Contemporary analog music

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
dancinggods

Contemporary analog music

Post by dancinggods » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi!

I'm slowly crawling out of the past, in that I exclusively listened to pre 1980 music... Psych, prog, krautrock, electronic. I did this because cannot connect with digitally created tonal experiences. As I sold all my records, these same ideals followed me into my analog gear selections.

I am curious what experimental and psychedelic minded artists are in the contemporary world who employ all analog synthesizers and tape recording. I am also curious which tools are used.

Thanks!

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Re: Contemporary analog music

Post by danbroad » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm sure there'll be plenty of analogue purists along to give you some examples shortly. Like you, my tastes are predominantly 1970s when it comes to electronica. But... I'd like to think, however, that the most artisan and open minded of musicians use whatever they need to create their masterpieces. A synth is a tool as much as any other, whether it is analogue or not.

Maybe try Ian Boddy, Robert Rich.
Less words more noise

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 pm

I really like these two albums by Steve Roach, which were created with analog modular systems.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/possib ... d118265677

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/proof- ... d202720415

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:26 am

Dark Side of the Moog by Pete Namlook and Klaus Schulze. 11 CDs made using a Moog modular released between 1994 and 2008. Very much a love letter to the synth music of the 70s.

Supposedly Namlook sold his Moog system in 2005 so I wouldn't be expecting lots more from him :(
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:42 pm

dancinggods wrote:experimental and psychedelic
Sounds like Boards of Canada might be up your alley. Lots of SH-101 and heavy Space Echo use.

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:55 pm

My favourite all-analogue band at the moment is Xeno & Oaklander,who hail from Brooklyn.
I saw them live in London this year-truly amazing!

http://xenoandoaklander.com/about
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,ION IED04,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

http://logan5.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/logan5-1

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:42 pm

I would say drawing a line in the year 1980 is a little short sighted, some of the all time greatest dance floor classics were produced in the early 1980s

that said if you're after purely electronic for the sake of electronic you're probably correct that much of whats made after 1980 isn't as interesting as say Malcolm Cecil and Robert Margouleff's Tonto's Expanding Head Band

that said a lot of absolute essential classics were produced in the early 1980's and beyond and while not specifically electronic in genre they did use analog synths and the best possible analog mastering techniques to produce the music

I am sure you are familiar with the inspiration for all techno music: Manuel Göttsching's E2-E4

will leave you with these and let you decide

Willie Colon - Set Fire To Me:

Arthur Russell's Dinosaur L - Go Bang #5:

Man Friday - Love Honey:

Elektrik Funk - On A Journey:

Funk Fusion Band - Can you Feel It:

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:18 pm

recordbot wrote:
Elektrik Funk - On A Journey:

^ super cool ^

amenmodem

Post by amenmodem » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Been really digging this guy lately.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:36 pm

These are a little outside the realm of 'all' analog synthesizers, but contemporary talent heavily employing such devices.....great sound, great music, great songwriting.

Anything Steve Moore has put his hands on:
Gianni Rossi - italo-disco influenced soundtrack material, drum machines/sequencers/lots of analog fun
Zombi - live band, real drums/gritty guitars/nasty analog synth sequences/soundscapes

Anything the band Air has put out. Tons of vintage analog goodies mixed with acoustic instruments and voice. My favorite albums are Talkie Walkie, Virgin Sucides (Score), and 10,000 Hertz Legend. Vintage outboard, consoles and tape machines.

Cornelius: Point, Sensuous - close mic'd chopped and looped vintage synths, soft synths, acoustic instruments, and voice. One of those dudes that proves the 'they're all just tools' concept to the LETTER.

Enjoy!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:50 pm

I use all analog synths (mostly monophonic) and record them direct with no effects. I have had some forays into tape, but it requires a level of patience and focus that is already exhausted for me in the fact that I use all analog synths and record them direct with no effects. :D I also perform with analog-only synths.

While you've probably never heard of my band, my music is heard by thousands of people daily. If you're an analog synth fan, you've probably heard it... and don't know it. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

dancinggods

Post by dancinggods » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:41 am

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. So by contemporary, I mean operating currently, releasing records now. There were some good suggestions here, I'm still interested in finding something 100% analog. I myself use arp, eml and Oberheim synths with farfisa and rmi keyboards. I record on tape with a 1978 console. I also have a 60s drum kit and old mics. I do limited realeases mastered onto cassette and reproduced on a tape duplication machine in my studio. when I did a 45 last year it was mastered to lacquer straight from tape.

Does anyone else produce music in this fashion? I also do all my own layouts and graphic design by hand, and overhead projector light and color backdrops for live performance.

Now to the responses, Automatic gainsay, you are mark doty, correct? I think youve got some of the best synth demos on YouTube, thanks for being thorough and objective as far as use and functionality. I am only familiar with your music through those videos.

I have only heard a little steve Moore, will have to check out more.

I will say that two things I've been into are first, sinoia caves. The synth dude from black mountain, who uses a mellotron, Oberheim 2 voice, arp 2600 and such, my kind of set up... Quite good.

The other is peaking lights, not really analog, but with the ideals of reuse and imagination, I find it to be great.

I just want to know who else works on my level, as far as making contemporary contacts.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:19 am

Very ambitious project, but I love the idea of using all analog gear and tape, etc. It sounds "vintage", or whatever term you wish. I only wish my band was that old school, but alas, aside from my 2 analog monosynths, and the bassists analog pedalboard, we use MIDI everything and record digitally. Even the guitarist has a MIDI pick-up on his guitar, not to mention my VA synth which gets alot of track space. I *think* we sound good, and have a sort of old school vibe, but nothing close to what's been described here. Will be interested in checking out some tracks for sure, thanks.
Bassist, synth junkie

RichShan
Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Post by RichShan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Check out Death by Dinsync by Rusuden. It's extremely contemporary- it's only about a year old.

I'm pretty sure he's a member here. In fact I'm sure I got that album because he'd posted its release on here.

(Somewhere) he lists all of the analogue gear he used on the album. A few that I can remember include Roland SH5, a couple of TRs and a Prophet 600.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

and then of course there's the Analords series by Aphex Twin. And most of his ambient works use gorgeously soft analogue synths.

Peace.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Old favourite.
Herrare umanum est.