How far out of your way have you gone to get a synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Re: How far out of your way have you gone to get a synth?

Post by Sexor » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:43 pm

I hitchhiked in the back of a windowless van, driven by complete strangers to have a look at my Rhodes mk1, which required a second trip to actually pick up, using a rented car. The rental company had just run out of small cars, so they gave me the only thing they had for the price of a small car. It was a bloody huge truck in which I could have placed all my belongings and my neighbours as well. When I arrived to pick up the Rhodes, the guy thought I was joking, the Rhodes isn't THAT big!
Monkey business since 2007!

gordonmerrick
Gear: Telharmonium, Novachord, Clavivox, Thereminocello

Post by gordonmerrick » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:47 pm

Though not the only reason for the trip, I drove to Parsippany, NJ from eastern NC to pick up my Model D. In the parking lot of a FuddRuckers, no less. Worth every mile, that trip (even without the friends and family and shows along the way).

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:47 am

Drove to Lisbon from Algarve/South (2x 300 Km) twice, the first was to see/check and second, with a van to pick
my Kurzweil K2600S.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:43 pm

4 hour drive for a Korg MS-10.

I walked 4 miles in 90 degree heat with 90% humity carrying a Yamaha SY-2 only to walk back to the same store that day and purchased a Wurltizer 7300 and by that time it hit triple digits.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Post by gearfixer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
gearfixer wrote:I drove to Wolfville NS from Moncton NB to pick up a ARP Avatar and then on to Halifax to get a Pro DGX and back to Moncton. Two ARPs in one trip it was a good day. It was about 6 hours behind the wheel.
Right in my neighbourhood too. Sounds like my trip from Halifax for the M5. Did you get it from some guy called Mike T. ?

Not sure of the name of the fella I got the DGX from but he was a guitar tech at L&M in Halifax. He had dropped it off at a friends house so I never met him.

I bet the Avatar and the M5 would look great together.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:09 pm

gearfixer wrote:

Not sure of the name of the fella I got the DGX from but he was a guitar tech at L&M in Halifax. He had dropped it off at a friends house so I never met him.

I bet the Avatar and the M5 would look great together.
Doesn't sound like same guy.

I wish there was a synth meet in our part of the world, so the two would look good together...

I'll put my feelers out and see what happens.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Casshern
Gear: Too much to list.
-
Ensoniq PARIS Pro V3.

Post by Casshern » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:27 pm

A little over 300 miles round trip, but that's been a few times now.......

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 pm

New years eve 2005 full of a cold drove down from Lincolnshire to Cambridgeshire to pick up 3 Polymoogs for spares 2 280a s and a 203a , a steal at £150 for the 3, thats what you get by not pratting around with sending endless emails about them, pick up the phone and to h**l if all your £10 credit gets used, still where i put them to this day.
yamoto773

stich

Post by stich » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:20 pm

So far the longest I have driven is 100 miles round trip to meet a guy in a Denny's parking lot to buy his Korg Electribe ES-1. I could tell he was a good guy, even though he looked fairly rough with all of the tattoos. He later said that he actually played bass in a band that does church music. He was selling the ES-1 to help pay for kid #2 or something like that. It turned out to work perfectly and I tend to mess with it every chance I get.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:34 pm

So far Ive driven to SanFran bay area from phoenix for a synth. Wow.... What a horrible drive lol

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:22 pm

I've driven to Montreal to buy gear, which, while not the farthest, is international, so that's got to count for something.

I (sadly) drove to the Albany area to sell an OB8 that had some issues (all voices worked, but about half of them were not outputting at the same level as the others) for $500. I'm sure that getting the repairs done would have cost me much less than the loss I took on that, but I was in a very low point financially at the time, and a little desperate for rent money.

That was a 3.5 hour drive away.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:33 pm

I've never driven far to get synths but I've made some 2 and 3 hour drives to get them repaired and then to pick them up again.

I have hauled the Mini Moog the 808' and the CS-50 to Tampa as well as an Electribes and pedals and such.

There just isn't a good repair plac in North Florida/South Georgia. If someone could prove me wrong about that I would be grateful since I have a 606 that needs a little work done.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Chitown to Michigan/Canadian border for a 4-octave celesta. *Almost* didn't fit in the car, and a snowstorm kicked in JUST as we started heading back. Would've swam to Bora Bora for that bad boy, though.

Was *this* close to driving across Iowa for a Conn Electric Band, but it got called off at the 11th hour. Same thing for a cheap Orchestron w/ all its discs in Atlanta, but buyer flaked HARD. That one still brings a tear ...

BTW, urgetoplay, criminy, your gear list is out-of-control nice. Congrats.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Drove 350km one way to pick up a Vsynth , went to the guy home , had a quick cup of tea while checking the synth ( 10 min max ) and off went back 350 km home.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:52 pm

January 2006 Drove a 800 miles round trip to Exeter to buy a Fairlight Cmi 2x , for £1250 i was that tired part way back i got lucky and 1 place was left at a bed and breakfast pub slept like a log, still have the Fairlight .
yamoto773