Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Dano
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:03 pm
Location: Springfield, IL USA

Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Dano » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:53 pm

I thought this was interesting: Interview of Dave Rossum in Polyphony Magazine November/December 1981


http://www.siliconbreakdown.com/rossum_interview.htm

Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V
Location: Central VA

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:16 pm

His story kind of takes away from some of the mystique about the Prophet 5 and Oberheim polysynhs...

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:40 am
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z
Location: Regina, SK
Contact:

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Ry-Fi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:11 pm

Very cool!

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Lisbon

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Mooger5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:16 pm

Great read! Thanks.
Herrare umanum est.

User avatar
Dano
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:03 pm
Location: Springfield, IL USA

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Dano » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 am

Ashe37 wrote:His story kind of takes away from some of the mystique about the Prophet 5 and Oberheim polysynhs...

My thought exactlyI

...glad you guys liked it! :)

User avatar
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 8:26 pm
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks for the great link/read!
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:09 am

yeah, ditto!

Interesting to hear what his concept of a "digital" synth was; really no different than what things like the V-synth are 20 years later. Also interesting to hear his very pragmatic opinions on analog vs. digital. Could've used that during the great analog vs. digital wars of a few years ago.
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:59 am
Location: London

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by kayvon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:03 am

So E-mu was named after a drug? E-mu-25. I wonder what that is?

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Lisbon

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:24 am

I believe E-mu stands for Electronic Music. 25 was the model number of one of their products.
Herrare umanum est.

RyanC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:54 am
Location: Bellingham, WA

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by RyanC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:41 am

kayvon wrote:So E-mu was named after a drug? E-mu-25. I wonder what that is?
I was curious about this as well when I read the interview. A google search led me to believe that it's likely lisinopril, an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor.

This was found at http://www.drugs.com/imprints/e25-10039.html

User avatar
bouzoukijoe1
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:01 am

great interview! thanks for sharing. I have a question, the part where he says
When I finally got my hands on an ARP multi-mode resonant filter, it didn't come anywhere near to the specs they had listed on the spec sheet. Sometimes believing that it's possible to do something can inspire you to exceed what really is possible.
did he mean that the ARP filter actually underperformed, or overperformed against the spec sheet?

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Lisbon

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:26 am

RyanC wrote:
kayvon wrote:So E-mu was named after a drug? E-mu-25. I wonder what that is?
I was curious about this as well when I read the interview. A google search led me to believe that it's likely lisinopril, an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor.

This was found at http://www.drugs.com/imprints/e25-10039.html
No, man. Their favourite drug was lysergic acid (LSD 25). :hippie:
Herrare umanum est.

User avatar
cornutt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:03 am
Gear: 6th
Location: Rocket City USA
Contact:

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by cornutt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:28 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
did he mean that the ARP filter actually underperformed, or overperformed against the spec sheet?
I'm sure he meant that it under-performed. That was the irony; he was beating his brains out trying to equal ARP's specs, when ARP's own product didn't meet its specs.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Lisbon

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:29 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:great interview! thanks for sharing. I have a question, the part where he says
When I finally got my hands on an ARP multi-mode resonant filter, it didn't come anywhere near to the specs they had listed on the spec sheet. Sometimes believing that it's possible to do something can inspire you to exceed what really is possible.
did he mean that the ARP filter actually underperformed, or overperformed against the spec sheet?
As I understood it, it underperformed.
Herrare umanum est.

User avatar
cornutt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:03 am
Gear: 6th
Location: Rocket City USA
Contact:

Re: Interview of E-Mu's Dave Rossum from 1981

Post by cornutt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:31 am

Sir Ruff wrote: Interesting to hear what his concept of a "digital" synth was; really no different than what things like the V-synth are 20 years later.
Yeah, I wonder how he felt when "digital synth" became synonymous with "sample playback" in the '90s. The irony, of course, being that Rossum himself was a major contributor to that happening -- I'm sure that's not what he meant to have happen, but nonetheless, it did.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Post Reply