Pimp My DX!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Pimp My DX!

Post by elmosexwhistle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:42 am

The Yamaha DX11 is probably the most interesting 4-op DX of them all. I fell in love with it as it is built around a sound generation chip VERY similar to the one used in the Sega Genesis/Megadrive and i grew up with those kind of sounds. Mine came from ebay for around £70, most FM synths can be bought for very little money these days, and was in a bit of a sorry state:

4 keys not pressing down correctly or sounding,
Small dings and scratches on the front panel,
Big Nasty scratches on the right-hand plastic end cheek.
Everything was functionally fine but it wasn't very fun to play.

I bought some new keys from the yamaha spares department (they still sell them, they're the same keys used on products such as the An1x) opened everything up and replaced them. With the front panel, i used a black "paint pen" to draw over the scratches so that they're barely visible to the naked eye, and cleaned everything up. I now had a completely functional DX11 which played beautifully (i love the yamaha keybeds) but i didn't stop there. Remember the big nasty scratches on the right end cheek? Well I thought i'd cover them up in a novel way.

I bought $5 worth of faux woodgrain vinyl from ebay off a company called "DC FIX" and it comes in lots of colours and types of wood pattern. In a rather slapdash manner (i'm no craftsman) i cut out the right amount to coat the end cheeks, and then saded down the edges so that the top and side blended into one another. A few dings and imperfections were made by accident but as i wanted an aged vintage wooden look it was perfectly acceptable.

My new retro DX11 looks lovely and everytime i see it i want to just play it.

The best part of this whole thing though, is that i've got a doepfer dark energy and a yamaha CS15 coming in the next month, the dark energy has wooden end cheeks, and i'll be getting the same made for the CS15 aswell. I'm then going to arrange the CS15 and DE on the top of a double keyboard stand, with the DX underneath to control them (using a kenton pro) and it'll look like a beautiful trio of wood-ended black metal synths.

Now, for the pictures (sorry about the camera-phone quality, i've asked for a camera for xmas)

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Re: Pimp My DX!

Post by OntarioHydro » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Awesome! especially the part about every time you see it you just wanna play it. Its nice to have synths that call you to play with them.

Hope you enjoy the CS-15 I hope to get one this year sometime..

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 am

Nice job. Inhave a dx7ii fd thats a project synth right now but it wont be getting cheeky.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 am

That actually looks really nice. Good work. :)
soundcloud.com/vectron

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:38 am

Nice work - That looks great!!! :)

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:13 am

well i figured that fake wood veneer has gone from being tacky and passé to actually being retro now so why not? it certainly looked better than scratched black plastic, and the wood on the juno 60's were all veneer over chip board anyway weren't they?

really getting back into this synth, i actually dig the presets (mainly the percussion and synth sounds, the woodwind and anything trying to be a guitar are TERRIBLE! apart from the distorted guitar which is SO bad, it's good) it does the whole megadrive thing really well, and nasty grungy stuff, maybe i'll do a youtube demo soon.