New Moog apparently...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bouzoukijoe1

Re: New Moog apparently...

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:hmm, you know the more I think about it, this really is a smart move from moog. Really other than live players, the biggest market for analog synths (which is actually a pretty limited target group to begin with) would have to be average people with laptops producing tunes - give 'em the real deal that everyone talks about (analog), with USB (plug and play), desktop format (convenient), from the big name brand (hipster following [ducks as book is thrown. :lol: ]), plus use all that preexisting R&D and sell it for chips.

This one's going to sell big time, kinda feel Korg's just been shat on. Monotron, huh? what monotron? They already missed out on the whole stocking filler timeline, now this beast is out no one's going to give a flying monkey's about the monotrons.

...Nice job moog ;)
Moog has always been in the forefront as far as appeasing people who aren't ready to commit to a $1000+ purchase but really want high quality brand name analog gear, ever since they released the foogers. bridging the gap between high end luxury and modern day affordability is really in the DNA of the Moog company. and in some ways, not really fair to compare literally to the Monotron since Korg dropped the ball with analog every since the 80's. Moog DNA has always been about making high end affordable. Korg DNA on the other hand is the opposite. there's Bentley, then Cadillac, then Honda. Korg is a Honda. forget the wood and the metal for a second, and just based on flexibility and quality, even the foogers are way ahead of the Monotrons.

as far as sub-$1000 high quality analog, Moog, DSI, and Doepfer are in the lead. foogers came out in 1998, the Mopho in 2008, the Dark Energy in 2010, and the Monotron in 2010. Korg has A LOT of catching up to do. and they are in fact in a shitty position right now because of the rise of softsynths and the resurgence of analog. they're stuck in the middle basically and they have to retool half of their business to catch up with the trend, unless they can keep coming out with innovative user interfaces over software, like the Kaossilator. that's their main edge.

at this point, what they really need to do is one up the Minitaur. I totally agree with you that this is going to sell. maybe even more than the Dark Energy. big game changer. and nice job indeed, Moog. :clap:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:48 pm

It should be noted that this synthesizer is specifically a BASS synthesizer. I played it yesterday quite extensively, and it is not meant to be your standard full-pitch-range synthesizer.
That being said... if you want a Moog for bass, you shouldn't care that that is the case. It is incredibly diverse in sound and functionality for a bass synthesizer, and everything it does sounds really really good.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Another modern Moog synth without a noice generator. Am I the only one considering a noice circuit as a standard part of an analog synth?

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:59 pm

depulse wrote:Another modern Moog synth without a noice generator. Am I the only one considering a noice circuit as a standard part of an analog synth?
This is the only modern Moog without a noise generator. There IS a noise generator on the Phatty.
The Minitaur is a bass synth. While any synth is better with more functions, a noise generator isn't very necessary on a bass synth.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

realtrance

Post by realtrance » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Man, if this sounds anything remotely like the old Moog Taurus.... I'd buy it in an instant if I had the discretionary income to do so! ;)

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 pm

i wonder how this stacks up to the mg-1/ rouge and other cheap moog synths. i bet it wont really lower prices in the used market any. i kind of have been thinking about selling my moog to buy a couple modules for a modular, but its the only synth i have that sounds the way it does. it doesnt really sound like a "moog" to me, probably because of how i play it. but i wonder how well this new synth will go over. its good to see menus gone. i usually use software, but i like my analogs very "bare"

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I played it yesterday quite extensively, and it is not meant to be your standard full-pitch-range synthesizer.
Outside of no keytracking for the filter or octave ranges for the VCOs, what else is an issue? Is there a limitation to how many octaves you can play over MIDI?

BTW the specs claim release can be set on/off individually for both EGs but there's only one button...what's up with that?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 pm

depulse wrote:Another modern Moog synth without a noice generator. Am I the only one considering a noice circuit as a standard part of an analog synth?
Funny... I practically never use - or want - noise on a mono.
Do you even post on vse bro?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Ditto. I do, however, like noise on my polys though. Actually useful there, to me that is.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 am

Sir Ruff wrote: Funny... I practically never use - or want - noise on a mono.
Guess you're not a Vince Clarke fan? :)
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:50 pm

synthparts wrote:
Guess you're not a Vince Clarke fan? :)
I am... but being a fan doesn't mean I want to sound like him! ;)

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:It should be noted that this synthesizer is specifically a BASS synthesizer. I played it yesterday quite extensively, and it is not meant to be your standard full-pitch-range synthesizer.
That being said... if you want a Moog for bass, you shouldn't care that that is the case. It is incredibly diverse in sound and functionality for a bass synthesizer, and everything it does sounds really really good.
Word has it it's middle c to -5 .... Can you confirm ?
Still curious on the "extra" midi functions too .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:24 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Why particularly on a mono?

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 am

cgren72 wrote:i wonder how this stacks up to the mg-1/ rouge and other cheap moog synths. i bet it wont really lower prices in the used market any. i kind of have been thinking about selling my moog to buy a couple modules for a modular, but its the only synth i have that sounds the way it does. it doesnt really sound like a "moog" to me, probably because of how i play it. but i wonder how well this new synth will go over. its good to see menus gone. i usually use software, but i like my analogs very "bare"
Im quite certain this is going to push rogue and mg-1 prices up for a ultrasimple reason both have keys, instant sound and analog, ive got 1 mg1 and 5 rogues so those machines are going up shortly, as to the new moog product a wise move we are not in good economic times to be buying large new synths, its a sensible launch.
yamoto773

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Ah.. just when it looked like Moog was going to take over the desktop mono-market with the Minitaur, comes word that Ken MacBeth is still planning to release the Minimac - basically a desktop equivelant of the minimoog... I realize this will probably be pricier than every other comparable desktop mono out there and have no idea on price, but I'd say anything near $1000 would make this pretty desirable.

EDIT: looks like it will clock in around 1k pounds ($1500).

(pic stolen from MW thread)
tekkentool wrote:
Why particularly on a mono?
er.. I just don't use noise a lot in general, mono or poly, unless it has some modulation function. Saying that, I have found it useful in some cases for making cymbal sounds.
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.