Monotribe impressions.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Monotribe impressions.

Post by space6oy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
space6oy wrote:man, one weird thing about the OS update's how it went from 8 to 16 steps via insert instead of stretch without halving the tempo. kinda surprised by that.
Why surprised? It's just the same as the drums now.
because i reprogrammed a drum beat to be the same but twice in length, have to halve the tempo for it to not be doubled in speed. would've made sense for that to be included automatically in the new OS.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 pm

I was taking a look at my TR-626 to possibly use to sync up, did a google and this popped up:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/korg-syn ... 17344?mt=8

Anyone used it?

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:48 am

jaypodesta wrote:I was taking a look at my TR-626 to possibly use to sync up, did a google and this popped up:

Anyone used it?
Works great and adds swing . but it's free so why ask me ;)
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:06 am

space6oy wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
space6oy wrote:man, one weird thing about the OS update's how it went from 8 to 16 steps via insert instead of stretch without halving the tempo. kinda surprised by that.
Why surprised? It's just the same as the drums now.
because i reprogrammed a drum beat to be the same but twice in length, have to halve the tempo for it to not be doubled in speed. would've made sense for that to be included automatically in the new OS.
:? That doesn't make sense, the drums haven't changed at all so if you program them double time then of course they'll play back twice as fast.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:55 pm

loungedumore wrote:
jaypodesta wrote:I was taking a look at my TR-626 to possibly use to sync up, did a google and this popped up:

Anyone used it?
Works great and adds swing . but it's free so why ask me ;)
Well its good to hear it works, even if it is free!

Have you used it via/with wireless midi? Doesn't matter if not just interested.

Had a look at one of these in a store earlier today and was impressed with how the build quality was. Felt nice and solid.

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 am

Here is another video showing some of the new features of the monotribe and how to use the half time function to get a 16 step sequencer instead of a 8 step double time sequencer. Its a cell phone video so the sound and video quality is not great but it gets the job done.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Also, for those without an iphone (that would be me), if you have a ds and the korg ds-10 program, you can control the tempo and add swing by using the ds-10's tempo/swing function. Basically I take one of the drum tracks and i create a sound that is just a simple triangle wave with the fastest attack I can, a really short decay, and the release and sustain all the way off. Basically a super short tri wave. If you are just using the DS-10 for tempo just set that up to play quarter notes, 8th notes, or 16th notes, what ever is appropriate to get your tempo or feel, adjust the swing as you would like. Then run a mono cable out of the DS-10, into the sync in of the monotribe. If you want to have both the DS-10 and the monotribe play together, pan all your sounds on the DS-10 to one side, and the tri wave to the other, then get a splitter, and send the tri side to the monotribe sync in, and the other to a amp or mixer.
Moog Prodigy, Moog Liberation, Wurlitzer 112, Roland 707, Roland Juno106 Casio CZ3000,

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 pm

enjoyed this:

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:57 pm

another good one - sick beat and filter + noise sweeps
I might have to get me one of these after all

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 am

Ive seen a few people mentioning they're upset since they can't use the filter and turn the oscillator off.. I've been doing this trick for a few weeks now, but someone just posted a video to help people out in doing just that. You lose use of the LFO's (meh), but you can at least use the filter. Makes too much sense once you see it.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:34 am

Psy_Free wrote:
blackdiscoball wrote:And I JUST bought mine and now they go and do this. Looks like Im going to have to start saving my pennies up now.
Why ? It's a free download. Unzip the file and play the .wav into the sync-in on the monotribe. No money needs to be spent.
Yeah, dude. This. How 1980's is this?! TAPE SYNC! (kinda)
bonne chance

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Monotribe version 2 at korg.com

edit: whoa... its a downloaded update? Crazy... Now I may get a monotribe... thats cool... I never would of thought they could add features like that with a software update...

edit again... oh... you're already talking about it... :roll:

blackdiscoball

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:56 am

That video on how to filter without the osc is awesome. I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing.