How far out of your way have you gone to get a synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Re: How far out of your way have you gone to get a synth?

Post by fh991586 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:57 am

BluMunk wrote:I've driven to Montreal to buy gear, which, while not the farthest, is international, so that's got to count for something.
Hey! Leave our synths alone! ;)

I was lucky enough never to have to drive for more than an hour to get all the synths listed in my signature. And in some occasions, the sellers even brought them right to me (some for $20 gas money on top of the already accepted price).
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Take the "out of your way" from the original question and this thread might be ever more interesting.

Who has compromised your own standards of behavior for a synth? What did you do?

Rushed home from work before my wife, to get a package off the porch to hide a piece of gear till when it would of been more acceptable to be purchasing gear. Still a lie in my book.

Anybody got anything a bit more scandalous or deviant?
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:46 pm

^ Ah that's not so bad, its people who say they're going to sell something to you and end up selling to some other schmuck cause they can't be ff'd waiting or get a better offer. That sucks, I know from first hand experience :x

But to answer your question, no. Oh well sorta, I guess I've bought stuff I really shouldn't have and only said something once it was on the way haha :D
Last edited by Hybrid88 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Sir Nose wrote:Take the "out of your way" from the original question and this thread might be ever more interesting.

Who has compromised your own standards of behavior for a synth? What did you do?

Rushed home from work before my wife, to get a package off the porch to hide a piece of gear till when it would of been more acceptable to be purchasing gear. Still a lie in my book.

Anybody got anything a bit more scandalous or deviant?
Lead a girl on for a month or so until she bought me a microkorg and stole a bunch of guitar pedals out of some douchebag's art exhibit. All my bandmates and I used to nick all kinds of drum hardware, including cymbals, from music stores.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Sir Nose wrote:Rushed home from work before my wife, to get a package off the porch to hide a piece of gear till when it would of been more acceptable to be purchasing gear. Still a lie in my book.
I did a similar thing with books while I was still living with my parents. Even then, I had too many and they were never happy to see me arrive with more, so when I brought back a box I left them in the trunk of the car and waited until they went to bed to unload the items unoticed... They always knew more books appeared somehow, but didn't understand the magic! :mrgreen:
Hybrid88 wrote:^ Ah that's not so bad, its people who say they're going to sell something to you and end up selling to some other schmuck cause they can't be ff'd waiting or get a better offer. That sucks, I know from first hand experience :x
Happened to me twice. The first time the seller agreed to sell me, but changed his mind without telling me two days later while I was enquiring for a rendez-vous to close the deal. The other time I was told by the wife that I was the lucky buyer only to be told later by the guy that someone was like 15 minutes early than me (email VS phone)... I wasn't happy but it was not such a big deal at the time for me. I really got mad when I saw the same gear getting sold by piece over the next few months on the local ads... Imagine the profits over a D50 + PG1000 + Roland soundcards sold for $250! I won't tell who, but he actually advertised the stuff here: I kept a log of his Kijiji/eBay/VSE alias in case I encountered him again... :evil:
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho