New Moog apparently...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
redchapterjubilee

Re: New Moog apparently...

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Funny that this is pretty much the same as the Vermona Mono Lancet (loses some waveforms and the modular expander, gains USB midi and an envelope) for almost the same price but people seem to be going more nuts over this. The I've played with the Vermona and it sounds very moogy and very good.
I own a Lancet and it completely cops that Moog vibe up top, and it is definitely more flexible than the Minitaur...but it just doesn't have that serious obesity in the low end that I miss from the Source and Little Phatties I've owned. Actually, the Lancet reminds me more of the MG-1's I've owned where it sizzles right up top but I had a hard time getting it produce THAT Moog bass sound. I am betting the Minitaur will get me there for quite a bit less than going vintage again, 100% knobby and no presets (I've kinda gone the other way round the bend regarding presets since I'm either recording or improvising live). I will be purchasing one as soon as they are available.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: Wonder how the audio input works without a knob on the panel for it? Maybe it's just always on and to hear it without the oscs you just turn them down?
Same as the LP I'd guess, with the external audio level into the filter being governed externally by the output level of whatever you're plugging into it. Lower the internal osc levels to lose them, as you rightly ponder.

Never had a problem with that way of working myself, but I suppose that's a matter of preference.

I like the look of this Minitaur... It does look like a response to the Lancet, but both seem to lack little elements that will either be a deal-breaker for some, or a complete non-issue, depending how one looks at it.

Maybe I missed the info, but I hope they implement polychain on this.

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 pm

doubt they'd be able to poly chain - it only has a midi in..

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 pm

DIN Midi - could be used for polychaining (I think).
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm

I played it yesterday.
The first thing I said was "is there EQ happening through the amplification?"
When the answer was "no," I said "This is the first modern Moog product I'm going to buy."

It sounds fantastic, it has everything you need, and it has a low end which is absolutely staggering. I'm smitten.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Hey, AG, would you describe the Minitaur as a strictly bass synthesizer? How high can it go?

It's a shame it doesn't have osc sync.

- CM

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I played it yesterday.
When the answer was "no," I said "This is the first modern Moog product I'm going to buy."

It sounds fantastic, it has everything you need, and it has a low end which is absolutely staggering. I'm smitten.
Thanks for the input. I've been wanting the Mono Lancet for the longest time and I'm almost ready to buy. At first I almost ruled out the mintaur due to the absence of a noise generator. However, the PRIMARY function for a mono lancet in my setup was going to be a bass synth. I can live without a noise generator, I can even add a digital noise source through a DAW or just use my other synths for noise sounds. I think I just changed my mind ; I think I'll hold out for the minitaur.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I played it yesterday.

As skeptical and cynical as I am about any new Moog product these days, I do think this looks pretty cool. I like that it's totally stripped down, but obviously capable of making whatever "moog"-derived sound you'd want. The only thing that seems to be lacking is Kbd>filter tracking, but at least there's a filter CV input.

And if it gets AG's approval, all the better! Where would you say this falls soundwise in the pantheon of moog products?
Do you even post on vse bro?

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 pm

how bout a pic o the thing

2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Carey M wrote:How high can it go?
I was also wondering how many octaves it will reliably track...
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:It's not like you need patch storage for a 2 osc monosynth with very limited modulation options.
Besides there is CC control for every knob and button over MIDI
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 pm

I already pre-ordered mine at Nova Musik. They're taking an additional 50 off for preferred buyers. So 559.00 for that bad boy, it's totally worth it! Definite pick up for my studio.
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:"This is the first modern Moog product I'm going to buy."
So you didn't buy an iPad after all? :lol:

Last edited by Cybercardinal on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: I said "This is the first modern Moog product I'm going to buy."
You're really missing out on some awesome effects in the MoogerFooger line then. Especially the phaser.

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm

i would love to hear this badboy doing some acid-y lines :)
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first