Winter NAMM 2012

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Winter NAMM 2012

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:53 am

Ugh, didn't see this bit before making a new thread down on samplers.

But.

Ugh.

It looks like akai is trying to rip maschine a new one but I don't see how they're going to do it, the controller looks nice enough but also looks pretty pricey... I doubt their software will be superior either (even though it looks like a thinly veiled copy of maschine)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:58 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:New MPC looks a lot like Maschine to me, but with a lot more ins 'n' outs. Could be interesting.
could be a cool addition to Ableton Live..as a live performance pad and audio/midi interface together with the Launch Pad.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:58 pm

deleted
Last edited by wiss on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:23 pm

I'm kind of wishing I had decided to go this year! But then again, I feel that way every time I skip it.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:13 pm

griffin avid wrote:I'm interested in this only because I want to see the reaction from all the MPC diehards who trashed the Maschine as NOT being needed. Now AKAI does the same product- I wonder if they will hold onto their same stance or suddenly see why an MPC+ PC is interesting.
My money's on all the MPC diehards complaining that Numark has finally completely ruined the legacy of the MPC.

I'm sure this would be pretty awesome for some people but it just makes me totally happy with my octatrack decision. Also isn't making me worried about the resale value of my 2500 either.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: That Casio pic reminds me a lot of the Venom.
This.

I have to admit a small amount of excitement since Casio has always made weird, quirky instruments. With Casio's recent foray in to semi-pro gear, this might be the first official leap back into the "real" synthesizer market. If its a VA, which I'm just assuming it is, then that will be somewhat meh. However, if there is some analogue guts in there (as with the late-80's HT series) then things are going to get mighty interesting indeed.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:My money's on all the MPC diehards complaining that Numark has finally completely ruined the legacy of the MPC.
The most likely outcome in my opinion.

Seems much more like an advancement of the MPD range, than an MPC, and clearly puts them in the position of catch up to the Maschine.

I really thought they would have made the effort and produced an MPC that functioned independently and integrated into a DAW setup, allowing you to sample, program etc standalone, and then attach to a computer and continue a session within whatever software you use.

I guess as always we'll have to wait and see what its capabilities are, as we could all be wrong in some aspect...

Im hoping the Casio thing turns out to be something interesting rather than a generic foray into the synth world, which would just seem like a waste of everyones time...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:57 pm

hmmmmmm casio. Another synth I'll jones after, get it home, play with for a month, send back for repair, and sell used for 40% loss. see: M-audio venom.

is this real?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid= ... 7378953492

edit: sorry just saw this thread:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 04#p652458

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:That Casio pic reminds me a lot of the Venom.
It looks a little less exciting when you brighten the image to see the rest of it.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
griffin avid wrote:I'm interested in this only because I want to see the reaction from all the MPC diehards who trashed the Maschine as NOT being needed. Now AKAI does the same product-
My money's on all the MPC diehards complaining that Numark has finally completely ruined the legacy of the MPC.
One can only imagine ...and one will undoubtably probably be right .

I personally think this is what they should have done a few years back instead of the 2500 , but as much as I like to bash Akai from time to time ( their CS sucks ! ) I can see how it was a difficult choice to make as on the one hand they have their legacy / brand image at risk Vs. the perceived future . That said dragging their feet was obviously not the right choice to make or they probably wouldn't be launching a whole range tied to computers as they are now . Then again they could have been a little more innovative with their Hardware samplers too : super small amounts of expressive ram and limited and then expressive storage in the MPC1000/500 range seamed to not set any huge fires no ?

So IDK it looks cool , but what does it offer over Maschine or BPM with any number of drum pads controllers ? I guess we will see .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 pm

New pic of the casio spotted
if you zoom in you'll see the display says 'drawbar'. Perhaps the sliders will have different functions depending upon the program that is loaded.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Interesting. Purely speculation, but it seems more like a VA or ROMpler which is less interesting to me. We'll know soon enough...

Here is Casio's countdown page: http://www.casiomusicgear.com/

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 am

loungedumore wrote:So IDK it looks cool , but what does it offer over Maschine or BPM with any number of drum pads controllers ? I guess we will see .
It's an audio and midi interface as well.

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
loungedumore wrote:So IDK it looks cool , but what does it offer over Maschine or BPM with any number of drum pads controllers ? I guess we will see .
It's an audio and midi interface as well.
True and I like the fact it's heavy on the midi dins too . What I'm most curious about is the soft side and even more so ... The stability and forward support as this is were Akai seam to have their achilles heel .
Last edited by loungedumore on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:28 pm

StepLogik wrote:Interesting. Purely speculation, but it seems more like a VA or ROMpler which is less interesting to me. We'll know soon enough...

Here is Casio's countdown page: http://www.casiomusicgear.com/
From the pics I'm guessing both in a "modern day " arranger type of way .