just got a DX7. Suggestions on learning or patches?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zardoz677

Re: just got a DX7. Suggestions on learning or patches?

Post by zardoz677 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:07 am

Ok Im going to be making a trip to the music store in a few days. Just to clarify, in order to store patches to my computer and load patches from the computer onto the DX7, the device to buy is a midi USB adaptor right? and not a cheep one....

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:24 am

zardoz677 wrote:Ok Im going to be making a trip to the music store in a few days. Just to clarify, in order to store patches to my computer and load patches from the computer onto the DX7, the device to buy is a midi USB adaptor right? and not a cheep one....
Yes. If you can find it in the store, this should probably suit your needs for not too much money.

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:08 am

ok thanks!

New Problem: Im working on the section on naming new patches in the Massey book and for some reason I cant save names. I created a new patch from the existing electric piano1 on the cartridge and transferred my ew patch to the internal slot #22 and for some reason when I enter in the new name ex: joe, it doesnt store... I can go and navigate to other presets and then when I go back to #22 it just says electric piano 1 (the name of the previously modified preset) is there some sort of a button I am supposed to press to store the new name?

Also, I just got an m audio midi- usb interface! Im trying to decide which program to download, the fm alive dxm3 program seems to work only with pc unless I get some sort of emulator... Other than that i see this free dx7 library for mac program... I there a good mac sysex program I should check out?