A Daft Punk "How'd they make that sound?" Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hair

Re: A Daft Punk "How'd they make that sound?" Thread

Post by Hair » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:00 pm

well according to wikipedia (with cited sources), the human after all album was improvised in about 6 weeks, and was created primarily with two guitars and a drum machine

to me it sounds like they recorded the vocals themselves, maybe pitched down before vocoding?

I am very curious about the distinctive bit reduction effects all over the record - that really interesting hollow quality, maybe some kind of formant business involved

the only obvious synth sound to me is the lead in robot rock, sampled from breakwater's "release the beast"

thosquanta
Gear: korg ds-10, ex-800, ms-2000; dotcom porta-22, nord micro modular, roland alpha juno-1, jx-3p, mc505; akai s2000, emu morpheus, red sounds darkstar
Band: thosquanta

Post by thosquanta » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Kidney05 wrote: i was hoping this topic wouldn't turn into "what gear do they have so i can copy" and rather it be "how did they make interesting sound X"
well, on the plus side, based on the picture, theres only 1 piece of gear...they just have a lot of it.

pretty cool, tho.

i bet my band would sound better inside a giant pyramid.

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:34 am

damn that's a nice layout.
What are the black things in the middle at No. 3?

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:44 am

Daft Punk sample about 65% of their music....and run it through analog filters/effects. They just mash it up and make it dirty.

The main synth riff used in Robot Rock is a sample from an old record....all they did was pitch it upwards slightly. The sound itself is a factory preset from the Prophet 5.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

Horace
Gear: Juno 6, MG-1, 707, ES-1, KP3, x0xb0x, 2 turntables, a microphone

Post by Horace » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:42 pm

nogginj wrote:i believe its these:
http://theworldisdaft.wordpress.com/201 ... and-beats/
Fascinating link! Those "vocal" sounds most defiantly sound like a guitar run through some form of flanger pedal with reduced sample rate for grit. I can hear them changing the overdrive of the guitar underneath the effect.

I remember doing a Daft Punk cover of rolling and scratching at one of my shows, used a Juno 6 and a crappy boss overdrive to get that screaming lead

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:18 pm

I think I seen one of the guys using an SH-101 with broken keys in an old vid. The formant vocal sounds could be a talk modulation effect that they switch between vowels. Sounds like some vocoding too, and maybe a talk box, and or possibly a control delay can make vocals sound very robotic too. I've also seen them using a couple minimoog RMEs in some of their newer vids.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Miles Powerhouse

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Anyone here a member of TDC?

I am, and we know a lot about Daft Punk. I know that HAA was made with nothing more than two guitars, a talkbox, and a drum machine. They did only spend 6 weeks on the album; 4 weeks recording, 2 weeks mastering/mixing.

Homework was made with a variety of synths: a member of TDC proved that DP used a Juno-106 on Rollin 'n' Scratchin, Rock 'n' Roll, and possibly Burnin'. They sent it through a Distortion pedal of some kind.

Discovery was made with more samples then they admit. Thomas Bangalter's father is Daniel Vangarde. They could have gotten some sample clearance through him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Ndijo2ysM has most of the samples from Discovery. 8,9,and 10 are most likely wrong.

Robonaut
Gear: Roland JD-800
Roland JV-2080
Roland SH-101
Studio Electronics Omega 8

Post by Robonaut » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Hair wrote:well according to wikipedia (with cited sources), the human after all album was improvised in about 6 weeks, and was created primarily with two guitars and a drum machine
And it sounds like it!

Jesus, that crappy album was such a massive disappointment after "Discovery".

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Robonaut wrote:And it sounds like it!
Agreed, but they more than made up for it with Tron: Legacy. Beautifully understated.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 pm

also:
Ensoniq DP4
emu sp1200
roland sp808
yamaha cs80 and cs60
and a Mac running Logic.

I always thought HAA could have been salvaged if they ditched all the filler and put it out as an EP. Personally I was far more disappointed with the Tron soundtrack; to my ears it just sounded like Hans Zimmer phoning it in. I guess I was expecting something a little more unique.

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14 am

If you listen to those raw tracks you can tell that in addition to guitars, a drum machine, and talkbox, they also had tons of outboard effects (maybe a modular system?), and at least one synth.

Probably a sampler for the, you know, samples...though i imagine that could have been done in a daw.

I think Human After All is a killer album ... great changeup from homework and discovery. And it pisses a lot of people off so you know its classic ;].
Hair wrote:I am very curious about the distinctive bit reduction effects all over the record - that really interesting hollow quality, maybe some kind of formant business involved
I'm really curious about this too....that kind of rickety, rocks rolling around in a can type effect. I love that and it's all over the album.

There is a pretty good recreation of a typical synth sound from HAA at this link: http://www.hellosamples.com/2011/10/13/ ... ool-vol-1/

No bit reducer, but lots of oscillator cross modulation and that can kind of approximate bit crushing if you use a square wave.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 am

lazerface wrote:damn that's a nice layout.
(now defunct) JazzMutant Lemur controller touchscreens.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Yoozer wrote:
although they did use jazzmutants in later performances I think the devices shown in the above photo are maybe just regular monitors, if you look at this photo taken from a slightly different angle you can see what looks like a VGA cable connecting to the left hand side of the unit,

from what I understand all the ports on the Jazzmutant are on the back

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 am

I was always under the impression that they used talk boxes for their vocal parts, hence the helmets to hide the tubes. I'm probably not correct, just what I thought.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:21 am

SKINNYPIG wrote:
Yoozer wrote:
although they did use jazzmutants in later performances I think the devices shown in the above photo are maybe just regular monitors, if you look at this photo taken from a slightly different angle you can see what looks like a VGA cable connecting to the left hand side of the unit,

from what I understand all the ports on the Jazzmutant are on the back
It also looks like there's a network cable going in below the VGA, so maybe these were pre-production lemurs or something.