Vintage synth prices

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by CfNorENa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Mind adding Pro~One, BitOne, & MS 20?
You probably know about the "shrine" to the Pro-One, which tracks all ebay sales:

http://www.pro-one-synth.org/ebay.php

Current US average just over $1000. It's been inching up over the months (no surprise there)...

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:02 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Mind adding Pro~One, BitOne, & MS 20?
Not at all!

orlando56
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage

Post by orlando56 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 am

In my humble opinion, synths are worth the price one is willing to pay for them. For those of us not in major markets, or who haven't gotten lucky buying from a little old lady who doesn't know what she has, or gotten a "free-ninety-nine" from someone throwing one out in the rubbish, eBay is pretty much the only option. Dedicated music shops seem to charge even higher prices (albeit with the promise that a synth has been reconditioned).

It would indeed be nice if VSE did a comprehensive reevaluation of synth prices, perhaps partly based on the voluminous data that posters here have accumulated!

Zardoz
Gear: Zardoz is pleased.
Band: Pecora Pecora

Post by Zardoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Z wrote:
Zardoz wrote:Not directly related to the original question of this thread but,
where can I find the original sale price of old synths?

I remember seing such a list some years ago in a book.
I thought VSE had them listed. Maybe not. I know a lot of prices of mid/late 80's Roland gear and I also have copies from an early 90's Orion Blue Book which has original MSRP's.

Anything in particular you're looking for?
No I'm not looking for any in particular, and it seems to me that the VSE listings are about the current ( outdated ) market value of the synths, not their original price.
This book that had such a list: http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Synthesiz ... 0879306033
I was wondering if any of that was online somewhere... I guess for no reason really apart for my general curiosity.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm

orlando56 wrote:In my humble opinion, synths are worth the price one is willing to pay for them. For.
Exactly. That's not just your humble opinion. It is the very definition of "worth". It's worth what people will pay for it. Now, throw in the word "reasonable" and that can muddy the waters quite a bit since it takes us back into the realm of opinion.
orlando56 wrote: Dedicated music shops seem to charge even higher prices (albeit with the promise that a synth has been reconditioned).
That's been my experience. Ebay may have high prices but the moment some clown in a music or pawn shop gets his hands on one, he jacks the price up even more.

The advantage of local shops, though, is that they expect you to haggle with them. The price you see is the highest you will potentially have to pay. With Ebay, you don't have that info. The highest price depends on whether some guy in Philly drinks a little too much wine and decides he really wants that MS-20....

Mr Knesh

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:40 pm

Cumulus wrote:The highest price depends on whether some guy in Philly drinks a little too much wine and decides he really wants that MS-20....
I would have won it too, but some damned {insert offensive noun} outbid me in the last 30 seconds!

That wine was really good, really fruity with an aftertaste of feta.
Last edited by Mr Knesh on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:29 pm

Mr Knesh wrote:
Cumulus wrote:The highest price depends on whether some guy in Philly drinks a little too much wine and decides he really wants that MS-20....
I would have won it too, but some damned Puerto Rican outbid me in the last 30 seconds!

Glad your so-called "damned Puerto Rican" beat your honky a*s out of a sale. :clap: Your statement really reinforces the white supremacist stereotype of Oregon yokels.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:41 pm

calyx93 wrote:
Mr Knesh wrote:
I would have won it too, but some damned Puerto Rican outbid me in the last 30 seconds!

Glad your so-called "damned Puerto Rican" beat your honky a*s out of a sale. :clap: Your statement really reinforces the white supremacist stereotype of Oregon yokels.
I don't know, you might've over reacted on that one. I mean, if he said 'Canadian' would that have been better? The only 'crime' was that the high bidder was identified as someone from Peurto Rico.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:07 pm

I don't know, you might've over reacted on that one. I mean, if he said 'Canadian' would that have been better? The only 'crime' was that the high bidder was identified as someone from Peurto Rico.
So let me get this right. If you happened to be Mexican, Puerto Rican, Japanese, Chinese, (or any person of any origin, race or social group) and someone referred to that in a disparaging remark - you wouldn't take offense to it? I simply don't buy that.

What made his remark especially biting was that it was casually implied that the auction winner wasn't worthy of winning due to their place of origin and/or race. It was insensitive and inappropriate, plain and simple. It also doesn't help that HIS place of origin happens to be one of America's hotbeds of white power groups. And yes, I do understand that I used that fact in a similar manner to his original remark to make that point.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:17 pm

calyx93 wrote:
So let me get this right. If you happened to be Mexican, Puerto Rican, Japanese, Chinese, (or any person of any origin, race or social group) and someone referred to that in a disparaging remark - you wouldn't take offense to it? I simply don't buy that.

What made his remark especially biting was that it was casually implied that the auction winner wasn't worthy of winning due to their place of origin and/or race. It was insensitive and inappropriate, plain and simple. It also doesn't help that HIS place of origin happens to be one of America's hotbeds of white power groups. And yes, I do understand that I used that fact in a similar manner to his original remark to make that point.
Buy it not, I honestly think (without knowing Mr Knesh) that he was disparaging losing the auction and the reference to origin was made as statement to the reach of world wide auctions. At least that's what I hope, but honestly, it's really up to Mr Knesh at this point, if he wishes to address this tangent,
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:24 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:
skizzle wrote:This site could be the answer as soon as some revisions are done(raises hand).
no thanks, this site is the reason I got my JP8 for $1500 :mrgreen:
:lol:
then you deserved it
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Zardoz wrote:Not directly related to the original question of this thread but,
where can I find the original sale price of old synths?

I remember seing such a list some years ago in a book.
Those are always interesting to me, as well. I like using an inflation calculator to determine what those really cost in today's dollars. For example, back in 1981 the OB-XA cost the modern equivalent of around $14,000. :shock: From what I remember, the JP8 wasn't far from this, either.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't know if he's actually Puerto Rican -not that it matters. I do think he's got too many synths for that loft and he should probably send some of them to me for safe-keeping.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:52 pm

mharris80 wrote:I like using an inflation calculator to determine what those really cost in today's dollars.
It's no longer fun though when you also count in the original selling price of vintage sample playback systems and compare them to the modern day equivalent.

Then the truth is revealed: An ever increasing number of people, who have downloaded perfectly adequate noise makers for free, become bored or dissatisfied, and they're confused why the prices of outdated technology in scarce supply, designed in a time when home computers were almost as scarce and the home studio was neither practical nor feasible for most, continue to go up.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Mr Knesh

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Simply tracking the selling prices of pieces of vintage equipment can be misleading as well, since a huge amount of their value comes with the condition they are in. So looking at the prices and you see a piece of gear sold for $2000 when it usually sells for $800, it makes it difficult to determine and average.

As far as the racist comments go, I think you are terribly misinformed about the demographics of Oregon.

The statement I had made was meant to be silly and inflammatory. I see that it has made a few of you enflamed, my trolling here is finished.

I once made the acquaintance of a first generation Mexican man who invited me to a gigantic block party he was throwing. He told me to invite all of my friends, unless they were Guatemalan. Apparently there is a large amount if resentment amongst Mexicans towards Guatemalans. I had no idea.