equipment that instantly inspires workflow

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Re: equipment that instantly inspires workflow

Post by portland » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Kawai Q-80, surprisingly

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 pm

for me personally, fast is required.

i cant even stand waiting for things to warm up anymore.they've been sold.

the faster i can put a riff down the happier i am, and ideas always come to me on a new day, upon firing up the
machines.if i spend more than 30 mins trying to find my sound its not going to happen.

i know modular would frustrate me, i could have a song mapped out. rather than wrestling a heavy weight.

im currently sketching simple ideas with a 707 a yammy tx81z an emu procussion. and getting fast results.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 pm

THey may be fast, but are they bulbous? Bulbous, also tapered?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 pm

garranimal wrote:On the subject of easing workflow, the best little investment I have made was a patchbay. I spend much less time fussing with wires behind my mixing desk and more time experimenting with different effect chains.
Absolutely. Workflow is improved when the setup is streamlined - that doesn't mean minimal, just that everything is as ready to take your ideas as possible. A well-arranged patchbay is a good investment.

On these lines, I have found my ALlen & Heath Zed R16 to be a fantastic purchase - I was using a separate mixer and interface, but the Zed is both, gives me more I/O in a neater package with a better sound and greater flexibility than before. My only gripe is the lack of direct outs for things like bussing out from Logic to hardware processing, unless I'm missing a trick - it's a job for inserts at the moment.