Your Rig---but 20 Years Ago

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Your Rig---but 20 Years Ago

Post by space6oy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:11 pm

20 years ago pretty sure all i had was my first little electric guitar & combo amp. still have 'em both. :ugeek:

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:41 pm

You guys make me feel like a baby. I was in diapers 20 years ago. Awesome gear though. Didn't read everything but hope some of you didn't sell your most valuable goods...

Jay200MPH
Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Post by Jay200MPH » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 pm

20 years ago I was ten years old; I'm not exactly sure when but sometime around that age I got a Casio rompler-thing (dodgy brain says CT-656??) with built in speakers. I didn't use it that much, for "composing" I would have been rocking this:

We never had a "real" Adlib but my parents pirated the program from somewhere, it ran fine on any reference OPL2/3 soundcard. It had a 2-op additive/subtractive instrument editor too. I've been sorely tempted to write a review for the main site but I'm not sure how well it would be received.

I don't think I have any of my songs from that era, but don't worry, I'm sure they were horrible. I also made music using the "play" command in GW-basic.

I eventually graduated to a not-really-tracker called KingMod which was so clunky and unloved I can't even find a screenshot of it. A couple years later Scream Tracker 3 came out and I introduced myself to "real" tracking. I can still listen to some of my "late" ST3/IT era tunes without wincing, so I guess I did alright with that.

Good times...

Actually I've been noodling around fairly recently with Adlib Composer and IT under DOSBox. I never knew "back in the day" that IT could be used to sequence real MIDI instruments. The timing & implementation is ROCK solid! But unfortunately DOSBox lacks the soundcard support to play MIDI and samples at the same time with it. I may have to go dig out my real Gravis Ultrasound at some point.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:42 pm

GWBasic? Ahaha. I used to make music on my ZX Spectrum 128, with its amazing 3-channel sound and white noise generator! It also had an RS232 port on the back which doubled as a MIDI output. Oh yes.

20 year ago I was getting to grips with my Juno 6. It was my first proper synth, after the regulation Yamaha Portasound and home-computer abuse, as well as leaving my band in a huff because they didn't want me any more... but they had two guitarists and no bass, so whatever. Over the next couple of years I got myself a Casio RZ-1, TR-606, Phonic PMC-1202B mixer, Yamaha TX81Z, Ensoniq Mirage, and later a Midiverb IV. Still have all of those except the Casio. I also started DIYing back then, and have a photo from the mid 90s of my very, very 80s bedroom with all that in there... before I had the Phonic mixer I used a Laney PA, left over from the band, which had a spring reverb in the head. I liked that reverb.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:02 pm

The TR-505 seems to be a very popular machine around here. I hated it at the time, what I really wanted was a TR-707. Then I discovered samplers. :)

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:38 pm

My set up in 1993 at my parents house. I recorded everything into the two Alesis MMT8's switching parts in and out live whilst recording to tape and LOTS of background hiss! If I made a mistake, I had to start the track all over again from scratch.

How things have changed! :D
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:40 am

CZ Rider wrote: Image

:shock: :shock: :shock:
sweet juicy analog nectar of the synth gods, that is a nice set-up!
Can we hear it all in action anywhere?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:06 am

CZ Rider wrote:20 years ago, had the same setup I had for quite a long time. From around 1980 to about 1998 was the same pair of Minimoogs a chopped Hammond L-100 and a CS-80. Had a Mu-tron bi-phase and EP-4 Echoplex for FX, and a crappy Tapco keyboard mixer. Still own them all today.
Ha ha ha, lameeee. In 1992, we would have just totally laughed at you.

And then in 1995, we might have looked with interest.
And then in 2000, we would have punched ourselves in the face for laughing at you.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:52 am

I've used Impulse Tracker intensely using an SB32 followed by an SB-live, and managed to talk/mail some features into it. I've done movies, tv leaders, commercials etc. with it.. :P I always was fighting the 99 samples limit. So, my somewhat extreme usage was:
- create the core tune using those 99 'basic' samples
- when ready, make new tunes from individual instruments by loading 99 dedicated samples for that instrument (e.g. load 99 violin samples for that one violin channel).
- export all tracks, and mix 'm elsewhere

Before IT1 and IT2, I've put some years into Scream Tracker 3, using a Gravis Ultrasound. Then followed by a GUS PnP. prior to that I didn't have a PC.

During the early IT-years I've sampled about everything I could get hold of (synths, keyboards). Not the presets 'n stuff, but the bare ROM sounds by straightening all envelopes and filters, everything bone dry. Then find out where the key groups were located and sample the lowest entry, then loop it accurately. Did this with equipment like: Roland JV1000, XP-50, Technics KN6000 and tens of other things..

Nowadays I use reViSiT, which is an evolution of IT's layout/hotkeys in form of a VSTi.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:53 am

It's funny to me that anyone would find the sound of analog synths lame but I remember when that was the popular opinion. I am an oddball in that I never thought they sounded lame. For me, synths didn't become lame until the 80's.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Cumulus wrote:It's funny to me that anyone would find the sound of analog synths lame but I remember when that was the popular opinion. I am an oddball in that I never thought they sounded lame. For me, synths didn't become lame until the 80's.
People thought analog synths sounded lame because so many of them had used analog synths to simulate other instruments. In the 80s, when synths started to better be able to simulate other instruments, people felt like synthesizers had improved. Analog synths were also comparatively limited in timbral scope, which meant that most of the sounds they made sounded dated to people in the 80s. And, lastly, we must remember how back in the old days the entire pop culture changed utterly and completely every decade... unlike now, when it's easy to imagine using a sound from the aughts, or even the 90s, without inspiring the revulsion using a sound from the 70s would have generated in the 80s.

But I agree. Synths became organs in the 80s.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:52 pm

The analogue thing is mad. I paid £50 for my first CS-5 back in 92. But the classics like the Minimoog were still pricey back then. Analogue never went out of fashion. It's silly now though. I sold that CS-5 for 9 times that 2 years ago. It's worth more now, even though it's not a great synth.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Have to say I'm mighty impressed with b3groover's dad running twin G5 towers in 1982. 8-)

asohn
Gear: Moog Voyager, SH-101, Analogue Solutions Vostok, MKS-80, Korg Polysix, Juno 60, Roland JX8P, Moog MG-1, x0xb0x, SCI Sixtrak
Band: All Hazards

Post by asohn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 pm

I can really only go back 10 years. In 2001, I was 15. I had Fruity Loops on a Sony laptop, I believe some sort of M-Audio interface, and really had no idea what I was doing...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:14 pm

masstronaut wrote:Have to say I'm mighty impressed with b3groover's dad running twin G5 towers in 1982. 8-)
Ha, ya, I was wondering what those are too! :)