Contemporary analog music

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Contemporary analog music

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 am

dancinggods wrote:I will say that two things I've been into are first, sinoia caves. The synth dude from black mountain, who uses a mellotron, Oberheim 2 voice, arp 2600 and such, my kind of set up... Quite good.
You might find that Jeremy isn't as anal about using analogue gear as you are, he uses a memotron and a couple of digital synths as well. I played a show with him last year and a friend of mine is good friends with him.

I personally don't think there's anything to be gained by limiting yourself to gear from a certain time period or by leaving digital processes out of recording. To begin with you might like that particular sound you get that comes from using that gear, but as you get better at producing you'll learn how to get the sound you want from any gear.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:30 am

Because embracing a certain sound that inspires you isn't about aesthetic, it's about lacking production skill.
And, just like with synths, you can get the very same results from any production gear. All of this stuff about the sound quality of mixers, the coloring characteristics of mics, and etc... well, that's all because people are just too ignorant to be able to get the same sounds that are possible from ALL equipment.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:00 am

I think you're extrapolating a little far and in the wrong direction from what I said Marc. :)

I'm saying be inspired by a certain aesthetic but learn what it is that gives what you like the qualities that you like. Obviously I don't think you can get any sound from any synth, otherwise I wouldn't have spent a small fortune on a modular. :P But things like the sound of recording to tape (on a properly set up and maintained machine) can be reproduced in a DAW which gives you the ability to edit without splicing. Learning what gives a particular synth its sweet spot helps you learn to program all synths. Identifying the way a particular EQ works means you can recreate the curve in a software EQ.

I find that a lot of music that sounds like it was made in a DAW sounds that way because not enough attention was paid to production and things come out overly clean and sterile, not because DAWs have an inherent sound. If you're using older gear (let's just say pre-1980) then not paying attention to production won't give you a clean and sterile sound and that's why a lot of people like it. If you know what it is that makes the sound you're aiming for you can get it with a DAW, which means you don't have to spend time maintaining the tape machine, don't have to choose between spending a fortune on tape or not archiving your work, don't have to punch in destructively etc.

I guy I know who records a lot of garage/punk stuff around here used to do everything on a Teac 1/2" 8-track cause he liked the way it sounded and the process of working with it and a mixing desk to record stuff. After a while he got sick of all the hassles of working with tape and started messing around with using 8 valve pres (of a kind which is currently available new) into Logic. Cause he knew what it was about the tape machine that he liked he quickly learnt to nail the sound he was going for in the DAW and his aesthetic is intact even though he's changed platforms. He still records drums with just a kick mic and OH and tracks the band live in the room even though he doesn't have to any more.

What I'm saying is enjoy your aesthetic but understand it as well. Don't spurn something just because of when it was made or because someone has used it to do something you don't like. :thumbleft:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:06 am

Fair enough, and I withdraw my sarcasm.
But I wasn't doing any spurning! I believe people should be free to do whatever they like... whether that's when they're happy to use whatever they want, or they're a freak who feels like they're happiest when everything they use is old and inconvenient. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

dancinggods

Post by dancinggods » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:53 pm

In response to the above dialogue, there are three concepts to keep in mind...

1. Resonance
2. Alchemy
3. Time travel

Not at all to discount the importance of power and energy versus approximations of such.

dancinggods

Post by dancinggods » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:25 pm

i discovered a great project out of belgium called BEAR BONES, LAY LOW. from what i can tell he primarily uses an old roland 1000, which in listening to his work, he pushes it beyond all it's boundaries. and also uses an ms-10 sometimes. I read in an interview that he only records on tape as well, it's nice stuff.

http://www.foxydigitalis.com/foxyd/?p=7979

the band locrian has also caught my attention lately, from chicago. i've seen pictures with the guitar player running through an arp avatar and an echoplex, with a bunch of keyboards off on another part of the stage. the music is great though, dynamic and moving.

there's gotta be more all analog synthesists and recorders out there.

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:49 pm

how's about a bit of ceephax, it's pretty much all hardware even if some of it is digital

and who could forget the mighty jeeroj? :biggrin: :biggrin:
this tune is all analogue...
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:50 pm

I don't understand limiting what one listens to based only on the instruments the musicians use but here are some that come to mind:

Stereolab
Portishead
Broadcast
Com Truise
Oneohtrix Point Never (Analog synth...But beware! Digital beats!!! And Samples!!!)

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:19 pm

recordbot wrote:I would say drawing a line in the year 1980 is a little short sighted, some of the all time greatest dance floor classics were produced in the early 1980s

that said if you're after purely electronic for the sake of electronic you're probably correct that much of whats made after 1980 isn't as interesting as say Malcolm Cecil and Robert Margouleff's Tonto's Expanding Head Band

that said a lot of absolute essential classics were produced in the early 1980's and beyond and while not specifically electronic in genre they did use analog synths and the best possible analog mastering techniques to produce the music

I am sure you are familiar with the inspiration for all techno music: Manuel Göttsching's E2-E4

will leave you with these and let you decide

Willie Colon - Set Fire To Me:

Arthur Russell's Dinosaur L - Go Bang #5:

Man Friday - Love Honey:

Elektrik Funk - On A Journey:

Funk Fusion Band - Can you Feel It:

simply epic choice of trax here.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:01 pm

dancinggods wrote: I'm still interested in finding something 100% analog. I myself use arp, eml and Oberheim synths with farfisa and rmi keyboards. I record on tape with a 1978 console. I also have a 60s drum kit and old mics. I do limited realeases mastered onto cassette and reproduced on a tape duplication machine in my studio. when I did a 45 last year it was mastered to lacquer straight from tape.
So you want analog recordings of analog synths pressed on analog media? That's going to be a lot harder to find. It's more common among lo-fi tape-cassette-loving indie rockers.

But using that drum kit in your recordings means that even your recordings aren't 100% analog! :o

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:36 am

How about I accelerate you out of the past of analogue music and into the future of analogue music? Honestly if you're looking for more modern analogue music but still require it to be made on ancient equipment with ancient techniques you're not going to get out of your rut much.

Wolfgang gartner mainly uses a Poly evolver and other analogue synths (Voyager, Little phatty, Andromeda, white face odyssey, Roland Sh-5 etc.) for most of the generated basses and leads in his music but combines that with modern production methods, post processing and sampling techniques.

E.G the bassline in this song, 100% poly evolver :).

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:41 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:but it requires a level of patience and focus that is already exhausted for me in the fact that I use all analog synths and record them direct with no effects.
I'm sure it must be really exhausting using no post-processing on your synths ;)