove to Wolfville NS from Moncton NB to pick up a ARP Avatar and then on to Halifax to get a Pro DGX and back to Moncton. Two ARPs in one trip it was a good day. It was about 6 hours behind the wheel.
Last edited by gearfixer on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I wouldn't say I've ever driven very far to get a synth, but in terms of shipping hassles, repairs, and dealing with unethical sellers, I've had to go very far out of my way.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Herbs_and_Spices wrote:Just started collecting synths, and wanted to start by getting some classics. I live on the South coast of England, and found a DX7 for a reasonable price (£140), collection only, about 200 miles North!

In the end, I made my friend, who was heading back up North to uni make a detour to pick it up for me. I then made arrangements to go and visit him for a weekend a few weeks later, and would pick up the synth and take it back to my uni.
Not only does that not sound like a price (or synth) worth going out of your way for, surely shipping would have been less than the price of gas (or a train ticket)? :?:

Anyways, I drove 10 hours (there + back) from Chicago to Cleveland for a CS-60 that was pickup only... Worth it in the end, but halfway through I really wondered what the h**l I was doing.
Do you even post on vse bro?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:06 pm

someone drove in from baltimore to sell me my 808. i gave him some extra cash for lunch and gas and what not. got to thank samuraipizzacats for that hook up!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Herbs_and_Spices

Post by Herbs_and_Spices » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Not only does that not sound like a price (or synth) worth going out of your way for, surely shipping would have been less than the price of gas (or a train ticket)?

Anyways, I drove 10 hours (there + back) from Chicago to Cleveland for a CS-60 that was pickup only... Worth it in the end, but halfway through I really wondered what the h**l I was doing.
I know it wasn't a real bargain, but it seemed pretty good at the time.

The guy wasn't prepared to ship, and I had already arranged to go and visit my friend before I bought it, so once I saw that the pickup was on the way to his uni, I hatched a plan.

I underestimated how heavy it was though, so the journey back was a real chore.

A 10 hour drive though! That's dedication.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Kind of a*s-backwards to the spirit of the post, but I found an Alesis QS8 on CL about 600 miles away. Was debating about spending the $$$$ to have the monster shipped. In the course of emailing the seller, told him I was in Richmond KY. He answered that he and a group of friends were going to a church retreat in Orlando FL, and had already made motel reservations in ....Richmond KY. They jammed it (in the case) into some tiny car and brought it down to me. (motel was one mile from house). Bought them (10 kids - not in same car) pizza for their trouble.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Atlanta to Mississippi to pick up an ax80 and cs01. The seller had somewhere to be the next day and was going on a trip the day after that, so I had a small window to get the synth from him before I'd have to wait even longer to get my hands on an ax80. My girlfriend and I hopped in the car at like 2 in the morning for a 6 or so hour drive to meet him that morning.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Herbs_and_Spices wrote:I underestimated how heavy it was though, so the journey back was a real chore.
Understandable - I once carried my DW-8000 (in a box) back home on the tube/subway, and I thought that was bad! :lol:
A 10 hour drive though! That's dedication.
Well, I think Urgetoplay has me beat, on a slightly larger beast... where is he to chime in? :D
Do you even post on vse bro?