Landed a CHEAP DX7....almost too cheap.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Landed a CHEAP DX7....almost too cheap.

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:52 pm

About to land a DX-7 with a voice cart for $10. You think that's a typo? Think again. TEN DOLLARS. In perfect working order, a bit dusty, some case scratches, but nothing worse than I've seen on most DX7s.

One thing I noticed straight away was that there was the key scaling graphic on the side like the DX7 mkII. Is there something I missed? Was this always on the DX7 and I didn't notice or is this one of those weird misprints or perhaps something that came with later revisions?

Shortly after I started my inspection I noticed that the usual background noise present in most DXs (especially with chorus) was simply not there. So, what's the verdict? Have I stumbled across some anomaly of the synth world? Is this a revision of the DX7 before the mkII?

I know it's a silly question, but it's driving me nuts! Will post some pics as soon as I get it back home.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

spacefolklore

Re: Landed a CHEAP DX7....almost too cheap.

Post by spacefolklore » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:40 pm

You're within the norm although barely so ($10!!! :D ). The brown DX7 has the graphics you describe and it shouldn't be noisy unless broken. Man, DX7 is a wonderful synth if you're a keyboard player.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:10 am

The scaling graphic was always on the DX7. I'm guessing you have a Mark 1.

My DX7 Mk1 was always a little bit noisy, both MKII's I had were slightly too. Maybe yours is just in better internal condition.

Enjoy your new machine.
soundcloud.com/vectron

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:20 am

Almost as cheap as the one my buddy found last summer.

It was getting tossed and was on the sidewalk for garbage pickup. It was 'broken'.. weird sounds and scrambled display... My friend literally poked the mainboard inside and its been perfect ever since...

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:12 am

Congratulations! I hope you won't have the battery troubles that I had with my DX7S. That was a real PITA. :?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Some people just have no idea what they're selling. Like the guy who found a fine working Jupiter-8 in a thrift store for $200..seller was like "oh that old junk? Just take the carry case too, we don't have room for it anyways"

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:49 pm

$10 Dollars is a steal the cart is worth triple that here in England, i bought last year a Dx7s with manual and cart working for £20 a steal been in storage ever since.
yamoto773

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:19 am

Wow, congrats on your score. Definitely beats my dad nabbing me for $50 one w/ cart at a recent auction ... apparently the place was full of guitar snobs, and wouldn't touch it w/ a 10 ft pole. Suckers. Now time to load 'er up w/ some Eno patches.

gs

Post by gs » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 pm

At this price point, the DX7 is practically being given to you for free. The $10 pretty much serves as a gratuity for having received said "gift".

Even if you don't like the FM sounds, it makes an excellent MIDI controller board for keyboardists. The keybed action is one of the best on any synth, and keybeds haven't really improved much since then. Plus the aftertouch..... not seen on too many controller boards these days.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 pm

A year on and this thing has caused me ZERO trouble. This isn't my first experience with FM (used to own a DX21 and FB01) but it's the most I've ever gotten into it. The sounds have always seemed interesting to me, but I never thought of owning a DX7 despite the suggestion that I should. So, $10 DX7 with a voice cart? Great investment!
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman