New Moog apparently...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Re: New Moog apparently...

Post by bochelli » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Ah.. just when it looked like Moog was going to take over the desktop mono-market with the Minitaur, comes word that Ken MacBeth is still planning to release the Minimac - basically a desktop equivelant of the minimoog... I realize this will probably be pricier than every other comparable desktop mono out there and have no idea on price, but I'd say anything near $1000 would make this pretty desirable.

(pic stolen from MW thread)
tekkentool wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote: Funny... I practically never use - or want - noise on a mono.
Why particularly on a mono?
er.. I just don't use noise a lot in general, mono or poly, unless it has some modulation function. Saying that, I have found it useful in some cases for making cymbal sounds.
Its not very pretty, i will stick to the little minitaur for now .
yamoto773

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:52 pm

bochelli wrote: Its not very pretty, i will stick to the little minitaur for now .
Ok.
Do you even post on vse bro?

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bochelli » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:58 pm

As ive already mentioned , this is a sensible product from moog, not too hard on the wallet small portable and sounds quite good, i wish them well with this little chap.
yamoto773

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:35 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
bochelli wrote: Its not very pretty, i will stick to the little minitaur for now .
Ok.
That is just the prototype. The finished layout, case, and knobs looks like this:
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bochelli » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:57 am

Sir Nose wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Ok.
That is just the prototype. The finished layout, case, and knobs looks like this:
A little better but i will still take the minitaur, the minimoog road is getting a well used one now , its time to move on to other things, perhaps a new concept of module the rotary dials are not new , how about voice activated ?
yamoto773

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:49 am

cgren72 wrote:i wonder how this stacks up to the mg-1/ rouge and other cheap moog synths. i bet it wont really lower prices in the used market any. i kind of have been thinking about selling my moog to buy a couple modules for a modular, but its the only synth i have that sounds the way it does. it doesnt really sound like a "moog" to me, probably because of how i play it. but i wonder how well this new synth will go over. its good to see menus gone. i usually use software, but i like my analogs very "bare"
Despite being the international fanboy for the MG-1, I have to say that the MG-1 is probably the least-bassy Moog ever, due a number of its limitations.
As for the Rogue, the Minitaur is better because of the filter architecture, which actually differs from non-Taurus Moogs.
It has a seriously incredible low end.
That being said, if you're looking for a full-range monosynth, this is not what you're looking for. If you're looking for Moog bass, this IS what you're looking for.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:52 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I played it yesterday quite extensively, and it is not meant to be your standard full-pitch-range synthesizer.
Outside of no keytracking for the filter or octave ranges for the VCOs, what else is an issue? Is there a limitation to how many octaves you can play over MIDI?

BTW the specs claim release can be set on/off individually for both EGs but there's only one button...what's up with that?
Not so fast, sir.
The pitch knob for VCO2 goes an octave above on the plus end, and an octave below on the negative end.
There is a limitation of how many octaves it will play, yes... although I didn't note which octaves those were in my work with it.
If the Release button works with the filter EG, I didn't explore that!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:57 am

Sir Nose wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Ok.
Think you're mixing models - no idea what this is, but maybe you're thinking of the Vortex? In it's most recent form, the minimac is as it is in the photo I posted.
Do you even post on vse bro?

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 am

Sir Nose wrote:That is just the prototype. The finished layout, case, and knobs looks like this:
No, that was an "in-between" prototype design, after the first Micromac and before the Vortex.
I think the Micromac will look like the latest pictures (the black model above) since he says it is almost ready for production.
But we'll just have to wait and see.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:09 am

Concerning the Micromac, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I think that black version above looks cool as h**l.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:42 am

bochelli wrote:Its not very pretty, i will stick to the little minitaur for now .
Buying synths based on what they look like: truly the best way of doing things.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bochelli » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:42 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
bochelli wrote:Its not very pretty, i will stick to the little minitaur for now .
Buying synths based on what they look like: truly the best way of doing things.
I think so, it might just explain why ive just bought another 203a polymoog , you cant store patches and i dont care still looks sleek, dave luce i salute you.
yamoto773

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:26 pm

No noise is actually a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I use it on a lot of my bass sounds. Makes them crunchy.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:59 pm

tekkentool wrote:No noise is actually a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I use it on a lot of my bass sounds. Makes them crunchy.
Get a cheap (free?) pocket transistor radio, tune it in between stations, then plug it into the Audio IN.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:48 pm

That trick is so awesome for a lot of stuff. They're already starting to make eurorack radio modules :lol: