Ultimate Sound Design via Synthesis!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Ultimate Sound Design via Synthesis!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Recently I got to do some sound design work on a friend's film. It was a film about the supernatural, so the sky was the limit. Pretty freakin' fun!

What's your favorite synth(s) for sound design?

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Ultimate Sound Design via Synthesis!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:53 pm

My favorite for that sort of thing is probably the one most often overlooked is the technics sx-wsa1. ultra powerful but also immediately gratifying. dx synths are uber-powerful as well as wavetable synths, the sx-wsa1 and maybe yamaha ex5 are the most fun to just get down and dirty with.

that and the modular and a good sampler.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Symbolic Sound Kyma with Pacarana. Hands down the most intense and deep "instrument" (environment) I've had the pleasure of working in.

Actual hardware synth wise, it would be a close toss up between the Andromeda and the OB-Mx.

The question seems somewhat slanted to Keyboard/Rack based equipment versus a modular, because one could just say "duh, my Dotcom! :biggrin: " and it would really speak little to which PART of the dotcom is the most intriguing. So if you plan on answering anything regarding a modular, in all fairness - do share the one or two modules that are key players in alot of your patches... ;)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:25 pm

errrr a VCO?

:)
no, I kid. id' say it's more the ability to patch something in and re-sample it that has more of an effect for sound design than actually "having a modular" like some elitist anas. I use the intellijel mu-scale basically every time I turn the dern thing on. and the more sequencers, eg's, funky gate switcher trigger ma whoosy what's and fm-ing wave-folding crazy osc's you can get the more fun you can have creating sound.

.....but i almost always end up sampling it and then beating the heck out of it in the pc anyway. hence the duality of sound design.

I should add that the mu-scale is awesome because you have a ton of scalar options, but the ability to shift upwards downwards and all over the place with an input signal is huge. put a little slew on the output cv and you have some pretty dang awesome abilities.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:54 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:dang
:lol: :lol:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Virus indigo 2

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 pm

V-Synth - can sound very epic, spooky, sci-fi, glorious, etc.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:36 pm

"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:43 am

the SX-WSA1r is something I'd definitely still like to try someday.

my top 3 would be: V-Synth, EX5 and Z1 -- (with the V-Synth in the lead by a large margin), but I imagine that newer super-synths like the Solaris and Oasys/Kronos would be great as well.

on the software side I'm currently looking into Alchemy after having been impressed by their free iPad app. So far it looks very intriguing and it's perhaps the one program outside of Ableton that I'd care to run. Really what I would love to see is for AAS's Tassman to get finally get updated and preferably worked into Live alongside their other apps, that + MAX might be the be-all and the end-all combo for me.

but (if you have the right disposition) Kyma is really still the king. Every now and then I think that perhaps giving it another try with the newer Pacarana would be very cool, but then I also think that it would potentially be the worst thing I could introduce into my studio (I do not have the right disposition)

and MetaSynth should get an honorable mention. Great app that used to be my go-to, but mine is now outdated and hasn't been used in years. Brilliant at sound design and the new version looks nice.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 am

TB-303
Do you even post on vse bro?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:15 am

monotron
soundcloud.com/vectron

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 am

theremin
Do you even post on vse bro?

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:25 am

_seph wrote: on the software side I'm currently looking into Alchemy after having been impressed by their free iPad app. So far it looks very intriguing and it's perhaps the one program outside of Ableton that I'd care to run. Really what I would love to see is for AAS's Tassman to get finally get updated and preferably worked into Live alongside their other apps, that + MAX might be the be-all and the end-all combo for me.
Alchemy is a great softsynth. You won't regret it.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 am

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:yamaha ex5
I'd go with that (though mine is the lesser EX7).
silikon wrote:Actual hardware synth wise, it would be a close toss up between the Andromeda
I'd go with that too!

But for me it's what you can do with a whole combination of things rather than just one synth... Field recordings, VST's, synths, hardware effects etc etc. Although I don't have a modular synth, I use all my gear like it is one sometimes.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:07 pm

CS_TBL wrote:yes
I actually came across your video a few days ago - great work! FM8 is definitely a tantalizing piece of software!