WORST youtube synth demo?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: WORST youtube synth demo?

Post by bassdude » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:34 am

[/quote]

Oh ,, and no dissing Jexus. That video rules.[/quote]

Dudes: sarcasm.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 am

and

they are tied.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Gotta say, I expected a lot worse from this thread.

The Polivoks demo RULES.
That guy is a total spaz/genius. (BTW: if you've never heard a Polivoks first hand, that's really what they sound like)
Gonna have to sample him going nuts.

The Jexus Ion demo is maybe the funniest thing I've seen him do.
Total respect to Jexus, he's one of my YouTube heroes.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:47 pm

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:24 am

vinyl_junkie wrote:
I find it truly disappointing that there are near to zero demos
Of the neuron at all. And all of the ones that do exist do not really show the capabilities of the synth.

I'd love to acquire one in the future - but without a decent demo of one, I won't really know what I'm getting with the purchase (although I'll take the neuron for
It's word)

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:54 am

DLovas truly found two gems, and yes, they're tied.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:07 am

mharris80 wrote:
loungedumore wrote: This one's actually kinda cool.

Heard about this guy from Charlie Clouser, of all people. There's an epic NIN megathread on Gearslutz and Charlie showed up an answered tons of questions. Really cool dude. Anyway, he mentioned that he's been on the fence about Buchla, and this guy's videos were the only ones he liked. Called the rest of the one's he'd seen "insect music". :D
I used to absolutely love the "sounds like a banjo" Buchla comments over on Matrixsynth, but my oh my, this is possibly the first decent / enjoyable Buchla vid I've ever seen, thanks. Most of the time, those "demos" just feel like "overcompensating, overpaid sysadmin spent all Saturday making a patch" ....

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:09 am

That Neuron vid is a pristine example of:

Note that I don't mind sound scapes, but the original price tag of, what was it, $5000some totally doesn't match what that video demonstrates. Imagine a musician being in a music shop, and the salesman demonstrates his Neuron with sounds like in that video.. what would that Joe Average musician think? "Whoa, that's an expensive machine to create vomit sounds! Sir, I'll choose that second hand Yamaha MU80, do you have the original box too?"

I'm open to anything impressive from the Neuron, I really am. But, as mentioned above.. does anyone actually do something musical with it, in a traditional sense? Not to mention that for sound scapes there are plenty alternatives that make the most beautiful sound scapes yet cost a fraction of what a Neuron costs/costed. I've yet to see a demonstration that will impress me..
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:20 am

CS_TBL wrote:That Neuron vid is a pristine example of:

Note that I don't mind sound scapes, but the original price tag of, what was it, $5000some totally doesn't match what that video demonstrates. Imagine a musician being in a music shop, and the salesman demonstrates his Neuron with sounds like in that video.. what would that Joe Average musician think? "Whoa, that's an expensive machine to create vomit sounds! Sir, I'll choose that second hand Yamaha MU80, do you have the original box too?"

I'm open to anything impressive from the Neuron, I really am. But, as mentioned above.. does anyone actually do something musical with it, in a traditional sense? Not to mention that for sound scapes there are plenty alternatives that make the most beautiful sound scapes yet cost a fraction of what a Neuron costs/costed. I've yet to see a demonstration that will impress me..
Well spoken

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:31 am

vinyl_junkie wrote:[video of Hartmann Neuron sounds]
Seriously, that's exactly what editing/playing a Neuron is like. It all quickly goes into left-field territory. I used to have the Neuron VS plugin version and editing sounds was very much a counter-intuitive process. In that regard it was an astounding curiosity. Wished I hadn't sold it.

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:31 pm

I love youtube comments, sometimes more than the video theyre in. In regards to the Neuron:

"I think it sounds like someone sawing a duck."

"ye u are crappy with that"

"This keyboard costs $4,000? What a piece of c**p!"

"This sounds like somebody playing the synth after they poured juice on the keybed."

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 pm

bassdude wrote:I love youtube comments, sometimes more than the video theyre in. In regards to the Neuron:

"I think it sounds like someone sawing a duck."

"ye u are crappy with that"

"This keyboard costs $4,000? What a piece of c**p!"

"This sounds like somebody playing the synth after they poured juice on the keybed."
Lol u are too right. Then pretty much every YouTube video has someone saying something like
"Justin Bieber [Various Insults]"

Or in the EDM community
"David Guetta [Various Insults]"
Lol

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:46 pm

While on the subject of Neurons:

Is there anyone here who owns a Neuron, who could 'analyse' a regular single sustaining flute sample *, and then show what a Neuron can do to this model made out of a flute? Try to keep the result musical.. :)

* must have true human vibrato, and should come from a decent library, not a stupid GM flute that loops after 0.3 seconds
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:16 pm

CS_TBL wrote:While on the subject of Neurons:
Is there anyone here who owns a Neuron, who could 'analyse' a regular single sustaining flute sample *, and then show what a Neuron can do to this model made out of a flute? Try to keep the result musical.. :)
The Neuron idea is really based on cross-synthesizing any two models. You can pit a flute against a flute, or flute against drumloop, or flute against Bob Costas on NFL Sunday Night football. And the processes between the two input models are nearly endless. For those that are making their own models with modelmaker, there are choices to be made up-front on how the input sample is interpreted by the neuron.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:45 pm

garranimal wrote:
CS_TBL wrote:While on the subject of Neurons:
The Neuron idea is really based on cross-synthesizing any two models. You can pit a flute against a flute, or flute against drumloop, or flute against Bob Costas on NFL Sunday Night football. And the processes between the two input models are nearly endless. For those that are making their own models with modelmaker, there are choices to be made up-front on how the input sample is interpreted by the neuron.
Yes - finally people other than myself are in search of such an audio example / video demonstration

I would love to see an owner of a neuron put one of these together as well - I would be greatfull