What is with all the Russian synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

What is with all the Russian synths

Post by gearfixer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:05 am

How meanly of these odd ball synths were made, when and buy who. Give me all I need to know about cold war synths.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Re: What is with all the Russian synths

Post by vicd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 am

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:05 pm

I got a chance to look inside a Soviet stringer last year. As expected, everything inside and out is labeled in Russian and all the components are Soviet made, too. This makes it extremely difficult for non-Russian-speaking westerners to operate, maintain, troubleshoot, acquire schematics and parts.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Hm, that ruskey website is quite fun.. it's just hard to remember what you just clicked when you want to click the next one.. :P

If anyone speaks Russian and is willing to translate, could these be added to VSE? ^_^
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:20 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Hm, that ruskey website is quite fun.. it's just hard to remember what you just clicked when you want to click the next one.. :P

If anyone speaks Russian and is willing to translate, could these be added to VSE? ^_^
I could easily do that. :)

Be happy to do it as well.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

gearfixer
Gear: ARP Pro DGX, Avatar, EX 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Post by gearfixer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:22 pm

vicd wrote:This way
Thanks

garranimal wrote:I got a chance to look inside a Soviet stringer last year. As expected, everything inside and out is labeled in Russian and all the components are Soviet made, too. This makes it extremely difficult for non-Russian-speaking westerners to operate, maintain, troubleshoot, acquire schematics and parts.
I worked on knitting machines at one time and all the manuals were in German. It was a challenge as I could only read the schematics plus it was hard getting my head around the unorthodox designs they used.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:33 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Hm, that ruskey website is quite fun.. it's just hard to remember what you just clicked when you want to click the next one.. :P

I thought there was an English version on that web site...
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Hold the press: I just heard there's an English version of that website! ^^
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

philip

Post by philip » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:47 pm

silikon wrote:

И насколько хорошо?

gearfixer

Post by gearfixer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:47 pm

This thing looks bad a*s!

philip

Post by philip » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 am

gearfixer wrote:This thing looks bad a*s!

Good choice,this is actually is the best you could choose from USSR synth production. I have one and it's amazing.
As for everything else I strongly would not recommend you any of soviet synth,honestly. All they are just a pathetic attempts to copy some foreign products. But Aelita is really one unique.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:17 am

philip wrote:

Good choice,this is actually is the best you could choose from USSR synth production. I have one and it's amazing.
As for everything else I strongly would not recommend you any of soviet synth,honestly. All they are just a pathetic attempts to copy some foreign products. But Aelita is really one unique.
Interesting. So you wouldn't recommend the Polivoks, either? I've never played one, but from the demos I've heard of them, they sound pretty sick and unique.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by silikon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:25 am

philip wrote:
silikon wrote:

И насколько хорошо?
Good enough to get the job done.

приличный. вся моя семья русский и немецкий.I

Edit: and I really lust after the polivoks.
Edit edit: (pizza! pizza!) and the Aelita as well.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

philip

Post by philip » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:30 am

mharris80 wrote:
philip wrote:

Interesting. So you wouldn't recommend the Polivoks, either? I've never played one, but from the demos I've heard of them, they sound pretty sick and unique.
actually they have a bad reputation for it's instability, really a pain in the a*s,most of the time this thing is out of control. and to me polivoks sounds too agressive and unusable, I prefer Aellita for it's lyricism. It was produced by a group of genius soviet engeneers on a secret plant))I'm not kidding

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by silikon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:41 am

Synths made on a secret site? That's outstanding. Makes me want one even more. "Dude! This. (insert riff here). Built in a secret Russian lab."
How dope is that? Might not make for more interesting sound, but sure ratchets up the intrigue levels. :)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome