best DX7 software/ patch editing program for mac

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zardoz677

best DX7 software/ patch editing program for mac

Post by zardoz677 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 am

Hey again everyone, sorry I know I posted another thread a while back on the DX7 when I first bought it , but I am about 3/4 through the Massey book (just on the last section on advanced programming!!!) and Im really wanting to get started with doing some editing on one of those computer programs where it lets you visualize the rates and levels. I went out and bought an m audio midi- usb interface, so that parts out of the way..
Now in terms of programs, I know someone posted a link to the FM alive program which looks really cool, but the problem is, it says I have to use a PC emulator like "parallels desktop" which is a lot of money and Im not sure I want to get into that whole thing, unless its totally worth it. Midi Quest and Midi quest xl keep popping up, has anyone used either of these?

any suggestions on what I should go with would be very appreciated. If you feel that its really worth it to get the PC emulator and just run FM alive, then please let me know however if you have other ideas those are welcome.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Re: best DX7 software/ patch editing program for mac

Post by mharris80 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 am

have you considered JSynthLib? It's cross platform and written in Java, so it'll run on Mac. I use it in Linux with my DX7 emulation, and it works pretty well.

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 am

by emulation do you mean you use a DX7 softsynth? Is the programming the same? Do you find JsynthLib to be good in terms of visualizing the levels and rates?

mharris80
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 am

zardoz677 wrote:by emulation do you mean you use a DX7 softsynth? Is the programming the same? Do you find JsynthLib to be good in terms of visualizing the levels and rates?
Yeah, it's a DSSI plugin called Hexter. Great sounding softsynth, but devoid of a GUI past patch names/performance settings. Even responds to the same SYSEX commands as a real DX7.

As far as visualization goes, JSynthLib shows a picture of an envelope for the rates/levels. The only real downside to this is you've gotta drag the points out yourself. It'll tell you in a little box to the right what the current value is, but you can't manually enter it in.

roger trout mask

Post by roger trout mask » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:28 am

ah thankyou, great help to me also. is this Massey book available anywhere still?, i cant find
cheers
roger

mharris80
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:25 am

roger trout mask wrote:ah thankyou, great help to me also. is this Massey book available anywhere still?, i cant find
cheers
roger
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... &hilit=DX7

Scroll down a bit to the post by Joshy. PDF copy, .rar compressed.

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 pm

ok I just got jsynthlib and I have hooked up my midi adapter to the usb port and to the synth and nothing is happening... Does anyone know how to actually get started with the program, the documentation explains what all the functions do but doesnt really mention how to get things working initially... Is there supposed to be some sort of computer model of the dx7 controls that pops up or something? Really any quick tips on how to get things started would be really helpful.

mharris80
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:54 am

zardoz677 wrote:ok I just got jsynthlib and I have hooked up my midi adapter to the usb port and to the synth and nothing is happening... Does anyone know how to actually get started with the program, the documentation explains what all the functions do but doesnt really mention how to get things working initially... Is there supposed to be some sort of computer model of the dx7 controls that pops up or something? Really any quick tips on how to get things started would be really helpful.
1. Click on "Window" then "Preferences"
2. Click on the "Synth Driver" tab and click the "Add" button.
3. Select DX7
4. Click the "MIDI" tab, and make sure your interface is listed for both in and out.
5. Click ok, then click "Library" select "New Library"
6. Click "Patch" and select "New Patch".
7. If all goes well, it'll give you the option of "Yamaha DX7 Single Voice".
8. Right click on the new patch and select "Edit"

roger trout mask

Post by roger trout mask » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 am

@by mharris80
thanks that was a great help to me, ive got that jsynthlib working on my mac, just need to work out what it all means!
=months of reading about fm synthesis !!

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:37 am

yea thanks allot! Im not at my home computer right now but I will try thins as soon as I get home.

roger trout mask

Post by roger trout mask » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 am

i had midi trouble at first but got some wee program that seemed to get stuff to kick in, ive only had my dx7s 3 days but im in love already. im having trouble loading multiple patches into my dx, at the mo im just using the edit single patch then send, hmmm