Local music shops= no synths ever?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Local music shops= no synths ever?

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 am

I was in my local guitar center today-- closest one is about a half hour, and i went into the keyboard room... keep in mind this is a pretty big section of the store for DJ equipment and other stuff electronic artists would use... a room full of "synths"... I went in there, and the only true synths plugged in were the microkorg and akai mini. everything else was a controller. some other stuff was in there-- mostly lame digital workstations, maybe a new roland juno... absolutely nothing to check out. I was there hoping they'd have a tempest, but not even a phatty or dsi synth. At a different store (sam ash i think) they had no DSI gear either... most they had was a Phatty sitting next to a microkorg, which scares any potential buyer away looking at the price difference.

Anyone else finding that their local shops show no love to keys?

Mr. DiSco

Re: Local music shops= no synths ever?

Post by Mr. DiSco » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:09 am

Yes, here most local stores can have heavily-priced guitars and guitar amps, and drums, but when it comes to keyboard, local means Yamaha Cheapest things with speakers... Which I'm not sure if it is a good move, since most people are more turn to be more interested in electronic music, and would be attracted to be able to find the tools to produce electronic music at their local store...

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 am

Of the two locally owned music stores here (no Guitar Center here), one has totally quit carrying keyboards except for pianos. But yeah, hundreds of over-priced "signature edition" guitars.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:48 am

cornutt wrote:Of the two locally owned music stores here (no Guitar Center here), one has totally quit carrying keyboards except for pianos. But yeah, hundreds of over-priced "signature edition" guitars.
Apparently guitar is, like, the new guitar...
Do you even post on vse bro?

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:56 am

Kidney05 wrote:I was in my local guitar center today-- closest one is about a half hour, and i went into the keyboard room... keep in mind this is a pretty big section of the store for DJ equipment and other stuff electronic artists would use... a room full of "synths"... I went in there, and the only true synths plugged in were the microkorg and akai mini. everything else was a controller. some other stuff was in there-- mostly lame digital workstations, maybe a new roland juno... absolutely nothing to check out. I was there hoping they'd have a tempest, but not even a phatty or dsi synth. At a different store (sam ash i think) they had no DSI gear either... most they had was a Phatty sitting next to a microkorg, which scares any potential buyer away looking at the price difference.

I live by new york city - so when i head into sam ash by times square, they've got tons of DSI gear as well as moog, nord, Roland (mostly the likes of the Fantom) and then ofc they have the Kronos and i even saw an arturia origin.

My guess is that since its NYC then they just make sure to have everything, cause many people will pass through.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:09 pm

It's some time ago (5 years or more) since my largest local music store stopped carrying synths... The used to have a great room with loads of synths and other pro audio gear (rackmounted stuff, digital desks etc). But now that room is filled with pianos, home keyboards and Clavinova stuff. Having said that, I'm not surprised, they hardly ever used to sell any synths or pro gear as they always charged full RRP/SRP and were very reluctant to give discounts.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:28 pm

A shop needs to sell their goods, that's the concept of a shop. And obviously, if they don't have a large corner with synths, then it's because they don't sell 'm anymore. It's not being anti-synth, but being anti-economicfailure. It may be against the principles of a large section of people around here, but people are moving towards softsynths, whether you like it or not. So, you need controllers for softsynths, but that's where it ends as far as the shop is concerned. If the shop is lucky, it may be able to sell a high-end virtual instrument. But knowing how internet works, if I were to be a shop: I'd never have pro-samples in stock.

You may all have a concept of when a synth is good (e.g. amount of tweakability, size of the ROM, amount of keys, whether it's digital or analogue, number of outputs etc. etc.).

But here are the three aspects of what makes a good product for a shop. The best product is one that:
- sells the most
- has the biggest margin for the shop
- has the least amount of warranty troubles

And this could mean that a random consumer Casio keyboard makes a commercially better product than a Korg Oasys.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Zardoz
Gear: Zardoz is pleased.
Band: Pecora Pecora

Post by Zardoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Well here ( Montreal Canada ) there's more than enough for me such as the Moog store which I tend to avoid because it makes me drool too much and my shirt gets all soggy.

bad andy
Gear: Rhodes Mark I
Oberheim OB8
Hohner Clav D6
Korg DW8000
Korg Trinity+
Kawai K5000r
Nord 2 Rack
Nord Stage 73 classic
Korg microKorg XL

Post by bad andy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:24 pm

CS_TBL wrote:=
And this could mean that a random consumer Casio keyboard makes a commercially better product than a Korg Oasys.
This is the key. I used to work for a large retailer after college, and while they did have a lot of pro synths, and we sold a bunch. We also sold a LOT of home keyboards and clavinova style pianos. And, the markup on those were much higher than the pro synths so the store (and salesperson) made out much better profit-wise.

Some of it has to do with area as well, a place like NYC will need to have gear on hand because they will receive the largest amount of traffic, due to sheer population and tourist appeal. Not to mention local music scene and all that. While somewhere not nearly as urban, with a stifled music scene, less people, no tourist attraction - would have a hard time selling many pro keyboards - so it just wouldn't make business sense for them to stock them.

Can't run a successful business is you can't move your inventory.

* That being said, it does suck because I really want to try a Voyager and the nearest one for me is in NYC. ;)

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:59 pm

There's this really cool shop near me. I forget the name, but they buy and sell used gear there. Tons of rack FX units, but also synths and keyboards. I remember spotting a Crumar Composer in there but a sign on the unit said it needed all kinds of fixes, keys didn't work and so on. So I passed on it. I remember there were other professional grade keyboards in there, but I don't remember what they were. Really cool store though.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 pm

CS_TBL wrote:A shop needs to sell their goods, that's the concept of a shop. And obviously, if they don't have a large corner with synths, then it's because they don't sell 'm anymore. It's not being anti-synth, but being anti-economicfailure. It may be against the principles of a large section of people around here, but people are moving towards softsynths, whether you like it or not. So, you need controllers for softsynths, but that's where it ends as far as the shop is concerned. If the shop is lucky, it may be able to sell a high-end virtual instrument. But knowing how internet works, if I were to be a shop: I'd never have pro-samples in stock.

You may all have a concept of when a synth is good (e.g. amount of tweakability, size of the ROM, amount of keys, whether it's digital or analogue, number of outputs etc. etc.).

But here are the three aspects of what makes a good product for a shop. The best product is one that:
- sells the most
- has the biggest margin for the shop
- has the least amount of warranty troubles

I agree with what you say. There are no music shops anywhere near me except a Guitar Center about 30 minutes away. The synth section is always empty...and I mean no customers are in there. The have pretty much stopped carrying the good stuff...mosty just Casios and cheap Yamahas in there. I know there are not many synth people in my are, and that is probably why they don't carry anything.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Kidney05 wrote:I was in my local guitar center today-- closest one is about a half hour, and i went into the keyboard room... keep in mind this is a pretty big section of the store for DJ equipment and other stuff electronic artists would use... a room full of "synths"... I went in there, and the only true synths plugged in were the microkorg and akai mini. everything else was a controller. some other stuff was in there-- mostly lame digital workstations, maybe a new roland juno... absolutely nothing to check out. I was there hoping they'd have a tempest, but not even a phatty or dsi synth. At a different store (sam ash i think) they had no DSI gear either... most they had was a Phatty sitting next to a microkorg, which scares any potential buyer away looking at the price difference.

The closest places to me that have any kind of synth selection are GC and Sam Ash in Indy. (2 hours away) And even then, GC mostly just has romplers, a MicroKorg, and a Micron. Last time I was in SA, they did have a Little Phatty and a Mono Evolver, but that was about it. And since those two were floor models, they weren't in the best of shape, either.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 pm

You can always go to Guitar Center's website, pick out gear you are interested in and then check to see if any of the GCs near you actually have it in stock.

The ones near me carry Big 3 workstations, Korg micros, Roland Junos/Gaias, MPCs, stage pianos and that's about it. Controllers are kept in the room with the recording gear, home keyboards in yet another room.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:01 am

meatballfulton wrote:The ones near me carry Big 3 workstations, Korg micros, Roland Junos/Gaias, MPCs, stage pianos and that's about it. Controllers are kept in the room with the recording gear, home keyboards in yet another room.
I remember back in the early 2000s the big GC in Hollywood had Alesis Andromedas and Novation synths out on the floor, and the Sam Ash across the street had an incredible collection of synths for sale on the second floor. It was so easy to try the new stuff as it came out - they even had Access Viruses around. Now GC have expanded into more neighborhoods and sell exactly what you said...

Once in a while you can run across a used vintage or modern synthesizer at GC- the one near where I live had a Roland Juno 106 on the floor (not connected to any speakers, lol)
MARS had a killer synth section but they are long gone by now.

Just imagine rolling up to a "Synth Center" and upon opening the door, hearing resonant sweeps going off everywhere as people try out synths :mrgreen: I think that would be cool.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:46 am

visceralvoids wrote:
Just imagine rolling up to a "Synth Center" and upon opening the door, hearing resonant sweeps going off everywhere as people try out synths :mrgreen: I think that would be cool.
reminds me of "The 5th Element"

bruce willis movie lol