Monotribe impressions.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Re: Monotribe impressions.

Post by edfunction » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23 pm

monotribe owners:

with the version 2 update you can change the synth volume. do you know if this allows you to run external audio through the filter with the oscillator volume off?
if so i'll be getting one asap!!!
thanks!

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:13 pm

And I JUST bought mine and now they go and do this. Looks like Im going to have to start saving my pennies up now.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:07 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:And I JUST bought mine and now they go and do this. Looks like Im going to have to start saving my pennies up now.
Why ? It's a free download. Unzip the file and play the .wav into the sync-in on the monotribe. No money needs to be spent.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Psy_Free wrote:play the .wav into the sync-in on the monotribe
Haha KORG truly went old-school with this thing :lol:
Monkey business since 2007!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:08 pm

I''m impressed as h**l, actually. I don't think any of us knew the box could take upgrades this way. I'll be loading it up tonight! Excited to get the extra 8 steps for the sequencer AND to get sample & hold.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:47 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:I''m impressed as h**l, actually. I don't think any of us knew the box could take upgrades this way. I'll be loading it up tonight! Excited to get the extra 8 steps for the sequencer AND to get sample & hold.
Yeah, this is fantastic... not only is it ridiculously old skool (and therefore cool), it is truly commendable (I think) for Korg to actually roll out quite a sweet of new features that most of us probably weren't even thinking about. Kind of like reverse feature-creep? :)

EDIT: 10 points to the first person to offer a Ver. 2 upgrade service on ebay! :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:46 pm

simply a downloadable system update.

http://www.korg.com/monotribe

System Version 2

Announcing a major update for the monotribe!
Version 2 provides many new features to take your playing to a new dimension!

Announcing a major update to the monotribe analog ribbon station --- the full-fledged analog synth and rhythm unit with a step sequencer inherited from the Electribe! The monotribe Version 2 adds a plethora of new features, allowing you to create sequences that are even more elaborate, or to layer complex musical developments for extended performances.

Surely one of the most exciting additions is a new synchronized performance mode that allows for new type of performance using multiple monotribe units. Whether you've never touched a monotribe or whether you're an expert who is thoroughly familiar with all of the current features, this new update guarantees that your analog groove-making will be more intense than ever before!

Highlights
Sequencer:
Synth part resolution has been doubled to 16 Steps
Volume Automation has been added to the synth part.
Active Step can be specified for each part.
Drum Roll capability has been added.
Gate Time Hold function has been added.
Synthesizer:
Sample and Hold (S&H) function added to LFO.
Sync:
Connected sequences allow multiple monotribe units to play in rotation.
Half Tempo function has been added.
Short Cut Keys:
Four convenient shortcuts for creating patterns quickly
16-Step Synth parts
As with drum parts, the synth part now provides timing information in between the steps in a sequence, allowing a pattern to achieve a total of 16 steps.

Synth Part Volume Automation
Volume Automation allows the synth volume to be recorded during playback to create more detailed sequences. The left side of the ribbon controller keyboard decreases the volume, and the right side increases it. This Volume Automation can even be controlled when if Flux mode is on.

Set individual Active Steps for each Part.
The Active Step function lets you specify which steps are played or jumped when playing back the step sequencer. Now, the Active Step can be set individually for each of the SYNTH, BD, SD, and HH parts. By specifying a different number of steps for each part, you can create complex polyrhythms.

Sample & Hold (S & H) added to the LFO
The newly added S&H function is indispensible for creating mysterious analog synth sound effects. The RATE knob adjusts the frequency of change, and the INT. knob adjusts the depth of change.
"What is Sample & Hold?"
Unlike traditional LFO waveshapes that provide a constantly changing signal, the Sample & Hold feature takes a "sample" of the LFO signal and holds that level for a specific duration of time. The results are the highly popular and slightly random stepped-filter effects so famously used in analog synthesizers. By using noise as the input signal, the monotribe version 2 lets you create effects that change in a distinctively random manner.

Drum Roll capability
A roll can now be added to the desired drum part. The speed of the roll can be controlled using the ribbon controller keyboard; moving toward the right will increase the number of strikes. You can also record the drum roll using the sequencer to intuitively create subtle and dynamic drum patterns.

