do you think MIDI interfaces are going obsolete?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

do you think MIDI interfaces are going obsolete?

Post by DLovas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:56 pm

I keep seeing more and more synths come off the line that have MIDI communication built right into the USB out of the unit. You guys think that MIDI interfaces are heading towards extinction?

If not explain why - there must be more to certain interfaces that i am not aware of - as of now i just have a MOTU MIDI Express with 5 ins and 5 outs - simply enough i just plugin and use my DAW to send messages...

are there more to these interfaces that i am not aware of?

anyway - if there isn't then I think that MIDI interfaces will be slowing in production...

what do you think?

polardark

Re: do you think MIDI interfaces are going obsolete?

Post by polardark » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:24 pm

I think MIDI interfaces *should* be made obsolete but it's not like there's a good alternative out there. USB-MIDI continues to build up momentum and it's probably one of the better options out there even though it's mostly (only?) usable for connecting with a computer.

Another problem with MIDI interfaces is that they're obscenely overpriced. It's essentially 30 year old digital technology. Last time i bought a midi interface it was a $5 one from China.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm

As long as people keep using vintage and semi-vintage stuff that has classic MIDI connectors, there will be classic MIDI interfaces. As for me: the only MIDI connection in active use is my masterkeyboard going to my PC. It could as well have been USB I guess, but this specific masterkeyboard was probably a wee moment before the giant USB revolution, alas, I have a MIDI2USB thingy.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 pm

When shopping synths that do MIDI over USB it's always worth checking to see if they can act as a MIDI interface for other gear.

Most audio interfaces these days act as MIDI interfaces but I can't think of any that support more than one port (16 channels).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

bad andy
Gear: Rhodes Mark I
Oberheim OB8
Hohner Clav D6
Korg DW8000
Korg Trinity+
Kawai K5000r
Nord 2 Rack
Nord Stage 73 classic
Korg microKorg XL

Post by bad andy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm in the camp that still uses (a lot of) pre-USB midi only gear. As long as we're out here, products will be too. We can expect a slowdown in demand, and product choice, but the user base is here and will be for a long time.

Now... midi > USB retrofits for the older gear would be a nice product. 8)

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm

I don't think the climate is right amongst the various synthesizer manufacturers for another massive over-haul of synthesizer interfaces. All of the modern companies either can't be bothered to create a new form of interface, or they are developing their own usb interface. Midi has needed a massive rebuild for many many years, but I don't see the market having that much drive to find something to replace it it

Nightdare
Gear: Roland D-50 / XV-88
Various guitars

Post by Nightdare » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:08 pm

...I'm still waiting for tubes to go obsolete

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:12 pm

But tubes don't communicate in a network and don't represent the technological capacity of a certain moment in time (thus they don't age). MIDI is by now stone age communication technology with stone age capacity. Both are outdated anno today.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:22 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Most audio interfaces these days act as MIDI interfaces but I can't think of any that support more than one port (16 channels).
I was thinking about the necessity of a specific MIDI interface lately too... For the moment, 1 in and 1 out on my Firewire Audio interface is enough, but when the time comes to have more gear connected, would something like the mergers and the thru boxes like these work http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm and solve the problem by connecting them to my 2 already existing ports?

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Mr. DiSco wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Most audio interfaces these days act as MIDI interfaces but I can't think of any that support more than one port (16 channels).
I was thinking about the necessity of a specific MIDI interface lately too... For the moment, 1 in and 1 out on my Firewire Audio interface is enough, but when the time comes to have more gear connected, would something like the mergers and the thru boxes like these work http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm and solve the problem by connecting them to my 2 already existing ports?
:thumbsup: Those should do the trick.

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:02 am

mharris80 wrote:
Mr. DiSco wrote:
:thumbsup: Those should do the trick.
Cool =D> Then if you have an audio interface with midi ports, you can buy those Quadra boxes from Midi Solutions and then my answer would be Yes, midi interfaces are somehow obsolete.

orlando56
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage

Post by orlando56 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:56 am

I recently bought a MOTU Micro Lite 5x5 interface to hook up the vintage gear I have acquired in the last couple of years. Perhaps it's only useful for devices made in that pre-USB window of time, but it was a good choice for my needs.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:21 am

DLovas wrote:I keep seeing more and more synths come off the line that have MIDI communication built right into the USB out of the unit. You guys think that MIDI interfaces are heading towards extinction?

If not explain why - there must be more to certain interfaces that i am not aware of - as of now i just have a MOTU MIDI Express with 5 ins and 5 outs - simply enough i just plugin and use my DAW to send messages...

are there more to these interfaces that i am not aware of?

anyway - if there isn't then I think that MIDI interfaces will be slowing in production...

what do you think?
short genral answer.. yes yes yes .. because there's already so much out there..

nearly nothing in my setup is made past 1987. It's not that I'm a luddite.. it's just that I can do just about anything with what I got, paired up with a DAW. The better computers get. The more MIDI interfaces we will see. (Or thankfully they we be built in more directly somehow..like an Atari ST or that crazy Yamaha computer with 8 outs)

Either way.. It's basically why synths had to have computers involved in the first place... spitting out sequences and changing patches..
Last edited by Nannerfan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:29 am, edited 6 times in total.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:24 am

orlando56 wrote:I recently bought a MOTU Micro Lite 5x5 interface to hook up the vintage gear I have acquired in the last couple of years. Perhaps it's only useful for devices made in that pre-USB window of time, but it was a good choice for my needs.
Yes :agree: As i said earlier, I own one as well - i find it to be a Rock Solid unit - but then again - then again i own ZERO synths with USB out. All of mine predate 2000.

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:34 am

Old MIDI has serious limitations though. Low data rate leads to shitty latency and the connectors and cables are big and bulky. It's not a good solution. You can tell that the industry is phasing out MIDI by the lack of MIDI THRU ports in new gear. You do need THRU ports in a larger MIDI setup. Problem is the lack of more intelligent USB-MIDI products.