synthesizers that made impact in electronic music production

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
lewismta

synthesizers that made impact in electronic music production

Post by lewismta » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:46 pm

synthesizers that have made an impact in the area of electronic music production,

your views and why?

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Re: synthesizers that made impact in electronic music produc

Post by mharris80 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:25 am

Juno 6-60-106/Korg Polysix (something about the number 6 was magical back then :lol:): Some of the first "affordable" polysynths. Before, you had to spend the late '70s-early '80s equivalent of over 10 grand for polyphony. Thus, lots more people were getting their hands on sounds that up until that point had been completely out of reach for them.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:51 am

There's not one answer to that. Several synths were important, but all for different reasons.

To name a few:

Moog: synth technology for musicians instead of laboratories

FM synthesis: vast array of new sound shaping options compared to analogue, also a major factor in home/hobby computers (game music, trackers for hobbyists etc.) which made FM 'familiar' with the current generation of young adults (30..40)

General MIDI/Sound Canvas: start of a whole slew o' repetitive shyte (not a positive milestone, but at least significant in history)

VST technology: enter the software paradigm. One could debate whether RB338 was the first softsynth aimed at (semi-)professional usage, but I don't feel it's as significant as VST technology in general. One RB338 won't wove mountains, but a technology platform will.

Furthermore, what's the first significant sampler? A Mellotron? A Synclavier? A Fairlight? An E-Mu? And why would it be significant? Price? Features? Memory?

And does Gigasampler deserve a spot? In one strike it ended most of the memory limits that samplers had. In one strike a whole virtual orchestra is within reach, while before you'd need a room full o' meaty samplers to do more or less the same. Imagine there'd still be no HD-streaming today and everything had to be fully loaded into RAM.. even 16GB (my PC's RAM) wouldn't be enough for an average VSL mock-up.

A few smaller worthy mentions:

JV1080: boosting polyphony expectations up

Novation: multiple effects per part

Things that could have been significant but aren't imho:

Physical modelling (for instance as used in Yamaha's VL range), articulates well but just doesn't sound good enough compared to samples.

Neural Net synthesis (Neuron), has never convinced me in any way, and so far no one has been able to convince me in any way.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:18 am

Minimoog: Artists decades over have used a mini to compose works from ambient, pop, rock, hip hop, electronica of various genre.

Roland Juno 1: defined a genre of music with a single patch. (What the?)

Yamaha dx-7: see also "the 80's"

Roland TB-303: acid, mate.

Moog modular: arguably where it all began.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:40 am

Minimoog was the first commercially successful keyboard synthesizer
Prophet 5 was the first fully programmable polysynth
DX-7 killed analog synthesis
Jp-6/Prophet 600 first keyboards connected via midi
Korg M1 imo represents the shift to workstations
NordLead imo represents the shift back to analog architecture and knob per function (shouts out to the jd-800)
Doepfer for popularizing (somewhat) modular synthesis

Arguably the largest impact is the rise of software synths and programs like reason and ableton.

The Ipod/Ipad deserves a mention

Esus

Post by Esus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:47 am

Buchla?? Hello???

Whippersnappers... :roll:

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:23 am

Fairlight CMI: It was the first workstation (AFAIK). The Fairlight had become such an iconic symbol of vanguard electronic music production by the mid-80's that Phil Collins was compelled to add that "no Fairlight was used" in the liner notes of No Jacket Required. What a rebel!

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 am

Was the fairlight really a synthesizer though? Of course samplers had a massive impact but that needs a dedicated thread imo.

Buchla deserves a mention of course! First analog sequencer... It inspired Serge, Wiard, and Make Noise and it promotes it's own style of music production. In ways similar to music concrete but still its own style of production.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:53 am

Dano wrote:Fairlight CMI: It was the first workstation (AFAIK). The Fairlight had become such an iconic symbol of vanguard electronic music production by the mid-80's that Phil Collins was compelled to add that "no Fairlight was used" in the liner notes of No Jacket Required. What a rebel!
:lol:

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:28 am

OntarioHydro wrote:Was the fairlight really a synthesizer though? Of course samplers had a massive impact but that needs a dedicated thread imo.
I think it had a page for additive synthesis but, admittedly, that's not what it's generally known for.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 am

I would think that this question should be about the names of the people who developed the synths and what significant impact that they had on music.

For example:

Robert Moog- obvious and already mentioned reasons
Dave Smith- Midi pioneer
Leon Theremin- its in the name

etc etc etc

I mean this question from my point of view is a bit open ended, and leaves tons of room for interpretation, because even the EMU SP 1200 is a synth(technically) and it had a profound impact on music as well(insert every majorly expensive sought after vintage piece for the same reason) and you have this website. :mrgreen:

Also, why do you ask?

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Tadao Kikumoto, designed the 303 & 909
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:21 pm

More mentions of the 303 than the bloody moog modular? most shameful.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Yahama CS-80, 'cause without it, we don't have the best science-fiction soundtrack ever.

Roland D-50, as it married samples with synthesis, at an affordable price. Everywhere in the late 80's.

Juno 106 and SH-101, all over techno, house, ambient, etc.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm going to start with the Theremin. Invented in 1919, it was the first popular electronic instrument and an inspiration to people like Bob Moog.

Also, the Hammond Novachord. Invented and produced between 1938 - 1942. This is a synthesizer in my book.

http://discretesynthesizers.com/nova/intro.htm

used mainly for soundtracks...

Then, obviously are synths like the RCA one built in the 50s and I need to give a shout out to the BBC radiophonic workshop which created that brilliant Doctor Who theme.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18