Monotribe impressions.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Monotribe impressions.

Post by th0mas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:43 am

For those interested: here is the instructions for decoding the firmware file into a binary format.

http://gravitronic.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... mware.html

I have not looked at it in detail yet but that's next, obviously.

Not uploading the firmware file.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:03 am

Upgraded mine today, had some problems connecting it straight from my computer, but it worked from my ipod....So far I really like the drumrolls, and the sixteen step synth sequencer....

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:07 am

Welp! Think I have to get one of these now..

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:47 am

Meh... Ver. 1 sounds warmer, less digital.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Dano

Post by Dano » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:08 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Meh... Ver. 1 sounds warmer, less digital.
:laugh2:

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:10 am

ok, that v.2 software update is pretty impressive. I wasn't expecting that.

I also just saw this video combining the monotribe with a tenori-on to create a more complex rhythm. perhaps one of the best monotribe videos I've seen.

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:31 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:ok, that v.2 software update is pretty impressive. I wasn't expecting that.

I also just saw this video combining the monotribe with a tenori-on to create a more complex rhythm. perhaps one of the best monotribe videos I've seen.

Its because of the black and white isnt it? ;)
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:15 pm

hahah no the music truly sounds better than other Monotribe videos. I think it's because most of the time when people use the Monotribe, they always go to extremes with the filter and the pitch which makes it just sound all over the place and unmusical. either that or it sounds too simplistic and boring.

plus, this video shows you how you can get around the severe limitations of the Monotribe by using it in conjunction with another instrument in an interesting way. the other syncing videos are very uncreative imo. listen to the rhythm in this one and it's not even easy to tell where the loop begins and ends. very clever for a groove box that doesn't have multiple pattern chaining.

it's also impressive that you can't tell where the Monotribe ends and where the Tenori begins. it shows that the two instruments are working in a very integrated way.

this other one below is great too. I don't like the music as much as the video above, but his live staging/rhythmic progression is impressive. he knows just when to switch it up and shows the Monotribe is a usable live performance instrument without the need of a sophisticated sequencer.

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:36 pm

I did really like the Tenori video. I have to admit I wasn't real hot on the drum roll function at first but then I realized I could do triple feeling drum stuff with it and that super fast rap hihat so now Im alot more stoked. It also dawned on me today why they did the half time function. With the half time you could actually use this as a 16 step sequencer instead of a double time like 8 step. I've been working on an album only using battery powered instruments and noise makers (the monotribe being the center of it) and i have a couple songs that I've recorded the gate out and then played it in to the monotribes in so I can have multiple layers of monotribe in a song. I think Ill try adding something with that monotribe playing 16 beat half time and see how it works.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:51 pm

that sounds cool. do post a preview video for us! :)

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:30 am

So Im trying to upload a video now. Its not real hi rez as it was made on my cell phone but Ill post it here as soon as I get it uploaded. Its just a quick test of the monotribe playing at half speed along with a tempo track that was recorded out of the monotribe. It also shows a new gate to midi time converter I just finished so its all just noise going on to test that its all working.EDITED, I WAS WRONG ABOUT THIS
Last edited by blackdiscoball on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 am

Heres a quick demo. Not all that nice, videos arent really my thing. Ill try to take a video mid song sometime and hopefully that could show a more real world use of syncing the monotribe.

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:56 am

told my buddy about it last night, came over today and tried it out: it took my all not to go straight to guitar center and pick one up right after leaving. yay, korg!

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:49 am

man, one weird thing about the OS update's how it went from 8 to 16 steps via insert instead of stretch without halving the tempo. kinda surprised by that.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:44 am

space6oy wrote:man, one weird thing about the OS update's how it went from 8 to 16 steps via insert instead of stretch without halving the tempo. kinda surprised by that.
Why surprised? It's just the same as the drums now.