Analogue Solutions subculture and the world of CV/Modular

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
breitt

Analogue Solutions subculture and the world of CV/Modular

Post by breitt » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:00 am

I never paid much attention to Analogue Solutions equipment because all their products seemed geared more for modular and CV aficianados, a club I'm not currently a member of. Until this week, that is. While looking for a unit to replace my FR 777 (which was being underused), I came across the A.S. Leipzig-s. While strictly speaking it is not a member of the aforementioned club, some of its features certainly make it a close cousin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEdj4A818XU

A combination of the sound, the fact that it is discrete analog and its mindblowing sequencer propelled me to order it today. While perusing the company's other equipment, I stumbled upon video after video of fantastic sounds and machines. Some had CV, some had midi. Some had spiderwebs of wires and patches. But all of them were magnificent. This is a representative sample of what I was seeing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-OzE0tkMs

As someone who is completely ignorant of the world of CV and modular, I was blown away by the unique and organic sounds I've been missing. Having owned a Moog RME Voyager and a Studio Electronis Omega 4, I knew that analog equipment had the edgy intonation that I love, but I never knew what I was missing in terms of analog sequencing. I guess I'm getting a glimpse of my future and I now understand why many gearheads here have moved in that direction.
Elektron Analog 4

MitchK1989

Re: Analogue Solutions subculture and the world of CV/Modula

Post by MitchK1989 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:48 am

there's an entire format of 3u high modules with 3.5mm jacks called 'eurorack' which includes a huge variety of modules from all sorts of manufacturers such as makenoise, intellijel, doepfer, and tiptop audio (and many many more which I am not naming here because it would be too many to list).

Lots of sequencers, both as a whole and in parts (flip flops, switches, sequential switches, clock division, etc)

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:11 pm

that's just the tip of the iceberg. look at all these other modular companies - http://modular.xtreemhost.com

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:59 pm

Where did you order the A.S. Leipzig-s from? I didn't know it was for sale yet.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

breitt

Post by breitt » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:40 am

theglyph wrote:Where did you order the A.S. Leipzig-s from? I didn't know it was for sale yet.
I got it from Novamusik. I think it's been out for at least a month, but they're very hard to find. I just opened the box and started playing it a few hours ago.

I'm not sure what I think of it yet. On the one hand, it sounds thinner and more "lo-fi" than I was expecting. Doesn't have the presence of a Moog, though I wasn't expecting that. I'm a little frustrated so far that it's very hard to control the sounds. Difficult to get a sense of "musicality" from it. It's certainly gritty and nasty. I'll report back later with a more in-depth review. Not 100% sure that I want to keep it, but I'm going to force myself to learn more about it before I make a hasty decision.
Elektron Analog 4

breitt

Post by breitt » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:21 am

breitt wrote:
theglyph wrote:Where did you order the A.S. Leipzig-s from? I didn't know it was for sale yet.
I got it from Novamusik. I think it's been out for at least a month, but they're very hard to find. I just opened the box and started playing it a few hours ago.

I'm not sure what I think of it yet. On the one hand, it sounds thinner and more "lo-fi" than I was expecting.
I'm sending it back. It's one thing not to have patch memory, but this thing spits out sounds and sequences that sound completely different each time I start and stop my external midi sequencer. It would be fine as a lead instrument in a live scenario where you don't mind just noodling and experimenting, but if you want to actually use it to provide a specific bass pattern to accompany other synths, it's not reliable.
Elektron Analog 4