Linked Sequences play multiple monotribes in rotation
The Link Sequence feature is a completely new sync method that vastly expands the scope of the monotribe, to deliver even more fun. When sequence playback reaches step 8, the sequence will automatically stop and the next monotribe unit will start playing. By loop-connecting the SYNC jacks, the playback can keep cycling through multiple units – in true modular fashion!

New Additions
The Gate Time Hold function lets you use the ribbon controller keyboard to play and record new pitch information while retaining the gate times recorded in the sequencer. Also new is the Half Tempo function, which cuts the tempo in half when synchronizing to an external input from the SYNC IN jack. In addition, there are now four shortcut keys that instantly initialize various types of sequence data or active step settings.

Updating Procedure
Thinking of monotribe as an analog synthesizer, the procedure of for updating the Operating System is also a very old-school, analog-style method, reminiscent of loading data via the playback of analog cassette tape. Simply download the system data which Korg has encoded as an audio (WAV) file from http://www.korg.com or from the website of your local Korg distributor. Then, play back the file using a WAV file player like a Smartphone or using PC application software, directly in to the monotribe's SYNC IN jack. When the audio (WAV) file finished playing, your monotribe has been updated. It’s a traditional procedure revived for a new generation!

edit: here's the download:
PC/MAC:Operating System:Monotribe_V2_Update.zip

System Version 2.0
This "zipped" download contains the most current Version Operating System update for the monotribe. OS Version 2.0 adds a new 16 step synth sequencer, part independent active step, drum roll, sample and hold, plus other useful shortcuts for improved real-time sequence editing.

A full description of the update is included in this download, along with instructions on how to install the OS.

We recommend the use of the most current software to all users.
Last edited by space6oy on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:55 pm

omg omg omg
‹‡›

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Korg Monotribe Version 2

Post by space6oy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:02 pm

th0mas wrote:thread already talking about it here?

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 3&start=15
these threads do have different topics.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:17 pm

I was watching sonicstate lab's demo on youtube. At 9:30 he was explaining in order to get external sounds through the filter, the internal synth voice had to be playing. This would be the reason I haven't picked one up already. Would have been more flexible to have it switchable to behave one way or the other when need arises. Don't know if this feature is hard-wired or a software update could resolve that. Or if a good workaround is to have the sequencer continuously triggering full notes?

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:55 pm

This is so cool! Im going to have to get on that as of NOW.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:34 pm

So just did the new update and its really awesome. At first I thought I would have to buy a new monotribe but I love how the made this upgradeable and am really impressed by how easy this thing has been to use. The upgrade added some really cool stuff that I was asking for in the beginning of this thread so I think its neat that while I am sure they didn't read this post, most likely have been listening to what people have been saying online about this. First thing is I LOVE the sample and hold function that got added. I abuse sample and hold on synths real bad so Im glad I have it on this synth now. I've only messed with the 16 step function on the synth a little but while I think its a great idea, it would be better if it had 16 step lights. I understand that this couldn't happen with a simple software upgrade but Ill mess around with it more and see what I think? I also like that you can record volume change's as well. They made this synth go from awesome to really awesome. I can't wait to see what they'll add if they have a third upgrade, they are running out of Buttons.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:41 pm

garranimal wrote:I was watching sonicstate lab's demo on youtube. At 9:30 he was explaining in order to get external sounds through the filter, the internal synth voice had to be playing. This would be the reason I haven't picked one up already. Would have been more flexible to have it switchable to behave one way or the other when need arises. Don't know if this feature is hard-wired or a software update could resolve that. Or if a good workaround is to have the sequencer continuously triggering full notes?
Not a 100% sure , but I think the voice is hardwired to the env gate .
Last edited by loungedumore on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:48 pm

It has to do with the step output I think. I programmed a part on the synth, then programmed the volume to be off on every note and the audio input also was silenced in doing so.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:06 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:It has to do with the step output I think. I programmed a part on the synth, then programmed the volume to be off on every note and the audio input also was silenced in doing so.
Also the envelope pops, so I would be afraid it would add clicks to the audio that way.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS