Monotribe impressions.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blackdiscoball

Monotribe impressions.

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 am

So I've had my monotribe for 2 days now and Im pretty happy with it so far. I loved and still love my monotron. Its really useful in stock form (i love filtering things with it) but once I modified it with the cv gate in its even better. So far Im really happy with the monotribe and Im thinking Ill have the midi in out mod done and then it will be even more useful then the monotron but (and Im not complaining just wondering) why they didn't do a couple things differently. The main thing is, I can't help but think this thing would be awesome with a sample and hold function. I would think with having a noise source it would have been pretty easy? I just imagine my moog liberations sample and hold function that could be triggered by the clock or lfo? I know they crammed a lot in this little box for such a cheap price but I just can't help but wonder.I really hope they make a bigger one, in more of the electribe style. Bigger, more control over the sounds, a handful of sequence storage places to link together in a song, control over the drums etc. Anyone else think this or am I alone?
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

TheKeytarist

Re: Monotribe impressions.

Post by TheKeytarist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:21 am

I think korg just needs to make full out analog mono synth again.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:10 am

I would certainly be for that as well. But a analog sequencer with drums, synth and sequencer all in one is certainly not something that exist as far as I know?
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:41 am

I only heard one briefly at adhmzaiusz' place, and didn't actually try it but it sounded great! It was kind of like having a stripped down tr-606, ms-10 and xoxbox all at once! I liked how the sequencer just loops exactly what you do on the ribbon, you can just mess around until you get a keeper.

If I wasn't so preoccupied with purchasing other things I would buy 2! It would also make a great gift for someone interested in analog synths or electronic music.

Very cool.

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:47 am

I like it and agree with both of you. Id love to see a new ms-20 (too) and an extensive modular monotribe to pair up with it.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:32 am

lots of fun tricks in a little box that's very affordable, but I didn't really like it and didn't feel it was worth getting. it's a very crude toy. just not for me. too many half a*s features. it's like a bad mfb. I'd rather put the $250 towards one or two eurorack modules or something.

I somehow don't think Korg will ever reach the point of redoing the MS-20. if they do, it will look like an mfb synth lite II at best. that's the only way they'll be able to make a profit.
blackdiscoball wrote:I would certainly be for that as well. But a analog sequencer with drums, synth and sequencer all in one is certainly not something that exist as far as I know?
not quite, but there's this

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:47 pm

I hadn't seen that MFB thing until today but thats pretty cool. I was thinking of something like a MC-202 with a simple drums like the monotribe. I really like how easy it is to program, if it had 16 real steps and then those half steps between that would be incredible. The monotribe does still fall into the toyish catagorie but thats fine. I like it that way. Its like my casio vl1, its a toy but can certainly be used in real music, it just needs to be used creativly.

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:18 pm

skizzle wrote:...and an extensive modular monotribe to pair up with it.
I would be shocked and delighted If korg got in to the modular market.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:23 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:analog sequencer with drums, synth and sequencer all in one is certainly not something that exist as far as I know?
No drums, but all the DSI boxes have step sequencers...Mopho, Evolver, Tetra, Prophet 08.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:41 am

thump -thump fizzz, thump thump-thump zzzzz thump,tszit-tszit-tszit-tszit....oh..wait... :oops:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:32 am

I know a lot of synths have sequencer's but I guess i really just like how simple it is to use. I have a 707 a yamaha rx, and have used some other drum machine's and while the drums on this aren't exactly what I would call "full sounding" I really just like how I can whip up a drum beat in 10 seconds and be done with it. If i could easily save them (maybe similar to how it saves a beat now but with a small screen to pick one of 99 sample slots) it would be extra cool. I get a lot of people see it as a toy (im not saying its not), but I just see potential and I hope korg does as well.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:58 am

I don't get what people expect from this thing. It's an analogue synth and drum machine with sequencer that's really easy and fun to play and it costs less than the cheapest oscillator in my modular. And you know what, it sounds really really good for that price.

I use mine with two cabinets of Eurorack modular when I do solo shows and people don't say 'hey that sounded amazing except for the one synth voice and the drums', they just say 'that sounded amazing'. It has sync in and outs so I can clock my modular sequencer with it. When I play in my other band I clock it from my MPC with a sampled sync pulse.

It's so easy to use that it doesn't need memories, you just program the beats in in real time.

The only real negative I can think of is the clicky envelopes but I've gotten rid of that problem by running it through an envelope following filter.

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 am

I certainly got everything I expect and more. I realize if korg added the things I really wanted it would push the price up another 2 or 3 hundred but I would gladly pay that for a full analog beat machine. While I was hoping the monotribe would end up in the $150 range I would be willing to pay closer to $300 if thats what they sold them for. I think $250 is really fair and you get every dimes worth out of them. This thread has mostly been me dreaming in print and wondering if anyone else felt the same way?

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:08 am

Wow, looks like there's a major update that can be done via playing a WAV file into the sync-in!

-16-Step Synth parts
-Synth Part Volume Automation
-Set individual Active Steps for each Part.
-Sample & Hold (S & H) added to the LFO
-Drum Roll capability
-Linked Sequences play multiple Monotribes in rotation
-Gate Time Hold function
-Shortcut keys

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Dance/monotribe/version2
http://www.korg.com/monotribe

8-)

EDIT: Just tried the update with help from the Japanese site's video and ZIP file. Was easy as pie and comes highly recommended! I loved the Tribe before, but it's like a completely different beast now. So much weird and complex live improv possibilities.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:38 am

Killer, gonna try it out on mine tomorrow.