Vintage synth prices

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
orlando56
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:03 am
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage
Location: North Cackalacky

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by orlando56 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:28 am

Can we please keep race out of this? Please? We are all synth lovers here. If we want to slam Puerto Rico or Oregon, we can do it on a different forum.

I think the question of dollar (or whatever currency) amounts for a synth when it was first sold vis-à-vis what those dollars are worth now is a far more interesting question when talking about vintage gear.

There is also the question of opportunity cost. You might refuse to pay, say, $200 more for a synth because it doesn't seem to be worth it, but in making that decision you might be denying yourself the lost creativity that you would have had if you had just taken the deal, gotten the synth, and explored its possibilities in your music.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

wildpaws
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 am
Real name: Clyde
Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by wildpaws » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:33 am

Looks like nobody in this thread uses Prepal http://www.prepal.com/manufacturers.htm . I don't think their prices are very accurate, but they do give you some idea of pricing.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by Cumulus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:43 am

wildpaws wrote:Looks like nobody in this thread uses Prepal http://www.prepal.com/manufacturers.htm . I don't think their prices are very accurate, but they do give you some idea of pricing.
Clyde
That's a great site. It's going into my favorites folder.

User avatar
Mr Knesh
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:06 am
Real name: Roland
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.
Location: Oregon

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by Mr Knesh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:59 am

orlando56 wrote: There is also the question of opportunity cost. You might refuse to pay, say, $200 more for a synth because it doesn't seem to be worth it, but in making that decision you might be denying yourself the lost creativity that you would have had if you had just taken the deal, gotten the synth, and explored its possibilities in your music.

I totally disagree. I believe that you can make music with whatever instrument you are given, and that creativity is not a spring that wells up with every new piece of equipment you purchase. New equipment is exciting but this does not necessarily translate to a flurry of inspiration.

adhmzaiusz
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:27 am

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by adhmzaiusz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:02 am

Cumulus wrote:
wildpaws wrote:Looks like nobody in this thread uses Prepal http://www.prepal.com/manufacturers.htm . I don't think their prices are very accurate, but they do give you some idea of pricing.
Clyde
That's a great site. It's going into my favorites folder.
This site hasn't seemed like it has changed since the last time I checked it 5 years ago. It was way off even back then. I sure like the look of those prices though
‹‡›

User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by Cumulus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:16 am

adhmzaiusz wrote:
Cumulus wrote:
wildpaws wrote:Looks like nobody in this thread uses Prepal http://www.prepal.com/manufacturers.htm . I don't think their prices are very accurate, but they do give you some idea of pricing.
Clyde
That's a great site. It's going into my favorites folder.
This site hasn't seemed like it has changed since the last time I checked it 5 years ago. It was way off even back then. I sure like the look of those prices though
I noticed the MiniMoog price seemed low. Also, several of the Korg products did not have the original prices listed.

User avatar
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:57 pm
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.
Location: UK

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by bochelli » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 pm

The price guides on VSE are way way out, it would be better to just stick to the synths description, the internet has played a factor on synth prices, news travels much faster now and not forgetting ebay of course,if you are bidding on a synth on ebay and you have been outbidded and you want it you are going to re take the lead in the auction and most likely win anyway pushing synths to a new end price,but there drawbacks, korg, roland, yamaha , nice synths they are but were made in great number the common ones that is, ms,sh,cs plenty around you have more chance to get a good deal, an oberheim obx not as easy.In time they will go crazy expect £5,000 for a Arp Odyssey.
yamoto773

User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by Cumulus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:31 pm

That's the problem with Ebay.

Human nature being what it is, the guy who owns a little pawn shop will look at 3 completed listings for a Synth and if the prices were $1,200.00, $1,100.00 and 1,450.00 he will go with the $1,450.00, even if his synth is not pristine like the $1,450.00 one was.

In fact, he will probably mark it up to $1,600.00 ot make room for haggling.

He has no idea what condition the 3 synths that recenlty sold were in because he's too lazy to look at the item descriptions. Also, he has no idea that the guy who paid $1,450.00 was just a little drunk on Pinot Noir. :)

(Sorry SSS. I'm not picking on you. Just using you as an example of a real-world situation that could affect prices.)

Ultimately, I think the real driver behind the price increases is not Ebay. It's simple supply and demand. All Ebay does is make it easier fo the suppliers to hook up with the demanders.

orlando56
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:03 am
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage
Location: North Cackalacky

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by orlando56 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:20 am

@Mr Knesh

Fair enough, but then why buy any new piece of gear at all?

The point I was trying to make was that after the deal is made, you will not spend your time thinking about whether you spent too much. You will just make music. Worrying about getting the best deal possible can only be a losing proposition.

User avatar
visceralvoids
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 6:10 am
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by visceralvoids » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 am

orlando56 wrote:Worrying about getting the best deal possible can only be a losing proposition.
Exactly - handle all of that stuff before you lay the cash down.
The only time where worrying about the best deal possible makes sense, is when you are trying to find a seller of a synth you want. Otherwise you will just get buyer's remorse.

Being patient, and looking for your desired synth over a period of time usually will help you find the best price on it. Criaglist, eBay etc., just try to find someone who is selling it cheaper than everyone else in good condition (who is more likely to need the cash more if they are doing cheaper than everyone else.) I found that buying locally helps for this but it is tough to find some gear when you only buy locally though.

Also I like the completed listings on eBay as a quick price guide (but not when you include the shipping cost most of the time.) As mentioned before there are some eBay sellers who just make you go "WTF", I mean there's even a whole sticky thread here about the daily lunacy on eBay.

User avatar
Mr Knesh
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:06 am
Real name: Roland
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.
Location: Oregon

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 am

orlando56 wrote:@Mr Knesh

Fair enough, but then why buy any new piece of gear at all?
I understand your point. But I still disagree. I made a TON of music with nothing but a Roland EM-10 and an 8-track recorder.

I purchased other equipment to modify the way in which I made music, but the gear was not the device which caused me to make the music.

New gear is for different sounds, effects, timbres, and all the other things that go along with having a different instrument. These changes have no effect on how well I compose and record music. They just change the sounds of the recordings.

orlando56
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:03 am
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage
Location: North Cackalacky

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by orlando56 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 am

@Mr Knesh

I agree that you don't need gear to make great music. I made some of my favorite tunes with a 2-track reel-to-reel, a Casio VL-Tone(!), and a crappy nylon-string guitar. Limitations are good.

What I meant was only that you should not let an obsessive hunt for the great deal prevent you from expanding your arsenal, because a year or so later you'll remember the music you made much more than you'll remember the price you paid.

User avatar
Mr Knesh
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:06 am
Real name: Roland
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.
Location: Oregon

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by Mr Knesh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:38 am

orlando56 wrote:A year or so later you'll remember the music you made much more than you'll remember the price you paid.
Hurray! We agree on something!

User avatar
Mr Knesh
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:06 am
Real name: Roland
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.
Location: Oregon

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by Mr Knesh » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:21 am

I just added the korg electribes to my price tracking doc.

This may have been a mistake.

User avatar
Nannerfan
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: Vintage synth prices

Post by Nannerfan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:17 am

ya blew it..

Post Reply