Why is the 303 the de-facto Acid synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Why is the 303 the de-facto Acid synth?

Post by tekkentool » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:37 pm

The thing the 303 really had was that rubbery sound when distorted. Which you normally see now coming from notch filters combined with multiband distortion just to get a similar rubbery sound when distorted.

for what I mean.

I'd say right now the 303 is no longer the de facto synth when people want to get acid sounds. They instead take influence from the programming and use others synthesizers to approach the style of sound. No modern tracks use the 303 any more, I wouldn't say the sound is dated. But more done to death already.

You still see the influence.

even in modern pop I can still see the squelchy acid lines influencing years on.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:06 pm

tekkentool wrote:They instead take influence from the programming and use others synthesizers to approach the style of sound.
Pretty much every synth (hard or soft) you buy these days has a few 303-wannabe patches included in the factory set. Not to mention all the loop libraries loaded with squelch...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:15 pm

i liked mine so much i sold it.

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:15 pm

meatballfulton wrote: Pretty much every synth (hard or soft) you buy these days has a few 303-wannabe patches included in the factory set. Not to mention all the loop libraries loaded with squelch...
This does not mean that pretty much every synth can make that sound good. An example of this that I have been struggling to get good teebee lines out of is the jp8080. That thing is great for pads and leads, but can't do an acid line to save its knobby life.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Mr Knesh wrote:
meatballfulton wrote: Pretty much every synth (hard or soft) you buy these days has a few 303-wannabe patches included in the factory set. Not to mention all the loop libraries loaded with squelch...
This does not mean that pretty much every synth can make that sound good. An example of this that I have been struggling to get good teebee lines out of is the jp8080. That thing is great for pads and leads, but can't do an acid line to save its knobby life.
And yet, around the same time period those were new, many who didn't have a 303 were using a Korg to get their ersatz acid sounds. There's gotta be some irony in there somewhere. :D

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm

what came first the chicken or the egg?

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:50 pm

mharris80 wrote:
Mr Knesh wrote:
And yet, around the same time period those were new, many who didn't have a 303 were using a Korg to get their ersatz acid sounds. There's gotta be some irony in there somewhere. :D
Korg what? like the prophecy?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:58 pm

I remember when the Prophecy first came out, being VA and having that onboard distortion. It wasn't until then that I realized the real oddball on the 303 was that hybrid square wave.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:27 am

Mr Knesh wrote:
mharris80 wrote:
Mr Knesh wrote:
Korg what? like the prophecy?
Indeed.

Robonaut
Gear: Roland JD-800
Roland JV-2080
Roland SH-101
Studio Electronics Omega 8

Post by Robonaut » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Not sure why people are talking so much about the filter, envelopes, etc.

The 303 is the defacto acid box because of the sequencer. Period.

Almost any analog synth with a good filter can get a decent acid timbre, but, for a loooooong time, the only way most people could get a sequencer that would allow them to generate those quirky acid patterns was by using a real 303 (or maybe a MC-202). That's why I always found it so funny when, back in the 90's, they kept releasing 303 clones which didn't have a sequencer attached.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:20 pm

a lot of artists made that style of music without a 303, and without using something else to make 303 sounds in its place. someone emulating a 303 sound in another style of music with a different instrument is not acid. just like the 303 is used in all sorts of trance, techno and ambient music that would never be considered acid. also, acid should not be confused with minimalism, although there are many examples where the boundary is blured. I would argue sampler & drum machine combination is more central to the sound of acid than the 303, the 303 is sort of just the crown jewels that makes it all really distinctive. not to mention awesome 80's pcm drum machines.

no 303, or barely any:

More about the vibe really, even with 303. dfinitly not the "minimalist" misconception of acid:

What it's really all about(beware, long and really esoteric). notice the appearant obscurity of discrete "songs" in the mix, and the over all progressive and psychadelic nature of it.not so hard to see why it's called acid from this video. also, there's a sense of "confusion" that's lost in modern minimalism that seems like a pretty important aspect of the sound:

interestingly, my personal opinion is that even though a lot of people like the sound of the 303, not a whole lot of people really like acid music :idea:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:39 am

Robonaut: Every component(part/module) has its part in the sound, we're all adding to the list of unique characterstics of the tb-303. Go to the xoxforum to see examples of using older components for relic-izing the power supply for characteristic dips to effect the resonance. Its also unanimous if you want the ______ sound, buy the ______. I agree implementations within the sequencer attribute to the 303's sound, but i think i could program a sequence in any daw to a 303(w/ midi mod), and it'd be a little more true to the 303 sound than any other synth hooked up to an acidlab autobot. Check out some of the 303 clones, copys and trubutes in the modular world to get a better idea of what module pertains to each certain quality of the TB.

Ninja: great post, love the acid

TEN_K

Post by TEN_K » Sat May 19, 2012 12:29 am

It wasn't the Defacto synth of acid "it is the synth of acid".
And I agree with other post about acid MUSIC I never really got into acid house but the acid sound of my distorted 303 is a vital element in my music (Hard NRG Trance Hard house even Drum and Bass)
I really think it's not until you own one and really fall in love with it that you will get it in an emotional sense. I have read for years about this and there seems to be people who tend to use its design and parts used and all other sorts of technical explinations about why it sounds like it does.

These are valid points and I agree with the concepts like different batches of parts from suppliers making them all slightly different in charachter etc.. I

More than that though they are something "special" profoundly so. I know this sounds a bit esoteric but perhaps we as lovers of them and their sound were blessed maybe the techno stars were in the right part of jupiter whatever the point I'm making is that we got lucky.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone will exactly duplicate them in every way and show why they are unique but considering they all have their own idividuality I have compared mine to two other friends and not just for a few minutes this is over hours and years and they DO sound differnt but strangely the same
WHAT A GLORIOUS PARADOX

boreg

Post by boreg » Sat May 19, 2012 10:10 am

Sir Nose wrote:It is the defacto acid synth because of the way its sound uniquely interacts with a human brain on LSD.
:!:
This.

TEN_K

Post by TEN_K » Sun May 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Ageed : warning do not ingest in studio will lead to aseme sounds nostalga and hours of wasted composition time