anyone using the "hidden waves" EPROM V3.53 on their ESQ-1 ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Re: anyone using the "hidden waves" EPROM V3.53 on their ESQ

Post by genshi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:48 pm

You guys are torturing me; I just sold my ESQ1 (which I bought brand new the day it first came out) just a couple of months ago because I was in a bind financially. One of my biggest regrets. Wish I never sold it.

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:25 pm

boingboing wrote:I have to dig out this old thread - got an esq1 these days with hidden waveforms preinstalled - but i cant just access waves higher than 127 with the data slider . I am able to reach higher numbers only by pressing PLUS many many times :shock: I've done the re-initalizing and the filter reset/calibration but nothing worked out yet... is there any trick?
127 is the magic number for MIDI data (higher parameter). Maybe it's related to your issue?
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

boingboing

Post by boingboing » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 pm

maybe i'm expecting too much from a hacked OS... But any feedback from ESQ1 owners about this behavior?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm going to guess that the encoder on the slider just doesn't go any higher than 127.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:07 am

I vaguely recall something from days past that you could access them via sysex... I'll have to look back in the archives... have you by chance done a cursory google search for this?

... If memory serves the hidden waveforms are little more than glitched/random seeks of the waveforms; mind you, it's been for bloody ever.

I know this was discussed on the Analogue Heaven mailing list a few times... perhaps hitting the AH mailing list archive might give you what you need...
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:00 am

boingboing wrote:I have to dig out this old thread - got an esq1 these days with hidden waveforms preinstalled - but i cant just access waves higher than 127 with the data slider . I am able to reach higher numbers only by pressing PLUS many many times :shock: I've done the re-initalizing and the filter reset/calibration but nothing worked out yet... is there any trick?

There is nothing wrong with your synth. That's just the way it works with the hidden waveforms EPROMs....You just have to flip through the waves higher than a certain number (127 ish) one at a time, and you can not go back wards either