WORST youtube synth demo?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: WORST youtube synth demo?

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:42 pm

garranimal wrote:The Neuron idea is really based on cross-synthesizing any two models. You can pit a flute against a flute, or flute against drumloop, or flute against Bob Costas on NFL Sunday Night football. And the processes between the two input models are nearly endless. For those that are making their own models with modelmaker, there are choices to be made up-front on how the input sample is interpreted by the neuron.
yeah, I quite know what the Neuron is and how neural nets work, I toyed with the idea of buying one when it was just fresh out, I even had a small email conversation with the developers back in the days. What I don't get is why it's so hard to hear people doing anything musical with it. So far - there're more vids on youtube than just that epic shipment of fail above - I've only heard videos that don't impress me because what they show is either a Neuron producing vomit, or a Neuron producing sounds that I can create as well with FM8.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:53 am

CS_TBL wrote:
garranimal wrote:The Neuron idea is really based on cross-synthesizing any two models. You can pit a flute against a flute, or flute against drumloop, or flute against Bob Costas on NFL Sunday Night football. And the processes between the two input models are nearly endless. For those that are making their own models with modelmaker, there are choices to be made up-front on how the input sample is interpreted by the neuron.
yeah, I quite know what the Neuron is and how neural nets work, I toyed with the idea of buying one when it was just fresh out, I even had a small email conversation with the developers back in the days. What I don't get is why it's so hard to hear people doing anything musical with it. So far - there're more vids on youtube than just that epic shipment of fail above - I've only heard videos that don't impress me because what they show is either a Neuron producing vomit, or a Neuron producing sounds that I can create as well with FM8.
Same story with the fizmo

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:36 pm

The comments on this video made me LOL:

[youtube][/youtube]
At last a musical instrument for deaf people! thanks!

Syx

Post by Syx » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Every Ensoniq TS-10 video on YouTube. I've no idea how to gauge the quality of that synth due to everybody displaying just how dated it sounds.

Or is it just severely overrated?

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 am

CS_TBL wrote:
I have to totally agree with this. I too, wanted to hear some more useful demos of this (apparently) interesting synth, but NOTHING out there shows anything other than just metallic, phasey noise. So I got a V-Synth instead - which can do metallic, phasey things, but is also highly musical and easy to use.

I still wish someone could prove that the Neuron was a musically viable device :(
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:43 am

calyx93 wrote:
CS_TBL wrote:
I have to totally agree with this. I too, wanted to hear some more useful demos of this (apparently) interesting synth, but NOTHING out there shows anything other than just metallic, phasey noise. So I got a V-Synth instead - which can do metallic, phasey things, but is also highly musical and easy to use.

I still wish someone could prove that the Neuron was a musically viable device :(
Although with the fizmo, there were a couple of vids that proved its musical worth - i still felt that I had to just get one and play with it myself - perhaps it was even the mystery of it - of not having heard any real sounds from it before - that led me to create several patches that i truly dont think i could live without as of now - i still have so much to program on it. I covet all the the neurons in existence, since it has such a good reputation, and i dig the looks - i am sad that there is not ONE good demo of it, however, I'm confident that anyone who acquires one, knows how to use a synth, and is willing to make nice sounds - will prevail. thats what i hope at least.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:56 pm

blah blah blah and still more blah...y'all can lick the sweat from this man's scrotum :lol:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:48 pm

shaft9000 wrote:blah blah blah and still more blah...y'all can lick the sweat from this man's scrotum :lol:
I dunno what ur talkin bout - that guy is talented.

Look how fast he can move his fingers! :lol: :clap:

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:28 am

erase's videos were one of the deciding factors in me getting an octatrack :)

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:14 am

The thing seems very capable - I'm considering buying it - although I personally will agree with shaft9000 on this particular video,

it may show the possibilities of the unit to some extent, however it has little to no musical value in my opinion.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Zombie time, I say!

So, ok, it's a keyboard rather than a synth.. but I wouldn't say it's a sound way to convince people.... ^_^

"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Noon Perhaps

Post by Noon Perhaps » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:54 am

Yeah, I mean in general from my experience of typing the name of the instrument you're interested in in Youtube generally clicking on the frist few video thumbnails will tend to lead to some 40 year old guy with hairy arms or a skinny, pale little kid jamming out and simply knob twiddling to some weird, acid house style pattern.

However, you can take what you want out of those videos and usually get an idea of what the instrument is all about after watching a few more related videos.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 am

Noon Perhaps wrote:clicking on the frist few video thumbnails will tend to lead to some 40 year old guy with hairy arms
My arms don't look that hairy in person, but DAMN they sure look hairy in my videos!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:07 am

Z wrote:
Noon Perhaps wrote:clicking on the frist few video thumbnails will tend to lead to some 40 year old guy with hairy arms
My arms don't look that hairy in person, but DAMN they sure look hairy in my videos!
Ya hairy Sasquatch. Wearing long sleeves is better but not forgetting about furry bear paws, too. I made a video sitting and realized after my first take I was wearing shorts - so yeah FURRY LEGS are much worse. :oops: So I draped a black synth stretchy-cover over 'em during that shoot and nobody is the wiser. Well, until now.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 am

I don't even own a long sleeve shirt. It's nice being able to wear shorts in January here in sunny north Texas!

Yeah, I'm rockin' the jeans shorts in one of my CP-80 videos.