The great official thread of the Prophet-5

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: The great official thread of the Prophet-5

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

PG, MF!

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 am

GuyaGuy wrote:PG, MF!

F$&@ YEAH!

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Pillip Glass is a true genius. I should look up more of his stuff. About ten years ago I got a CD that included some stuff from Einstien on the beach, and some other stuff done in Sanskrit or something. After watching this I can't help but wonder if he was the inspiration for Sideshow Bob.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Thx for the PG clips - his Don Music-style conducting is always hypnotic.

Just wondering if there's any solo P5 Glass pieces, 'cause in general I THOUGHT the P5 patches were usually just organ-type sounds?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:27 pm

theotherleadingbrand wrote:Pillip Glass is a true genius. I should look up more of his stuff. About ten years ago I got a CD that included some stuff from Einstien on the beach, and some other stuff done in Sanskrit or something. After watching this I can't help but wonder if he was the inspiration for Sideshow Bob.
The one in Sanskrit is Satyagraha, based on Gandhi and part of the same operatic trilogy as Einstein. Einstein is being performed this year on a mini-tour. Can't wait to see it in Brooklyn. I saw an abbreviated performance at Carnegie Hall and it was one of my favorite concerts ever.
walkathon wrote:Thx for the PG clips - his Don Music-style conducting is always hypnotic.

Just wondering if there's any solo P5 Glass pieces, 'cause in general I THOUGHT the P5 patches were usually just organ-type sounds?
Not that I can think of. His synths are usually supporting other instruments rather than acting as primary instruments. But 1,000 Airplanes on the Roof features synths more predominantly. Not sure which synths he used on that recording.

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 pm

If Ashley MacIsaac is still working with Phillip Glass, I'd be interested in seeing them live.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon May 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Here are some truly groovy videos and sounds of different revisions of the Prophet-5!

David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Bamboo Houses"

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 pm

The Canadian synth-pop band Images In Vogue were big users of the Prophet 5

In these live performances from Nov 1982 they're using four P5's on stage:

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu May 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Off topic, but videos like these make me wonder were all the Simmons drum kits are. There must be hundreds of them collecting dust in garages and basements, because for a while it seemed like any band of any note had at least 3 or 4 Simmons pads as part of their drumkit. Just like the original Steinberger basses, it seemed like every "name" bassist you saw on TV or live in that era had to use one.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun May 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Roger Powell (Todd Rundgren's Utopia) was one of the first synthesists to use the Prophet 5 in the studio and live.

The following clip with David Bowie contains the earliest live performance (from may '78) I'm aware of where a P5 was used:

The earliest recorded instance of "The Prophet" synthesizer (as it was originally called in ads) may be Joe Zawinul's
album "Mr. Gone", which was recorded in may '78. The printing date of the original "The Prophet" demo/soundsheet
record is 5-18-78 so it probably predates the recording of Zawinul's album by a month or so.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

analogholic

Post by analogholic » Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Micke wrote: The earliest recorded instance of "The Prophet" synthesizer (as it was originally called in ads) may be Joe Zawinul's
album "Mr. Gone", which was recorded in may '78. The printing date of the original "The Prophet" demo/soundsheet
record is 5-18-78 so it probably predates the recording of Zawinul's album by a month or so.
Actually, "Mr Gone" was a "Weather Report" album, eventhough Zawinul was the main man behind it.

Some Prophet 5 info regarding Zawinul:

"Zawinul first used the Prophet 5 on Mr. Gone, and in a 1978 downbeat interview he said the album was his best yet because of the Prophet. "It's a great ensemble instrument," Zawinul said. "The touch feels good, a lot of resistance. And the sounds are amazingly accurate. The trumpet sounds exactly like brass--on this album [Mr. Gone] it's like having a big, swinging orchestra." Zawinul was also able to play one of his Arp 2600s from the Prophet keyboard, either separately or simultaneously with the Prophet. "This Prophet keyboard is an incredible machine; it has what I've always needed to make the music come off. I have forty-four different programs, including a string sound that you will not know isn't a symphony orchestra. It hasn't changed the way I write music, it just means there's no limitation." [RS 282]

The Prophet quickly became Zawinul's main instrument--"the essential keyboard for me," he said near the end of 1978--and his entire setup was built around it. Zawinul said he had "a fantastic string sound on the Prophet-5, unequaled by any other synthesizer," which can be heard on "In a Silent Way" from the 8:30 album. Supposedly Zawinul's first Prophet 5, serial number 00002, was turned into a coffee table by a Sequential Circuits engineer.

AND:

In concert, Zawinul's arsenal of keyboards is usually arranged in three sections. When he faces the audience, he has the rev 2 Prophet-S directly in front of him, with the Rhodes Chroma below. "The Prophet-5 is his main keyboard," affirms Jim. " He always bases his moves around it. Since we have two Prophets, the one in front is called Prophet one. It also has a memory modification, so it holds 160 programs instead of 40. Prophet two is a rev 3.2, which has 120 programs. We've connected the two Prophets together, but it's strictly a monophonic interface; one voice on Prophet two can be triggered from Prophet one. We would like to have a polyphonic hookup between them, but that depends on whether or not the rev 2 Prophet can be retrofit with a digital interface [MIDI]." At Zawinul's left is a stack of three keyboards: On top is the ARP Quadra, below that is the rev 3.2 Prophet, then the Swanson keyboard controller for the Oberheim Eight-Voice, with the programmers and controllers f or the Oberheim plus the Poly-Sequencer for Prophet two on the bottom. To his right is the Emulator. "Our grand piano is 5-I/4" square now," Jim laughs. "it's a disk that goes in the Emulator. For as little as Joe uses an acoustic piano sound, it's not practical to carry one around." Sandwiched between the ARP Quadra and the number one Prophet is the Korg Vocoder.

And finally, the Rev 1/2 in action....those strings....

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 am

Does anyone know the market value of P5 atm? How much do they fetch?

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Don't tell me now that the Pro one is here your gonna ditch the P5?!?! 8-)

I think Rev 3s are going for (good condition, mind you) $2300-2600 USD, give or take. I don't really follow ebay's numbers, nor trust their quality of goods. I'd pay up/trade up for a Rev 2 from my Rev 3 anyday, so maybe those go for nearer $2800-3k.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:27 pm

After stupidly selling my minty 3.3 at the beginning in January, I spent the rest of the year trying different poly synths - Prophet 08, Jupiter 6, Poly Evolver, until I realized - I just want a P5! Well, my early xmas present to myself arrived yesterday - damn does it feel good to be back playing one! Aesthetically, its not as minty as my first one, but it just had a $1000 service and plays like a dream!

This time, shes here for good!